Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Do you think Sony should drop the price of the PS3?

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cube

Given the fact that Microsoft dropped the Pro price to $299, do you think Sony should drop the PS3's price to $349 or lower? Why or why not? Also, do you think they will?

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it would benefit their image if they dropped another $100. Even now as the consoles are like $100 apart I still hear "OMG ITS ZO EXPENSIOVIE!N!!!!"

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Shocker

I think it'd be nice but I don't see it happening.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Well their upgrading the HD's in the 40GB models to 80 for the same price this fall,so thats a bit better. But I don't see them dropping any lower atm,even just a 30-50$ price drop I think could really help them though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pause422 said:
    "Well their upgrading the HD's in the 40GB models to 80 for the same price this fall,so thats a bit better. But I don't see them dropping any lower atm,even just a 30-50$ price drop I think could really help them though.
    "
    yeah but the HD space really isn't a big factor in the price of the machine. You can snap up a nice 250gb drive for just over $100 now, so I doubt 80gb drives (which Sony is buying in mass bulk) are costing Sony all that much at all.
    legend_cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By legend_cloud

I think the price drop of E3 was good enough. They're not gonna cut it again or at least not until for a few more weeks.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Major

I'd like to see a price drop

So I can afford one =/

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't really care seeing as how I gt my console for full launch price. I guess it would be good for new guys.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LiquidPrince said:
    "I don't really care seeing as how I gt my console for full launch price. I guess it would be good for new guys.
    "
    For sure. I know loads of ppl who want a PS3 and end up just getting a 360 cuz its cheaper.
    brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By brukaoru

If they drop the price of the PS3, they would have to drop the price on the PS2. Since they're profiting most from the PS2, they probably don't want to do that anytime soon. I think after Microsoft drops the price of 360 with the 60GB standard, Sony will most likely plan a price cut in the near future.

Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Battletoad

The 400 dollar 80 gig will be a great deal, and I doubt it gets any better until fall 09.

roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By roofy
    hush404 said:
    "pause422 said:
    "Well their upgrading the HD's in the 40GB models to 80 for the same price this fall,so thats a bit better. But I don't see them dropping any lower atm,even just a 30-50$ price drop I think could really help them though.
    "
    yeah but the HD space really isn't a big factor in the price of the machine. You can snap up a nice 250gb drive for just over $100 now, so I doubt 80gb drives (which Sony is buying in mass bulk) are costing Sony all that much at all.
    "
    my exact thoughts on the situation.
    microsoft is even worse though charging 100 for a 120GB drive.
    they must think were retarded for buying it from them because thats almost 1 dollar a GB where you should be spending only about 25cents a GB
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By chililili
    hush404 said:
    "pause422 said:
    "
    "
    Yeah but the average person is too stupid or afraid to change their own hdd so it really makes a difference.
    irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By irishjohn

They've been too arrogant to do it so far, even though they could have 'won' the 'console war' early by virtue of selling the Playstation name.  Sony should do it, but a PS3 will probably always be more than an Xbox 360, and the only reason for anyone to buy a PS3 and not an Xbox 360 is to play Blu-Ray videos.  If you want to play games, there is no reason to get a PS3 and not an Xbox 360.  I have both and I am finding it extremely hard to justify owning a PS3.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

chililili said:
    "hush404 said:
    "pause422 said:
    "
    "
    Yeah but the average person is too stupid or afraid to change their own hdd so it really makes a difference.
    "
    I don't see how! It's as simple a popping off the place (with like your fingernail) undoin a screw, taking the bay out, removing the old HD, putting the new one on the bay and then putting it back in, replace screw, replace plate and bam the PS3 tells you that you need to format it (which is does itself) to work.

BTW I know LOADS of people online who have upgraded.
    benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By benderunit22

Not really. Once the 20 GB Pros are gone, Microsoft will be at 349 again with their new 60 GB Pros.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, EVENTUALLY, I think they should have a price tag of just 300 bucks, which comes with a PS3 with wifi, 4 USB ports, memory card slots, a DS3 controller, and a headset. Oh yeah, and software PS2 emulation, as well as a 160GB HDD built in. And a secondary console that has all of the same stuff, minus the headset, with a smaller HDD, for around 200 or something.

Two consoles would be great, or just ONE awesome SKU.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

If there was a sub-$300 PS3, I'd own one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you buy a 360, 300 dollars, comes with a 20GB HDD (not enough for me, I have 500GB on my PS3), and then you buy wifi, and an upgraded HDD and whatnot. If you add that up it would be more then 400 bucks, which is how much it costs for a PS3 atm. MS is genius, how they market this is not like an all in one machine, but you have to buy extra stuff if you want it, which majority of 360 owners do buy eventually, or have to.

So the prices are almost even in my eyes, and even if they weren't, PS3 is 100 bucks more, because it launched a year after 360, so it makes sense IMO.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demyx
    No, not yet. Maybe this holiday, or sometime next year.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mike
    Sentry said:
    "If you buy a 360, 300 dollars, comes with a 20GB HDD (not enough for me, I have 500GB on my PS3), and then you buy wifi, and an upgraded HDD and whatnot. If you add that up it would be more then 400 bucks, which is how much it costs for a PS3 atm. MS is genius, how they market this is not like an all in one machine, but you have to buy extra stuff if you want it, which majority of 360 owners do buy eventually, or have to.

So the prices are almost even in my eyes, and even if they weren't, PS3 is 100 bucks more, because it launched a year after 360, so it makes sense IMO.
    "
    I definitely agree that the 20gb hard drive (which is really 13gb) isn't nearly enough, especially with Xbox Originals and the upcoming feature to load games onto the hard drive to increase performance.  However, while I may not agree with how Microsoft has priced their accessories, I do appreciate the fact that they didn't shove Wi-Fi down the throat of every Xbox 360 user, opting instead to keep the price lower.  I don't need WiFi, and I think it's quite a stretch to say that most Xbox 360 owners end up buying this accessory anyway.

So, the prices aren't even.  I already have an LG Super-Blu player so the Blu-Ray drive on the PS3 is worthless to me, and the Wi-Fi is not a value add feature in my eyes.  I just want the thing to play games on...when the price comes down, I'll get one. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's true, wifi isn't a must have for 360 owners. But 100 bucks for it? That's just silly. And yeah, 20GB is way too small if they expect the platofrm to be for games, movies, music, etc.

You feel like you have such great freedom with a lot of space, I have 500GB on my PS3 with pretty much every demo & PSN game on it, with 20GB+ of music, its just really really great to feel like you can put everything and anything on it and never worry about space being an issue.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MOLE
    I heard that the Xbox 360's Wireless Adapter is better than the PS3's versionThats what my freind told me, he owns a PS3 and Xbox 360.  But he's also a diehard PS3 fan, so I trust his advice
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Cube
    MOLE said:
    "I heard that the Xbox 360's Wireless Adapter is better than the PS3's versionThats what my freind told me, he owns a PS3 and Xbox 360.  But he's also a diehard PS3 fan, so I trust his advice"
    No, it's not.

They're virtually the same thing, except the 360's is external and you have to pay for it.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mike

There are some other options for Xbox 360 wireless other than the official adapter.  The old Xbox version will work, but I usually just suggest people get a wireless bridge for $30 or so.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By DrPepper1990

No, at least not yet. I think Sony should wait until GoW III comes out and release a special edition bundle like they did with MGS4. It will drive further PS3 sales and then they can drop the price of the console, but I dont think they need to. People always talk all this junk about how PS3 is too expensive, first words of advice - Get a Job. Secondly, have you ever heard of the phrase you get what you pay for? When it comes down to the PS3 you do get what you pay for, sure it's $400 but your not just getting an awesome gaming machine your also getting an awesome Blu-Ray player. Eventually DVD's will become history as did VHS, then PS3 owners will truly recognize that they made a great decision. For the 360, yea it's only $300 plus a wireless adapter, $400 (already price of PS3), plus an HD-DVD add on (LOL at anyone who has one of these pathetic excuses for a HD movie experience), now your already $100 past the PS3 price. In the end the PS3 will be the better deal and in the end, mainly thanks to the Blu-Ray player the PS3 will come out on top.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.