Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Can I transfer save data from my 60 GB PS3 to slim 120 GB PS3?

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By CraigAA1028

Is there a type of cable I'd be able to buy. Part of me wants the new model because, well, it's new. But I won't if I have to go through a complex process to transfer my game and save data.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ben_H

I don't have a PS3 but can't you store data on USB flash drives and hook up external drives with the USB?  Could you perhaps transfer your data using one of those methods?  I think you can.  Look up on how to change drives and transfer for regular PS3s.  I imagine the process would be similar or identical except it would be to a different system.  I'm sure Sony will have an easy way to because I doubt they want to abandon current owners who wish to upgrade.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By asurastrike
    @CraigAA said:

" Is there a type of cable I'd be able to buy. Part of me wants the new model because, well, it's new. But I won't if I have to go through a complex process to transfer my game and save data. "

Why would you replace your backwards compatible PS3 with one that isn't? You know you can just buy a bigger harddrive for your existing model right?

And yes, you can transfer save data on a USB flash drive.
    ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ververdan0226
    @CraigAA said:

" Is there a type of cable I'd be able to buy. Part of me wants the new model because, well, it's new. But I won't if I have to go through a complex process to transfer my game and save data. "

I don't believe that there's a direct cable. Correct me if I'm wrong people, but the only option I think is to export all your media, saves and games into an external hard drive or memory unit and then put it back into your new 120 GB Slim. Sorry.

And by the way, you have a PS3, why are you upgrading (or downgrading for you naysayers) to the PS3 Slim, especially in this economy? If anything, you just upgrade your hard drive, I don't see the bother  or waste of money in doing the upgrade and having to transfer all your media.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

Why would you get a Slim?  Doesn't the 60gb model have backward compatibility?  If it does, just buy a new hard-drive for it.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By choffy21

Plug in a USB Drive, and on the XMB, go to "Save Data Utility," press ▲, then select Copy.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By FCKSNAP

This all about being slimmer isn't it?

You can use the backup feature under the system settings and then restore on your new unit, which will make everything identical on both machines. BUT anything designated as copy-protected will not be carried over to a machine with a different serial number.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.