Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Can I fix my PS3

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By s10129107

There's some sort of a problem with the disk drive. The motor perhaps. Some discs will work some wont.

BlueRay Movies - Yes

DVDs - No

Games - No

So the discs that don't work all seem a bit thicker and i can hear the disc drive chug when its spinning them. Sometimes they'll work for a little while and stop. Is it something wrong with the motor or is there something just stuck in the disc drive. Does anybody know how to check?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By turboman

weird that it plays bluray movies and not bluray games.. Haven't ever heard of this problem, but if you're willing to open up your PS3 and move some stuff around yourself, I'm sure you could find spare disc drives on eBay (If that's even the problem)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By nintendoeats

I know that the PS3 at school (not the one I got to now sadly) would only play games if you loaded up a game or demo from the HDD and then booted to the disc from the XMB while in game.

it's possible that it is having difficulty with dual-layered discs, in which case your boned.

DM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By DM

I was playing persona 3 and now my system turns on beeps twice and turns itself off. Anyone have this problem?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By mosespippy

@DM: That's the yellow light of death, which actually just means general hardware failure. Sometimes it's fixable, sometimes it isn't. Look up some tutorials on how to fix it and try them out, but any fix is only going to last a couple months at best. I tried everything with my original 60GB model except for changing the mother board and the bluray drive and it still wouldn't work so I eventually bought a new one.

DM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DM
    @mosespippy thank 's ,but god dammit I was hoping it wasent that. I got it to work yesterday for a bit. Then when I tried to turn it back on it was busted again. I should have transferred my saves when I had a chance.
    Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Lava

@DM: gophermods.com will fix your PS3 for a lot cheaper than Sony and they wont erase your hard drive or anything. I've used them to fix my original PS3 back when that thing still had life. They are pretty quick too.

DM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DM
    @Lava thanks for the tip. Gonna look into it.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By NTM

Picard's angry because his ancient PS3 broke.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Marcsman

I had the DVD laser go on a PS2. maybe it is something the same.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By psylah

@s10129107:

How old is the PS3?

A replacement lens assembly costs about 35 bucks, and takes only a few screws and a few ribbon cables to get it out and replaced.

If you're comfortable taking apart a piece of electronics equipment, you'll be fine. There are plenty of walkthroughs to watch out there.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Lava

@DM: No problem, good luck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.