Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Do You Play PS2 Games on PS3 Through Backward Compatibility?

• 91 results
    artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By artgarcrunkle

No because I don't have a PS3 that can, but I definitely would if it could.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Revan_NL

I read an interview with a guy from Microsoft at the time of the launch of the Xbox 360. He claimed that according to their research it's not that gamers will use the function all that much, but it's important to have the option.

Oh and it would be insane if PSN games wouldn't be playable on the PS4

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

yes I do.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By McShank

@jakob187 said:

@Marz said:

I have an old Fat PS3 that can play PS2 games and PS1 games.

But DO YOU play PS2 and PS1 games on it? That's the question.

@Video_Game_King said:

How the hell would I?

Those with pre-Slim models had backward compatibility.

@C_Rakestraw said:

I don't have a PS3 with backward compatibility, so I can't even if I wanted to (and I have wanted to do so, sometimes).

...but you still bought a PS3, so it wasn't a deal breaker for you?

I would if i had a backwards compatable version,, Original ps3's are to god damn expensive,, and why would it be a deal breaker? its another console with better graphics, not a new version of the ps2..

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By DrPockets000

I think the outrage now comes from several people who are too young to treasure PS2 games. Additionally, if someone wants to play a PS2 game, they can buy a PS2 for under $40 and they're good to go. Such a case is significantly less likely when the PS4 rolls around.

Now, if my PS3 WAS backwards compatible, I would play the shit out of some PS2 games.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By c_rakestraw

@McShank said:

I would if i had a backwards compatable version,, Original ps3's are to god damn expensive,, and why would it be a deal breaker? its another console with better graphics, not a new version of the ps2..

I can see it being a deal-breaker if revisiting PS2 games is important to someone. The PS2 will stop being produced at some point, after all, so a backward compatible console would ensure you'd be able to revisit old favorites easily in the event that the old console dies and is expensive to replace.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Zlimness

Almost never. I already played most of the PS2 games I was interested in playing back when they still released PS2 games. I imagine it will be the same with the PS4.

AdzPearson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#58  Edited By AdzPearson

I haven't lately, but I can see it being useful along the line. I still have all my PS2 games, but no PS2 console (well, apart from my American PS2). I'll probably go back to some PS2 RPGs at some point.

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By katanalauncher

I rather use an emulator than my PS3.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#60  Edited By pyromagnestir

There's been a time or two when I would've if I could've, but my PS3's can't. (as far as I know. The oldest one I bought a couple years after launch)

jellotek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jellotek

@jakob187: It won't be a dealbreaker. I use it for PS2 games because I never owned a PS2. When PS3 prices drop far enough, I'll probably pick another one up for backup.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f341f558336
    deactivated-61f341f558336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I prefer playing PS2 games on the old backwards compatible models. They feel comparable to playing the games on a dev kit -- Sometimes you get a much higher framerate on some titles like Colossus, etc.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't think I ever have. A lot of times this generation whatever games I would lack to play from the previous generation for some reason aren't backwards compatible anyways. I know this is the case with The Warriors and Def Jam Fight for NY, two of the only games I'd still like to play. I like beatin on dudes and that's been lacking this generation.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Right now I'm playing through Disaster Report on my launch PS3, so yeah.

I also have Raw Danger, MK: Shaolin Monks, SSX 3 and Tricky, and a bunch of other PS2 games that I've bought to play on my PS3.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Morrow

@C_Rakestraw said:

I don't have a PS3 with backward compatibility, so I can't even if I wanted to (and I have wanted to do so, sometimes).

This :(

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#66  Edited By Snail

It's not a deal-breaker, but I do enjoy the backwards compatibility in my 60GB model. I've played a few PS2 games on it.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Jack268

I can't, but I would certainly be happy to put my old beat up PS2 to rest, but apparently I need to pay 133 SEK for each game if I want to play it again on the PS3.

Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Natedogg2

I still do. I play about 70% PS3 vs. 30% PS2. I just played through Psychonauts and now I'm playing through Rogue Galaxy.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#69  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I used to use my PS3(launch 60GB now 500GB) BC. I just use my computer now instead because I can play my PS1 and PS2 games in 1080p and save anywhere at anytime.

Avatar image for arproductions_hmg
    ARProductions_HMG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS3 is not backwards compatible, so I am pretty much shit out of luck, BUT I have a PS2, so I play them on that.

Avatar image for invalidkommando
    Invalidkommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Invalidkommando

I don't, because I can't, and I wouldn't if I could. Why should I? I could just dig out my PS2.

What bothers me the most about the PS4 thing is that about the trophy collections and PS4 stuff; something about it not carrying over to your next machine or something?

RoscoMaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By RoscoMaddix

I used to, but my original 60GB PS3 is no longer working, so I have a new Slim PS3 and also bought a new Slim PS2

Mike512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By Mike512

I think the only PS2 games I ever played on my PS3 were games I got after PS3 already came out. God of War II and some Sonic collection with all the old Sonic games from Genesis. Before this current generation began I beat the Ratchet & Clank games one final time and played all I wanted to play of last gen games.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Jrinswand

I used to, until my 60gb bit the dust a couple of months ago. It sucked because I still hadn't really gotten a chance to play SMT: Persona 4. Now I don't know when I'll ever be able to play it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#75  Edited By JasonR86

I would if I could but my PS3 doesn't have the capability.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By MideonNViscera

Anybody I know who used that feature had their PS3's break long ago.

EDIT: Meaning now they can't, because they have the shitty new PS3 haha

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
    Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I don't do it very often anymore, but I used to all the time. I played through the first 2 Yakuza games on my PS3, the God of War games (before the HD collection) and other random PS2 games I've picked up over the years.

zDarkHerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#78  Edited By zDarkHerald

I still play my PS2 games on my PS3. It is not a deal breaker for me, but I certainly think that if the PS4 launches without backwards compatibility then it is going to need great games at lauch to be worth getting. As it is likely that backwards compatibility will be scrapped, I won't be getting it till well after launch, same goes for the other new consoles when they arrive.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By apathylad

There should be a third option with "I don't have a PS2 compatible PS3".

MostlyBearded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By MostlyBearded

I just use my PS2 to play my PS2 games.

efman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By efman

No. Not ever an owner of the PS2, I got the fat PS3 early on with the mindset of angling for some gems I missed out on and as it turns out, I've never thrown a PS2 disc into my PS3 in the years I've had it. The one thing I absolutely LOOOOOOVE about the fat, though, are those memory stick slots -- find myself using those all the time when I want to look at photos taken with my digital camera or copying data over to the harddrive. They shouldn't have stripped those out on the Slim version of the console.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Related: I am stunned there aren't more PS2 titles available for download in the PS2 game section of the Playstation store. It's missing, like, the entirety of the Playstation 2 library. 

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#83  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I certainly would if my PS3 Slim could.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By UltimAXE

You know, I bought an 80 gig model specifically for that purpose. I was willing to pay a premium for it. Then Sony took it away with the Slims, and when my 80 gig bit the dust I lost the feature. It's BS.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#85  Edited By MachoFantastico

Yep, played through God of War before the HD collection and Kingdom Hearts games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#86  Edited By Hailinel

I would if I could, but I've still got a PS2 hooked up to my TV to sate that desire.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By WickedCobra03

I used to until my original Fat PS3 died on me, and still would if the slims had PS2 BC. I dunno why they took it out, was the software emulation really costing them that much to throw in? I actually personally still play PS1 games on my current PS3. People try telling me that I am out of the normal for wanting to play games from a previous generation, but at this point, why not just make the systems B/C... especially if its all software bases anyway? Even if only 95% of the games worked or something, i'd still be happy. I was just amazed that on my fat PS3, that I could still play SOCOM and THPS.

camp7203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By camp7203

I'm dealing with the dreaded dead launch ps3 dead problem right now. I bought it and payed the ransom for a system where I could import all my game saves from ps1 + 2, and put it all in one place, which was awesome. Now, I have a turd that doesn't work, and a hard drive with every sony game I've ever played for the last 12(?) years in the balance. These are hard days indeed.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#89  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@WickedCobra03 said:

I used to until my original Fat PS3 died on me, and still would if the slims had PS2 BC. I dunno why they took it out, was the software emulation really costing them that much to throw in? I actually personally still play PS1 games on my current PS3. People try telling me that I am out of the normal for wanting to play games from a previous generation, but at this point, why not just make the systems B/C... especially if its all software bases anyway? Even if only 95% of the games worked or something, i'd still be happy. I was just amazed that on my fat PS3, that I could still play SOCOM and THPS.

Doesn't seem like the PS2 hardware was actually needed, weren't there a few PS3's in the transition period that only utilized software emulation to play PS2 games (without the emotion engine chip)? Also, the PS2 Classics releases on PSN are emulated and as far as I know, run on any PS3. So, most likely they just wanted you to buy another copy of the games you already own, ignoring the issue that they will never ever re-release the majority of all the PS2 games. 5 years after launch they're still missing the majority of the PS1's most acclaimed titles. Understable, as publishers and developers have closed down in the past 17 years, and licensed games (of which there are some really good ones) are in a special kind of hell where it's extremely rare any of them will ever get relicensed and re-released, which is why the physical discs and the ability to have backwards compatibility with them is still valuable.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By Dynablade

In all honesty when I did have a PS3 with backwards compatibility I only used it 2-3 times tops. I'm the type of gamer who wants to play games on their original console.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#91  Edited By Hizang

I have a PS2 for my PS2 needs, but with all of these HD Collections coming out a lot of my PS2 games are just getting gifted to less fortunate friends.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.