Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Considering getting a PS3 ...

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamerpigeon

okay so i know a topic like this pops up every week but hell no one seems to mind ...

im already a very happy 360 Fanboy tbh

So basically im considering buying a ps3 and would like to know a few things from the people who already own the platform .

these few things are the following

- what EXCLUSIVES are worth getting ? ... as any non exclusive will be bought on the 360 for Achievements
    - how good is Backwards Compatibility? ... ps1 as well as ps2
    - Is importing games and then playing them as easy at it sounds?
    - What are the Negatives? (there are always some so honesty would be totally cool)
    - are you satisfied?

just for the record i am a owner of both a playstation and ps2 , these were bought as the main platforms in my house i.e bought first in the corrensponding generations.
    i love fighting games so the import part is really key

cheers and thanks

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By AaronBelfast
    Exclusives :

Metal Gear Solid 4: The best game I've played this gen, period.
    Uncharted Drake's Fortune: Awesome graphics, gameplay is solid and it's relativley cheap.
    Heavenly Sword: I had fun, but it was a bit too short.
    Ratchet And Clank ToD: My most loved series that dates back to the PS2 days, this is a good addtion to the series. Also if you buy this don't forget Quest For Booty which is a PSN download.
    Folklore: Meh, the demo wasn't for me but most other people I know seem to like it
    Resistance Fall Of Man: It was good-not great- but good value if you can find it quite cheap.
    Wipeout HD
    Siren Blood Curse: Dont own it however played it at a friends house and it was the best horror game I've ever played, me playing was short lived as I didn't play it for very long
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma: Gameplay was good, only get it if you like a challenge

PS1 is BC for any SKU, however PS2 BC is only compatible with the 60gb SKU and the older 80gb SKU.

Importing games is as easy as it sounds, PS3s are region free so you can imprt games from anywhere

Negatives: Lack of headsets from other users, Sony's broken promises gets frustrating, multiplats on PS3 are terrible, avoid PS3 ports as much as you can, SOny don't cater to the fans like Microsoft does with their install base.

Satisfied? HELL YEAH!
    gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gamerpigeon

thanks for such an awesome answer dude , Siren sounds cool ive never heard of it before

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

Yes, importing is as easy as buying and just playing.

Exclusives and Future exclusives: Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted (and a possible sequel), inFAMOUS, Final Fantasy XIII Versus (as far as I know), DC Universe, MAG, Heavy Rain, God of War 3, Killzone 2, White Knight Chronicles, Tekken 6, The Agency, SOCOM Confrontation, Motorstorm 2, Warhawk, Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank,
    Jak 4? (you never know) 14 supposed unnannounced games at TGS.

BC is not good at all unless you get the 80 GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle. All other versions as far as I know have no BC for PS2 games. I am not sure if it also pertains to PS1 games.

Negatives include price, lack of full trophy support for most past games and still some future games coming out this year, even for multi-platform games there tends to be exclusive DLC only available for the 360 version (this includes games like Tomb Raider Underworld, GTAIV, and Fallout 3).

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By AaronBelfast
    Future exclusives: From the top of my head...

Resistance 2
    LittleBigPlanet
    SOCOM
    TEAM ICO
    Tekken 6
    White Knight Story
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Grand Turismo 5
    God Of War III
    MAG
    HOME
    Killzone 2
    Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
    Heavy Rain
    L.A Noire (Exclusive as far as I know)

Brainstorming for three minutes, that's all I could think of.

Edit: Damm it someone beat me to it.
    gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gamerpigeon

i personally think tekken 6 will be the deciding factor as if it really is a PS£ exclusive now and forever a PS£ will have to be within my possesion by the time that game comes out

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kush

1) Exclusives to play (not all must-buys):

• Metal Gear Solid 4
    • Ratchet and Clank (both)
    • Resistance: Fall of Man
    • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    • Folklore
    • Wipeout HD
    • Pixel Junk Monsters
    • LittleBigPlanet
    ...and plenty of upcoming titles that you likely already know about...

2) BC is alright on the 80GB. It's not great, but it's not horrible.
    3) Importing is as easy as it sounds. No matter where the game is from...it will play. Though you should really be concerned about this since you own both a PS1 and PS2.
    4) Negatives: Mandatory installs which may inevitably turn into a problem depending on your HDD size. Trophy support is laughable and may be for a while....The BC on the 80GB can sometimes be really bad.
    5) Satisfied? Yes...I don't currently have a working PS2 and I own a 60GB PS3 so I love having full BC and I do enjoy the few exclusives...and I enjoy watching Blu-rays (don't forget about that as an added positive).
    Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Pibo47

Get a PS3, its worth it.

The good. It has some good games, and BLU-RAY!!!!
    The bad. PSN sucks, well...until home comes out. Installs are dumb. And get a 80gig....other wise your going to run outa room. fast.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see a number have already replied to your post, but I will throw my two cents in for a go too.

Exclusives I dig:

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune
    Resistance FoM
    MotorStrom
    Heavenly Sword
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Gran Turismo5 Prologue

upcoming exclusives I'm excited for:

Motorstorm Pacific Rift
    Resistance2
    Little Big Planet
    Killzone 2
    Heavy Rain

Backwards compatibility depends on what model you get.

20/60gb = full PS1 & 99.9% PS2 hardware BC
    first 80gb = full PS1, about 96% PS2 hardware/software
    40gb / second 80gb = full PS1, NO PS2
    160gb = full PS1, NO PS2

The "NO PS2" is as of right now. If they add software emulation in the future than it'll change. Also, the only models available now are the second 80gb and the 160gb models with the old 80gbs and then 40gbs being phased out. The 20 and 60 gb models have been gone for a while now. Lastly, PS1 is fully supported in all models.

Importing - All Blu-Ray PS3 games are region free (there might be some very small exceptions) and thus importing a game from another region is only limited by your ability to read it in w/e language it's in.

Negatives - BC support seems to be all over the place! They started strong with near perfect PS2 and PS1 support, and it's been taken out bit by bit ever since. But honestly, if you're about the new games - BC isn't that big of an issue. Sony also seems slow on rolling out services and features. IE - custom soundtracks, it's out, but they leave it up to the dev to include it in their code, thus if a game doesn't support it that you cant use it - trophies seem slow to take off, some features are still being worked on. One thing that kinda bugs me is that there's no like "user sign in" like the 360 in terms of playing with budds. IE - sign into just about any multiplayer game (that i've played) on the 360 and you get to choose your account/character from the blade menu - where as PS3 games you just name some tar like we did in old games. Ha, forgot to add (had to edit) mandatory Installs! Ha - tho... it's only bad if you're using an smaller stock HDD.

Positives - Blu-Ray (it truly is gorgeous with an HDTV) , importing media (movie files, mp3s, pics etc) as easy as sticking a little usb thumb drive into the system and selecting "copy" from the XMB - same with exporting any of that content or game saves (for backup purposes). Free online play and services. Reliable hardware - very few reports of consoles just dying for some random reason. Finally, to sort of counter the whole "slow feature release" - Sony does seem to work hard to keep firmware updates plugged with new and cool features as well as improvements. Also, to counter the install thing I added - you can very easily slap in very large HDDs (i've got a 250gb)  in and can cost under $100.

Am I happy with my PS3? Totally.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Nets

After playing the LBP BETA, I couldn't be more excited for this game. I thought LBP would be this cool game and did some neat things but I wouldn't go back to it much, but damn, it blew me away. WipEout HD is a very good downloadable game for $20, and you get more than your money's worth. Upcoming games I'm excited for:
     SOCOM: Confrontation is a great 3rd person shooter
    Motorstorm: Pacific Rift: Monster truck esque Racer
     Bioshock (I can't wait for this, although you've probably already played it)
    Valkria Chronicles: Strategy RPG
     Resistance 2: Awesome FPS

Multiplats are not terrible on the PS3, most of them are pretty good. But since you have a 360, get multiplats for that, unless it's a fighter like Street Fighter 4.

Am I happy with my PS3? Hell yes, especially since Nintendo kept pissing me off. The only downside is that my 40GB is not backwards compatible and I've never had a PS2 (now interested in buying one). So I would have to buy a seperate PS2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.