Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Contemplating trading my 360 for a PS3...

• 92 results
    Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yit

Is this a good idea? I don't really play my 360 that much, and I REALLY want to play LBP. Is this a good idea? I'm not really interested in Fable II or Gears 2, so I don't really mind about that. Would anyone with any sense in their head even trade a PS3 for a 360?

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Player1

I seriously wouldn't. I recently got a ps3, and still find myself playing my 360 80% of the time. 

Plus everyone I have ever talked to that has done this has totally regretted it. 
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By kush

If you think you'll want to play LBP everyday for next year or so...There isn't that much to play on the PS3 if you can't find anything to play on the 360. ...and if you'll be trading in your 360 to a place like GS...you're not going to get that much for it either.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By samcotts

Well I bought a PS3 earlier this year, and I never thought it would replace my 360, but I've barely played my 360 at all since, the PS3 has taken centre stage in my room. It really depends on what games interest you, or what you friends own.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Pibo47

I would'nt trade a 360 for a PS3, but i would defenitly buy a PS3 to shack up with my 360. OOOOHHH YEEEAAHH

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By keyhunter

I would trade my PS3 for a PS2.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

Don't do it.  360 is stacked with killer exclusives, while PS3 only holds a couple.  You'll also get downgraded graphics on some of the better games out there, like Fallout 3, Bioshock, and UTIII.  Hell, anything that runs UE3 basically...which seems like half the games out there.

On top of which, I still feel like XBL is worth owning a 360 for.  Organized online gameplay is so nice.

PS3 definitely has its benefits, but they are few and far between for me personally.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This is a choice you would have to be 100% sure about making, I traded my xbox 360 and I don`t regret is 100% but I do sometimes wish I could play those certain games that will not be released on the ps3, but I could say the same thing about the 360. So it`s really based on your tastes in games, just be sure when you trade it, be 100% : )

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shadows_kill

if your not interested in the games coming out and you like the ones on a different system why not switch them? your not using it so go ahead and buy the ps3.

jakob187 said:

" UTIII. 
    On top of which, I still feel like XBL is worth owning a 360 for.  Organized online gameplay is so nice.

"
    but on our UT3 we get mods and 360 doesn't allow it unless m$ changed that.

psn is organized and pretty much the same (i only have a ps3 but i have played the xbox 360 at a friends house and i like psn set up more idk just do >_>) but most of these things are more of a matter of opinion.
    screwed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By screwed

Like people say, its all about personal opinions and what games you want.

For me, I bought a PS3 a couple of weeks ago and I had never owned either of the systems prior. I chose PS3 cause of the blu-ray player and rancom exclusive titles. I also try and keep up with PC hardware, and most of the games that were a system seller for the 360 for me, also seemed to come out on the PC (even Braid is getting a PC release).
    And also my roommate has a 360, so if there is really something I want on the 360 I can just play it on his system. So for me it was an easy choice.

But yeah, look at what games you want the most and go for the system that has those.

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MisterSpiffy
    samcotts said:
    "Well I bought a PS3 earlier this year, and I never thought it would replace my 360, but I've barely played my 360 at all since, the PS3 has taken centre stage in my room. It really depends on what games interest you, or what you friends own."
    Yeah, that's a big point too.  If you play online a lot, definitely stick with the console that your friends have.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shadows_kill
    MisterSpiffy said:
    "samcotts said:
    "Well I bought a PS3 earlier this year, and I never thought it would replace my 360, but I've barely played my 360 at all since, the PS3 has taken centre stage in my room. It really depends on what games interest you, or what you friends own."
    Yeah, that's a big point too.  If you play online a lot, definitely stick with the console that your friends have."
    or you can make new friends. theres also just save up for a ps3 and have twice as many friends.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By oldschool

Similar but different story for me.  I am trying to decide whether to get a PS3 or 360 to add to the Wii.  Both have so much going for them and going against them that I am circling around my decision in an eternal loop.

PS3:
    Blu-ray - don't care.
    Graphics - no big deal
    Reliability - good
    Games - really average, very few exclusives that appeal to me.
    Noise - quiet.
    Price - way too expensive.
    Online - average, but I am not an online user, but could be when my broadband is connected.
    Region lock - none and as a PAL user, perfect for importing.  This is in fact the single biggest factor about the PS3 and it is a positive.

360:
    Graphics - no big deal
    Reliability - extremely poor, so bad it is the single biggest factor about the 360 and very negative.
    Games - very good, lots of exclusives and especially interested in Japanese RPGs, not interested in shooting games.
    Noise - will make me feel like they built an international airport next door, not good.
    Price - much better than the PS3.
    Online - apparently very good, so could be good.
    Region lock - I like to import and really hate region locking (I imported an NTSC Wii and am not getting a 360 imported, just to die and cost to fix)

So, around that eternal loop of procrastination I go.  I figure I will still be deciding in a years time.  Today it is the PS3, tomorrow, probably not.

Have fun deciding.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldschool said:
    PS3:
    The price isn`t that high anymore.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By oldschool
    Bucketdeth said:
    "oldschool said:
    PS3:
    The price isn`t that high anymore."
    It is where I reside.  US $ 470, compared to the 360 (with hard drive) US $330 and the Wii US $ 270.  So I suppose it depends on local pricing.
    Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Nah man just when gears is about to come out =/  just save for a ps3 :P and keep your 360

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar

Speaking as someone that owns a PS3, I would say don't trade it in.

But, the next time the 360 dies on you. You get a PS3 instead to replace the 360.

And if there is no next time for your machine to die, you shouldn't need to switch.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf

I wouldn't. I can imagine missing the exclusives this winter.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

I would, but only because the only game I would ever play on 360 is gears. PS3 holds all my favorite game genres. It really depends on what you want to play.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Subway

I wouldn't, I've played quite a bit of PS3 and, I just don't enjoy it like I do my 360.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#22  Edited By Vinchenzo

I have a 360, I bought a PS3 in June. My PS3 has been used maybe a total of 15 hours since then, just turned it on today and turned it off again. Your choice, but have fun wasting your money like I did. Sorry, not trying to sound like a fanboy. I really wish I could have put my wasted $500 to good use. Might rent LBP tomorrow though.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

LBP is great, but you really need more than one reason to trade in a console.
    If you like tons of features and multimedia capabilities, or you really want something to give your HDTV what it's worth, I'd go with the PS3.

Jakob187 said:

"Don't do it.  360 is stacked with killer exclusives, while PS3 only holds a couple.  You'll also get downgraded graphics on some of the better games out there, like Fallout 3, Bioshock, and UTIII.  Hell, anything that runs UE3 basically...which seems like half the games out there."
    erm... killer exclusives? only a couple? Anyway, these exclusives you can get on PC.
    But wait... Only a couple?? You talking about MGS4, Uncharted, GT5, HS, R&C (series), Motorstorm (series), Resistance (series), SOCOM and LBP? Plus, the 2009 exclusives? Need I mention the big guns Heavy Rain and Killzone 2?  I could actually go on a lot longer, but I think I made my point >.>
    And he just said he isn't interested in Gears 2 or Fable II.
    And about the graphics... games that are being released on both the 360 and PS3 have little to no differences in the visual department nowadays.
    Heck, some are better on the PS3 like Burnout: Paradise, GTA IV and Dead Space.

Anyway, don't trade it in JUST for LittleBigPlanet. Make sure you really want it, and want more from it than just one game.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Demilich

If you have a decent gaming PC I say yes. If not, no.

Seeing as you don't care about Fable or Gears, PC will do everything a 360 does and more. PS3 has some pretty decent exclusives nowadays too.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Boiglenoight

Traded in my 360 for the MGS IV PS3 bundle.  While I miss some exclusive content like Gears of War, I've got MGS IV, Little Big Planet (which is the everlasting gobstopper of gaming, holy moses).  After playing Valkyria Chronicles, that's another must-have for the system that I don't believe is available on 360.  Overall though, I don't have to worry about the system dying quite as much as I did with the Xbox, which was on its way out for the second time in little over a year.

Oh, and Resistance 2 is getting good reviews as well.  The 8 player coop is pretty fun if a little mindless, and seems to be a nice mix of FPS and MMO.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By Cube

In the end, it's completely up to you. Weigh the pro's and con's of each system and decide which one seems better. For example, if Xbox LIVE is more important than Blu-ray capabilities, stick with the Xbox 360. Or if PS3 exclusives interest you more, go with the PS3. You can only go on what you feel is right.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself

don't trade!!  think how much money you spent on your 360 plus games that you've bought....whenever you trade anything in you get ripped off really bad....if you were to go out and buy a new game that was just released then the next day you decide you don't want that game so you go and trade it in...that game that you just paid $65 for gets you $15-20 bucks at gamestop...so you lose 40-45 bucks....that's a rip off scheme....keep your games even if you don't play them if you want trade with a friend then you don't lose anything...keep your system if you really want to play little big planet then wait and save the money you need to buy a ps3 then you don't have to worry about who's got the exclusives because then you've got both systems

bombHills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bombHills
    darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By darthzew

Keep your 360 and save until you can buy both. It's not an absolute, you can have both. 

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Oni

I don't even know what goes on in the mind of someone who wants to trade his 360 for a PS3, coming from a person who owns both, so there is nothing I can say to you except that I think you're crazy.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By thanatos990

the thing great about the Ps3 is hardware quality but with no killer software, just save up and buy both, I've been playing more PC then my console this gen

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By SpinCookie

I say do it, I did it and absolutely don't regret it.  It depends on what types of games you want to play.  I'm a huge Metal Gear fan so being able to play MGS4 was worth every penny for me.  Not to mention Uncharted, Resistance, Resistance 2, Valkyria Chronicles, and of course LittleBigPlanet.  LBP and MGS4 are pretty much the only system sellers, so if you really really want to play one of those two over Gears and Halo, then I say go for it.  I love it.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Emilio

I think you should contemplate saving up for a PS3.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'd have to say that a 360 to PS3 trade is one of the dumbest ideas ever.   On Giantspot (I mean Giantbomb), they've already out-ranked Gears 2 to Resistance 2.  Gears 2 = AAAAAE, R2 AAAAE.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AkumaX
    keyhunter said:
    "I would trade my PS3 for a PS2."
    Haha, why was this post so low rated. not only is it funny, but it raises a vaild point.

Hats off to you, Sir.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By shadows_kill
    AkumaX said:
    "keyhunter said:
    Haha, why was this post so low rated. not only is it funny, but it raises a vaild point.

Hats off to you, Sir."
    but your ps3 can play ps2 games. so why trade it then
    AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AkumaX
    shadows_kill said:
    "AkumaX said:
    "keyhunter said:

Hats off to you, Sir."
    but your ps3 can play ps2 games. so why trade it then"
    Most of them simply don't.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daniel_beck_90

never ever 
     stick with 360 , you will change your mind by the time Alan Wake comes out , trust me

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gameboi

Ultimately, it comes down to personal taste.  Xbox Live is the best part of the 360 (In my opinion), so if  achievements mean little to you, then then the playing field is leveled somewhat.  The Xbox 360 does have a larger game library, but if you're not playing it as it stands, you have nothing to lose -- since there are plenty of mulitplatform games that reside on the PS3 as well.

I own (and enjoy both), but chose to lean towards the PS3 for a reason that means a lot to me -- reliability.  The Xbox 360's hardware woes are well documented; not to mention that it can be incredibly noisy.

If  you prefer games like Halo, Fable, and Mass Effect over Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, and Resistance: Fall of  Man, then you might want to reconsider your switch.  If not, then you will feel right at home on the PS3.

With the exception of the aboved mention titles, my PS3 easily gets more playtime than my 360.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By shadows_kill
    AkumaX said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "AkumaX said:
    "keyhunter said:

Hats off to you, Sir."
    but your ps3 can play ps2 games. so why trade it then"
    Most of them simply don't."
    then get one that does o_O

daniel_beck_90 said:
    "never ever 
     stick with 360 , you will change your mind by the time Alan Wake comes out , trust me"
    ps3 has Heavy Rain.
    Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Wuffi

if killzone 2 turns out to be amazing then maybe, but online is more fun on 360 all my friends have one so i usually just end up playing ps3 by myself 

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I wouldn't do it just for one game.  If LBP totally seems like your thing though, and you don't think you'll get bored of it quickly, AND you can think of some other games you'll want, then you should keep your 360 and buy a new PS3 in full.  I don't get rid of my old consoles or games.  There's other stuff that takes up way more room than a boxed console and some games.  You'll be glad to go back and play anything you want when the mood strikes you.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Snail

I would, at least it never brakes and you got MGS4 and LBP and the online is for free. It s cheaper than any other blu-ray reader and comes with tons of stuff you have to pay extra on the 360.

CrimsonAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CrimsonAngel

The thing is most people her that come out with the " NOOOO DON'T DO IT" or "YES you should" are Fanboys of the highest degree and there manliness get put on the test every time some one thinks about swtiching either way.

The thing it is all about the games.
    What Exclusives and features are important to you.

Also don't listen to all the people who go "i regretted it i never use it" they are more or less full of shit.

They come in 2 variations.
    The Liers and the people who never buy games for the PS3 and there for bitch that they don't use it.

So all you can really do is think for your self.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Snail said:
    "I would, at least it never brakes and you got MGS4 and LBP and the online is for free. It s cheaper than any other blu-ray reader and comes with tons of stuff you have to pay extra on the 360."
    One big reason for me is also the fact that the discs are scratch proof.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By shadows_kill
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Snail said:
    "I would, at least it never brakes and you got MGS4 and LBP and the online is for free. It s cheaper than any other blu-ray reader and comes with tons of stuff you have to pay extra on the 360."
    One big reason for me is also the fact that the discs are scratch proof."
    blu ray disks do that too? never knew that >_>
    hendersonman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48  Edited By hendersonman

I definately would not trade my 360 in for one game. LBP was a verry disappointing game in my opinion. But hey its your system and if you want to trade it to gamestop for $100 off a ps3 go ahead.

jtickner1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jtickner1

Do it if you want, it's up to you. I absolutely love my PS3.

I recently just lay-buyed a X360 Elite and am paying it off slowly, you could just do that.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BestUsernameEver
    oldschool said:
    "Bucketdeth said:
    "oldschool said:
    PS3:
    The price isn`t that high anymore."
    It is where I reside.  US $ 470, compared to the 360 (with hard drive) US $330 and the Wii US $ 270.  So I suppose it depends on local pricing."
    Nope, it's $399.99 now. Same for an Elite I believe. But instead of getting more gigs in elite, you get a Blu-ray player and amazing graphics (when hooked up to a 1080i of higher with HDMI cables)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.