Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Does a plugged-in controller charged when the PS3 is off?

goth_bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By goth_bacon

When my dual shock 3 controller ran out of batteries, I plugged it in and turned off the system.  But when I started up again, it wasn't any more charged than before.  Shouldn't it charge even when it is off?  It would be really inconvenient to play with a controller with a 3 foot cable.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By zitosilva

Only charges when the PS3 is on. And I know what you mean, would it hurt them to make the USB cabe at least a bit longer? No one sits that close to their tv. The good thing is that the cable is generic and it's cheap to buy a longer one, or pluging in extensions to it.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By m1k3

It will charge on any USB port as long as the port is getting power. I usually plug my controller into my PC's USB port since it gets power even though my PC is off.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

you cant charge when when its off. but you can put charge the controller and go to the atomatic turn off settings and make it 2 hours and 2 hours later it will turn off and your controller will be charged or mostly charged.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nope. Only charges when it's on.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By raven_squad

I just charge it with my PC when I use the internet. Never have had it die yet. :D

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StaticFalconar

Nope, which is why I usually charge it when I'm watching a movie or even my computer if my PS3 is off.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

You can use your computer though which is pretty nifty.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

I was very disappointed to find out that the USB ports on my PS3 aren't powered on when the system is off.  That's something very handy that I took for granted on my 360.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush
    MB said:
    "I was very disappointed to find out that the USB ports on my PS3 aren't powered on when the system is off.  That's something very handy that I took for granted on my 360."
    What's even more disappointing is that a new DS3 controller doesn't come with a USB cable to charge the damn controller! (unless they changed that recently)
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11  Edited By mike

The USB cable that came along with my DS3-equipped 80GB bundle is about 4 feet long.  In other words, it's useless - especially since the system has to be on for the damn controller to charge. 

I don't know what Sony was thinking.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kush

Sony has done a lot of stupid little things...charging $55 for a controller with no USB cable to charge it is stupid. I know that they figured anyone buying a DS3 owns a system and thus has a cable, but what if you want to play a MP game and the controller isn't fully charged? ...stupid.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since it's a standard miniUSB connection (on the controller itself) then surely it's pretty easy to find a longer miniUSB cable, and probably at a fraction of the price.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zitosilva
    RhombusOfTerror said:
    "Since it's a standard miniUSB connection (on the controller itself) then surely it's pretty easy to find a longer miniUSB cable, and probably at a fraction of the price."
    Exactly because it is such a cheap thing that it is irritating that it doesn't come with the controller. And two extra metters would be nice.
    CrimsonAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CrimsonAngel

It only charges if you Don't turn off all the power.

If you turn off the System using the PS button it will charge your controllers you have plugged in..

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Kush said:
    "Sony has done a lot of stupid little things...charging $55 for a controller with no USB cable to charge it is stupid. I know that they figured anyone buying a DS3 owns a system and thus has a cable, but what if you want to play a MP game and the controller isn't fully charged? ...stupid."
    How does it make it different if your playing a MP game or a SP game? You should have the cable regardless...

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar

You can use the cell phone charger for the Razor if you really have a need to bitch about it. 360 hardware problems is that it stop working, the PS3 hardware problem is too short a cable and not being to charge controller while it is off.

HMMMM, I think I'll pick the PS3's problem over the 360.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kush
    LiquidPrince said:
    "How does it make it different if your playing a MP game or a SP game? You should have the cable regardless..."
    If you're playing a MP game...with more than one person on one console...and both controllers are dead; then you can't play the game MP until you charge each controller separately since the DS3 doesn't come with its own cable. The best you could do is charge one controller completely and then the other player is stuck sitting 4 feet away from the TV with his controller plugged in...it's just stupid. Not everyone has extra cables that are used for other electronics, I know I don't.
    falstaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By falstaf

Yeah, big company being cheap. What else is new? Just bought my PS3 yesterday, plugged the controller into it to charge over night only to wake up to a dead controller? So it's plugged into my computer and is blinking red. Come on charge baby, charge!

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20  Edited By dsplayer1010

When it's on stanby, not when the switch is flipped off.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Kush said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "How does it make it different if your playing a MP game or a SP game? You should have the cable regardless..."
    If you're playing a MP game...with more than one person on one console...and both controllers are dead; then you can't play the game MP until you charge each controller separately since the DS3 doesn't come with its own cable. The best you could do is charge one controller completely and then the other player is stuck sitting 4 feet away from the TV with his controller plugged in...it's just stupid. Not everyone has extra cables that are used for other electronics, I know I don't."
    Or you can get a ridiculously cheap USB 2.0 cable from like the dollar store...

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Kush said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    If you're playing a MP game...with more than one person on one console...and both controllers are dead; then you can't play the game MP until you charge each controller separately since the DS3 doesn't come with its own cable. The best you could do is charge one controller completely and then the other player is stuck sitting 4 feet away from the TV with his controller plugged in...it's just stupid. Not everyone has extra cables that are used for other electronics, I know I don't."
    Or you can get a ridiculously cheap USB 2.0 cable from like the dollar store...

"
    dollar store or more commonly known in chains are dollar tree, or dollar general you go there buy a mini usb controller and come back and post a picture and ill congradulate you otherwise the dollar tree and dollar general do not carry usb cables that i know of let alone the mini USB type.  But it doesn't change the fact sony is stupid to use the thing they dont give you what you need to use its like military tech you'll get the bomb but not the detonator.

Sony could have spent the mass production price of like 10k dollars for 50k cables or so and put them in with the controllers but didn't, you have to purchase all this extra stuff to do stuff on the ps3 just like the 360.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Tho... I've stuck my sixaxis into my PC while doing crap on my PC to have it charge when my PS3 isn't on. Then I bought a charger that plugs into the wall outlet, which also acts as a holding station for the controllers... so its a win win.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.