Do you switch off the power button on the back of the PS3?

#1 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -
#2 Posted by Gnubberen (734 posts) -

Nope, I don't...  I should since you'll save some money on the electric bill.. but im just too damn lazy..

#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -

No, and you shouldn't. You only do that when you don't plan on using it for a long while. As in a couple of weeks.

#4 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" No, and you shouldn't. You only do that when you don't plan on using it for a long while. As in a couple of weeks. "
Why shouldn't you use it?
#5 Posted by PowerSerj (987 posts) -

No. I used to, but I then realized I could save a fraction of a second of effort for every power on and off just by ignoring it.

#6 Posted by Agnogenic_delete (1034 posts) -

Nope. I like being able to use the touch sensitive power button. :)

#7 Posted by mordukai (7092 posts) -

OK...I think people got me wrong here. What I meant is that do you switch it off after the ps3 has powered down. Of course I don't use the back off button while the machine is still running. 

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15606 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" No, and you shouldn't. You only do that when you don't plan on using it for a long while. As in a couple of weeks. "
Why shouldn't you use it? "
Because in standby the system has a bit of electricity flowing through it keeping the system warm or ready. If you turn off the system and turn it on cold, it isn't as healthy. The console gets a jolt. This is why standby was designed for.
#9 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -

I used to turn it off, but then my PS3 broke, and I'm pretty sure that turning off the power with the switch was the reason.

#10 Posted by fugie7 (1105 posts) -

naw i turn if off to save some energy in my house.

#11 Posted by SL33TBL1ND (492 posts) -

No, because my PS3 is in a unit so I can't reach the back it even if I wanted to.

#12 Posted by JJOR64 (18783 posts) -

I do since I don't play my PS3 that much.

#13 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I turn it off cause i dont want it sucking up power if im not playing it.

#14 Posted by HoldenLaFayette (41 posts) -

How much do you actually save if you bother to do that, though? Is it as significant as leaving a light on?

#15 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I do.

#16 Edited by EthanML (444 posts) -

I've heard the extra energy needed to power up a "cold" console/TV/whatever is actually more then whats used by leaving it on standby. Then again some people just pull facts like these out of their ass to support their argument so that could be BS.

Me, I don't bother turning it off at the back.

#17 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

My consoles/TV are all plugged into the same power socket [fire hazard ftw] so I turn that off instead.

#18 Posted by ionkinetic (115 posts) -

I unplug it along with the tele and xbox360 if I'm away for the weekend or longer then two days. I fear lightning, and you know they dont happen while your at work.

#19 Posted by yakov456 (1873 posts) -

I try to remember to switch the back button after I have powered down, but alot of times I forget and realize it's still on the next morning.

#20 Posted by Benjamimmy (565 posts) -

I do because it's on an extention plug, whilst the 360 is in the wall, and the 360 doesnt turn off, it stays in stand-by (unless im missing something, which would be embarressing lol)  so i turn that off by the plug and the ps3 by the back, coz if i turn the ps3 off by the plug, i wont have the tv or sky on. It all makes sense...to me anyways, I always turn off electrics except the lights :D
#21 Posted by gike987 (1720 posts) -

Only then I'm not planing to use it for a long time. Like two weeks or more.

#22 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

Everytime I am done playing Fat Princess or Burnout Paradise, I shut the PS3 off by the heat/touch sensor, then I turn the switch on the back off. Then, after that, I un plug the power cord and wrap it up. But if I am playing any other game, like shatter or WipEout HD, I tend to just leave the console running, maybe put on like 12 downloads meanwhile, and right when it says "installing, please do not shut down console, I ussually un plug it.  Maybe all that is my OCD.

#23 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

NEVER SWITCH IT OFF IN THE BACK!!! just use the sensors. if you do, it'll do the PS3 equivalent of the Red Ring of Death. I've had my PS3 since launch year and it works perfectly. I never use the switch in the back. On my ps2 i used to do that... and it stopped working three times.
#24 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" NEVER SWITCH IT OFF IN THE BACK!!! just use the sensors. if you do, it'll do the PS3 equivalent of the Red Ring of Death. I've had my PS3 since launch year and it works perfectly. I never use the switch in the back. On my ps2 i used to do that... and it stopped working three times. "

MYYYYTTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!
#25 Posted by MassiveRiot (34 posts) -
@PowerSerj said:
" No. I used to, but I then realized I could save a fraction of a second of effort for every power on and off just by ignoring it. "
That is just awesome.
#26 Edited by EvilDingo (589 posts) -

no... and it's not really that I'm in favor of the touch-sensitive button. I am how ever in favor of being able to turn my PS3 on with my controller... 

@EthanML
said:

" I've heard the extra energy needed to power up a "cold" console/TV/whatever is actually more then whats used by leaving it on standby. Then again some people just pull facts like these out of their ass to support their argument so that could be BS.  Me, I don't bother turning it off at the back. "

I don't really believe that is an valid argument. 
If it's anything like the myth about leaving the lights on opposed to switching it on an off, then Mythbusters covered that in one of their shows. They found that the power needed starting up "cold" was only equal to few seconds of the lightbulb being on. 

@FunExplosions said:
" NEVER SWITCH IT OFF IN THE BACK!!! just use the sensors. if you do, it'll do the PS3 equivalent of the Red Ring of Death. I've had my PS3 since launch year and it works perfectly. I never use the switch in the back. On my ps2 i used to do that... and it stopped working three times. "
That sounds like religion to me.  
It's kind of hard to ever proof or disproof, but I don't think any experience gathered from a company's previous console is applicable on their current. 
I don't recall having to flip my PS2 upside down to run games, which I believe was a "solution" on some PS1's. 

I am though reminded of myself having beliefs about what did and did not make some C64 games work when I was a child. Today I think, I might as well could have been making a dance to please the gods, and achieve equally good results :-)
#27 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

WhT? This is kind of a useless thread, But interesting at the same time

#28 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6984 posts) -

I keep everything on standby.

#29 Posted by McQuinn (650 posts) -

Only during a thunder storm because all the circuit breakers are on the computers.

#30 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8610 posts) -

I really always keep it on Standby. When I go away or unplug the system, I will turn it off with the switch.

#31 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -
@McQuinn said:
"Only during a thunder storm because all the circuit breakers are on the computers. "

Hm...I should ask my dad about that and if we have a similar setup? 
But other than that, no. The manual literally says you can leave it on forever, so that's what I intend to do. Though when I try (again) to use my PS3 controller on my PC, I'll have to turn it off. Other than that, never.
#32 Posted by The_Icon (573 posts) -

Nope, But I would If i am going out for a few days of weeks.

#33 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@FlemmingM said:
" Nope, I don't...  I should since you'll save some money on the electric bill.. but im just too damn lazy.. "
Plus, we're rich so a little bill ain't really that hard to pay :P
#34 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

no, i'm to lazy to switch it off in the back.

#35 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Never have.
#36 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

No I don't flip the switch in the back.

#37 Posted by Kohe321 (3522 posts) -

No, never.

#38 Edited by AsianSwagger (151 posts) -

Normally I don't turn it off using the back but lately I've had to because I dont have enough electric outlets for my Wii, PS3, 360, and PS2 :(

#39 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (450 posts) -
@ParanoidFreak said:
" I used to turn it off, but then my PS3 broke, and I'm pretty sure that turning off the power with the switch was the reason. "
the same thing happened to me. I really think that it was flipping the back switch. I just put it to standby now
#40 Posted by Quadrifoglio (816 posts) -

Nope, never do.

#41 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

Nope. It's a pain to turn it on again for me since it's so close to my other electronics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.