Do you use your PS3 for Blu-Ray movies?

  • 103 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by xyzygy (9936 posts) -

Ever since I got my PS3 over a year ago, I haven't bought one single Blu-Ray for it. I really, really don't want to pay 30 bucks for a movie when I could get a regular DVD for like 16 bucks. (In Canada, well in this part of Canada, Blu Ray is about 32.99 without tax... a little over 35 with tax.) I just really don't care that much to be able to see the pores on my actor's faces. For me, HD affects games.

#2 Edited by Kombat (2205 posts) -

Yes.  I own like120 blu-ray movies. 
 
I buy most of mine on Amazon for $15-$25 depending on the age of the title.

#3 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

I want to. But I don't own any. So right now I only play regular ass movies.

#4 Posted by TobyD81 (1227 posts) -

Yep, sure do. Blu Rays on a big Hi-def look pretty sweet. It's how I prefer to buy my movies now.

#5 Posted by Asurastrike (2165 posts) -

I own 4 blu rays movies, all of which I bought because they were on sale on Amazon.
 
The Depared
Blood Diamond
Weeds Season 1
Weeds Season 2

#6 Edited by Artemis_D (817 posts) -

It's pretty much the only thing I do with it...
 
Come on, Heavy Rain! Daddy needs a game to play on his PS3!

Online
#7 Edited by FrEeZe (301 posts) -

I don't really buy movies regularly, but I am currently on the hunt for two of my favourite movies on Blu-Ray (Eternal Sunshine, Oldboy) and I would definitely play them on my PS3. 
 
But then again I guess I could use my laptop and connect it to my HDTV with a HDMI cable since I use a media player that allows for custom filters/effects (VLC Media Player).

#8 Posted by xyzygy (9936 posts) -

The only movie I feel I NEED to get for my PS3 is Blade Runner: The Final Cut. That's it.

#9 Posted by juanvaldes (183 posts) -

Yes.

#10 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

yes like 20-30 blurays.

#11 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -

Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player.
 
I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received.
 
Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.  
 
Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator.
 
This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.
 
#12 Posted by Darkstalker (871 posts) -

all the freakin time

#13 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

Blu-Ray really is worth the extra price though, People didn't complain about DVD's when they first came out. They used to sell for 30 bucks too.

#14 Posted by Spike94 (735 posts) -

Yes sirree! Given the only Blu-Ray movie I have as of now is The Dark Knight, it's totally worth it!!! 
WOO GO BATMAN! 
But yeah. I intend to get more Blu-Ray movies sometime...here and there I am sure....WOOGOBATMAN!

#15 Edited by Metroid545 (1823 posts) -

Never seen any blu-ray movies but I hope to make use of the blu-ray player on my future PS3 when I get one but right now being sorta broke that may be awhile

#16 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -

Yes, I do.

#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player. I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received. Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.   Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator. This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.  "
*smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth!
#18 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

It is funny that you ask this question because Blu-Ray movies is what I really only use my PS3 for. I tend to not play as many games on it as I watch movies, and they look great on it. I have at least 20 BD movies, and they all look pretty great. The Thing is an amazing movie and an even better transfer.

#19 Posted by HolyCrapItsAdam (448 posts) -

Thats really all I use my PS3 for. There are a couple of exclusive games like Metal Gear Solid, Ratchet and Clank, and Uncharted that i use my PS3 to play but for the most part, I buy my games for my 360 so my PS3 is basically my blu-ray player

#20 Edited by BiffMcBlumpkin (3720 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:

" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:

" Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player. I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received. Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.   Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator. This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.  "

*smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth! "

LIsten beardo, I don't know what's going on right now.  
 
I've been ISF'ing and calibrating sets to their specs before 98% of the forum was born. Been through early CRT, projection based CRT sets, LCD and projection LCD, onset of plasma supremacy,  the speculation over SED, new nutting over OLED, goes on and on.  
 
And now I sound like the crazy asshole. Do I sound like the nutty asshole now? The answer is yes.
 
I've had a few right now. A few is 11. Friday.
#21 Posted by JoblessTerence (349 posts) -

At the moment I buy DVD's because they are dirt cheap but when they're obsolete, I will only buy current movies on Blu Ray. Apparently, Ghostbusters on Blu Ray looks like garbage because you see how bad the special effects are.

#22 Posted by T0mF5 (928 posts) -
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
"@WilliamRLBaker said:

" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:

" Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player. I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received. Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.   Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator. This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.  "

*smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth! "
LIsten beardo, I don't know what's going on right now.   I've been ISF'ing and calibrating sets to their specs before 98% of the forum was born. Been through early CRT, projection based CRT sets, LCD and projection LCD, onset of plasma supremacy,  the speculation over SED, new nutting over OLED, goes on and on.   And now I sound like the crazy asshole. Do I sound like the nutty asshole now? The answer is yes.  I've had a few right now. A few is 11. Friday. "

What?
#23 Edited by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Its the main thing I use my PS3 for.

#24 Posted by Expletive (1057 posts) -

I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch

#25 Posted by Fiveoutafive (62 posts) -

I don't have a PS3 yet, but I have 13 blu-rays I watch on my laptop. Reservoir Dogs, Enter the Dragon, Afro Samurai, Rambo, The Proposition, Iron Man, The Bank Job, Forgetting Sara Marshall, V for Vendetta, The Dark Knight, Pans Labyrinth, and Weeds season 1 & 2

#26 Posted by mordukai (7149 posts) -

Yes. I prefer watching BD then Netflix HD movies. 

#27 Posted by WitchHunter_Z (882 posts) -

I don't really tend to buy many movies, but when I rent if I can get it in Blu-ray then I will.

#28 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
@expletive said:
" I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch "
Full speed? It sounds like there is something wrong with your console or it's not getting proper ventilation.
#29 Posted by LiquidPrince (15901 posts) -

Indeed I do.

#30 Posted by Expletive (1057 posts) -
@Kamasama said:
" @expletive said:
" I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch "
Full speed? It sounds like there is something wrong with your console or it's not getting proper ventilation. "
oh,  yes there is def a problem with my console
#31 Posted by the_stig (234 posts) -

Yes, but right now I only have 4 movies for blu-ray, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles box set.  Plus I like using Netflix more anyway so I don't know how much into the future I really am going to use it for that.

#32 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2090 posts) -

It's itll be pretty stupid not to use your PS3 as a blu-ray player as it is one of it's strong selling points.
 
Though considering that, I only have The Dark Knight, Wall-E and the dreaded Spiderman 3 (which came free with the console when i bought it.) I only buy Blu-ray films that deserve to be on blu-ray.

#33 Posted by Bigvic785 (120 posts) -
@BiffMcBlumpkin: A few is not 11; hows the hangover Bliff?
 
BTW Blu-Ray is worth the extra money.
#34 Posted by IchiroYagiza (442 posts) -

Yeah.
#35 Posted by spankingaddict (2660 posts) -

yes, when i do which is almost never....

#36 Posted by PenguinDust (12483 posts) -

I've purchased about 10 (maybe less) BD movies, but I have a subscription to Netflix so 90% of all titles I rent from them are BD movies.  I don't pick BD movies specifically, it's just that almost all new mainstream film releases have a BD option.   It's definitely worth the extra few bucks in my opinion. 

#37 Posted by raidingkvatch (1150 posts) -

Yup

#38 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

I have a few BD movies, but my DVD collection is definatly king still. The price is still a bit high for my tastes to be buying BD everytime something comes out. I basically only buy the movies I really like in BD. 
 
What Im really waiting for is the price of writeable Bluray discs to come down, last time I checked it was about 20 bucks for a name brand disc. Once that happens, I'll be renting the movies for 6 bucks, and copying them myself.

#39 Posted by James89 (75 posts) -

I bought a couple of big name movies in blu-ray to play on my PS3, like The Darknight, Watchmen, ext. 
I think it is really useful.
#40 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I use it for blu ray. Ever since I used blu ray, it's so hard to watch dvd quality now.

#41 Edited by ElectricBoogaloo (352 posts) -

I'm slowly building up my Blu Ray collection. Haven't bought a DVD since getting my PS3 three years ago, so that should answer the question. Haven't bought very many recently, though. They're still pretty pricey, and the site I used to use to import from the States have upped their prices so it's more expensive than buying them here. Sucks, mainly because the US versions tend to be better; you guys get the Directors Cut of Watchmen, the five disc edition of Bladerunner, and so. We're normally stuck with the most basic versions. 
 
Anyway, here's what I have: Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Spider-Man Trilogy, Bladerunner five disc edition, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Casino Royale, No Country for Old Men, I Am Legend, Cloverfield, Superbad, 300, Wall-E, Ghostbusters, Transformers, Zac and Miri Make A Porno, King Kong, Wanted, Watchmen and Reservior Dogs.

#42 Posted by Tebbit (4457 posts) -
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:

" @BiffMcBlumpkin said:

" Yes, I have a metric shit ton of Blu Ray discs. I would get a BDP 83 but I already have a DV983h and I can tell no difference between the PS3 and 83 when it comes to Blu Ray quality (because there is none,) so there's no reason whatsoever for me not to use my PS3 as my Blu Ray player. I don't even buy DVD's anymore.  AV is more of a main hobby for me than are videogames (although I guess they go hand in hand much of the time.)  I just imported the region free Italian fistful of dollars Blu Ray. It was fucking Hell to track down, but it's an amazing transfer. Much better than the transfer quality the North American version of the Good the Bad and the Ugly received. Next up - Gladiator and Braveheart - Sept 1st.   Early reviews indicate heavy DNR and EE application on Gladiator and an overall poor visual quality, the opposite looks to be true for Braveheart. Clean, grain not completely DNR'ed away and very limited if any EE applied (continuing the tradition of the original DVD release,) nice film like quality with amazing clarity and color. Surprisingly excellent transfer. Looks like the struck a new transfer recently for Braveheart and used a shittier, older one for Gladiator. This has been an AV moment with Biff McBlumpkin.  "

*smacks ya in the back of the head* how many times i gotta tell you people don't understand the words comming out you mouth! "
LIsten beardo, I don't know what's going on right now.   I've been ISF'ing and calibrating sets to their specs before 98% of the forum was born. Been through early CRT, projection based CRT sets, LCD and projection LCD, onset of plasma supremacy,  the speculation over SED, new nutting over OLED, goes on and on.   And now I sound like the crazy asshole. Do I sound like the nutty asshole now? The answer is yes.  I've had a few right now. A few is 11. Friday. "
Hehe. Beardo...
#43 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Yes.  I only have 1 Blu-ray movie at the minute but I will buy more.

#44 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Yes, all the time. DVDs as well, which some say you shouldn't do but then why does it say you can on the box??

#45 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4909 posts) -

Yes i do.

#46 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

Yeah, I sometimes watch Blu-ray movies on my PS3 but not a lot. I only have around 5-6 movies for my PS3. But Amazon has amazing prices for Blu-ray and that's pretty much where I always get my Blu-ray movies.

#47 Posted by nrain (1274 posts) -

I watch them all the time but I don't own many. I have Watchmen, Blade Runner the Final Cut, The Dark Knight, Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Complete and Transformers
#48 Posted by Blomakrans (148 posts) -
@expletive said:
" @Kamasama said:
" @expletive said:
" I would if the fan didn't constantly blow at full speed making movies hard to watch "
Full speed? It sounds like there is something wrong with your console or it's not getting proper ventilation. "
oh,  yes there is def a problem with my console "
I have the same problem. Hopefully I'm about to get a new one on monday though.
#49 Posted by velvetelvis (42 posts) -

netflixs has a setting to send blu ray whenever possible.  and i use it.

#50 Edited by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

No.  Not going to pay more for blu-rays even though the picture is a major step up.  Besides dvd players are ubiquitous, blu-ray players are not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.