Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Exadus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Exadus

I've been a Sony fanboy for quite sometime. Ruthlesly defending it against all slander, saying that we just have to wait and hold on, and everything will be fine, that Home will be awesome and that PSN will improve.

Recently, though, I really got to play the 360 for real, I was at friend's for some time (Three days, in fact), and he had a lot of consoles, lots of old ones, too, but I was most interested in his 360, because I've never really played in seriously. And what an experience it was. I was astonished about how easy it was to play games with people on your friends list, and how.. erm, lively it seemed, I 'suppose and because of the 360 coming with a mic, I wasn't really that suprised that a lot of people were using them, but it was a welcome experience, because if the game dosen't come with a mic on the PS3, most people will be mute.

To be honest, I had a momment of realisation there. I realized that PSN was inferior, and the PS3 itself, not because of the console, but because of Sony's decisions (We have to remember Sony is Japanese, though, online isn't that big of a deal, there). Also, I haven't really played once with anyone on my friends list, and I've had the console since February '05. It's very clunky to get in to playing with them, and on my friends list, which is quite big, too, I don't see more than four people online at any time, and four people is extremely rare, too, only seen it once or twice. 

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. MGS4 and LBP were defenatly worth it, but.. I feel alone while playing the PS3, it dosen't have that sense of an online community.  You just go play Resistance 2 when you want to, but you don't really organize things on your friends list. You use the PSN to play games online, but you the friends list options are so basic, that it's hard to play games with friends, making it really a bother. 

Is anyone else here in doubt? Maybe people have had vastly different experiences than me, I don't know. Maybe I'm just unlucky with this.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

I owned a 360 and switched to PS3 and I find the experience I receive with my Playstation 3 far, far, far superior.

It's all a matter of taste and I think you'd do well to not base the comparisons between 360 and PS3 on a short sitdown session at a friends house.

There are advantages for both systems and most of us make educated decisions depending on what we think we'll prefer.

It's a widespread misconception that PSN is worse service than it actually is. It's vastly improved over the past 12 months and is in no way "empty" as you put it.

Based on my personal experiences of XBOX Live on the original XBOX and the first year of the 360: Live is a horrible community to play games within. I've been mocked, trash talked, screamed at, ridiculed and other countless things whilst trying to enjoy a video game on XBOX Live. That's my experience. Should I man up and just get on with it? Why should I... I'm on XBOX Live to play video games with people on the Internet. If I want to argue with 12 year old American school children with little to no morals and respect - I go to an American high school. If I want to play with friends I invite them round.

I absolutely hate muting a bunch of screaming teenagers every match. It takes time and effort which I'd rather spend playing games. It's a minor gripe to some but a major pet hate of mine. And let me clarify - I hate muting on the PSN aswell. Big difference being: no packaged mic, one screaming child every 6 or 7 matches instead of EVERY match.

So maybe PSN doesn't pack all the features that Live does... but based on my personal experience I'll pick it every time. And it's free. If I was given a free Pepsi in the street I wouldn't chuck it away and go buy a Coca-Cola instead.

It's all subjective which is why I'm not sure why you even bothered asking. Everyones opinion will be tainted by their own experiences.

Exadus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Exadus

Hmm.. perget2sammyb said:

"I owned a 360 and switched to PS3 and I find the experience I receive with my Playstation 3 far, far, far superior.

It's all a matter of taste and I think you'd do well to not base the comparisons between 360 and PS3 on a short sitdown session at a friends house.

There are advantages for both systems and most of us make educated decisions depending on what we think we'll prefer.

It's a widespread misconception that PSN is worse service than it actually is. It's vastly improved over the past 12 months and is in no way "empty" as you put it.

Based on my personal experiences of XBOX Live on the original XBOX and the first year of the 360: Live is a horrible community to play games within. I've been mocked, trash talked, screamed at, ridiculed and other countless things whilst trying to enjoy a video game on XBOX Live. That's my experience. Should I man up and just get on with it? Why should I... I'm on XBOX Live to play video games with people on the Internet. If I want to argue with 12 year old American school children with little to no morals and respect - I go to an American high school. If I want to play with friends I invite them round.

I absolutely hate muting a bunch of screaming teenagers every match. It takes time and effort which I'd rather spend playing games. It's a minor gripe to some but a major pet hate of mine. And let me clarify - I hate muting on the PSN aswell. Big difference being: no packaged mic, one screaming child every 6 or 7 matches instead of EVERY match.

So maybe PSN doesn't pack all the features that Live does... but based on my personal experience I'll pick it every time. And it's free. If I was given a free Pepsi in the street I wouldn't chuck it away and go buy a Coca-Cola instead.

It's all subjective which is why I'm not sure why you even bothered asking. Everyones opinion will be tainted by their own experiences."
    Hmm.. perhaps, but still, I've never had a good experience (Or any experience) with playing with friends on PSN.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

all depends on where your priorities are. If having that integrated friends list is so important you should probably jump camp. But if just know that are going to only take a different set of problems like risking RRoD, buying an overly expensive harddrive (easily set off the 200) when you run out space, hearing every asshole talk while online, I mean the list goes on.

I had a PS2 til it DRE on me then I got an xbox. Was thinking of getting a 360, but hearing the same horror story with RRoD brought flashbacks of DRE so I stayed away. Almost bought an elite, til i found out like the cake it was a lie. So my priorities and paranoa lies in not having shit break on me. That first PS2 when it broke was like a year of saving money up for. Sure I have more money now, but I realize my money spending habits has an effect, and I just don't want to support hardware that is flawed, but continues to be, despite revisions.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Stevokenevo

Im kind of at an impass at the moment, because I have been meaning to get either a ps3 or a 360 for the past few months and just cant decide.  I own a wii (which i rarely play) and a pc (which is my go to for online) but would like to own another console to experience games like LBP or Banjo, Nuts and bolts.

Ive been closer to getting a ps3 as of late, mainly because I have friends who own one and there hasnt been as wide a problem with hardware failures. Similar to StaticFalconer, i went through a bunch of hardware issues but with the dreamcast and it leaves a sore taste for that console.  However, my bro recently bought a 360 and brought it round for the weekend and i too really enjoyed playing some gears 2 and messing around with online.

I think basically, whichever console i pick, im not going to lose so it altogether doesnt matter.  My current stance is to wait to see if a price drop is announced for the ps3 around feb or march and then make a decision.

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By SSbabel

So first ever post and this is what you write, okay so your from marketing or something?.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Drebin_893

I don't think the first guy's for real, because that was his first post.

I think the 360 is incredible, and I think the PS3 is incredible.

But for reason's I can't explain, I play the PS3 more. But I think that both are really, really great.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    SSbabel said:
    "So first ever post and this is what you write, okay so your from marketing or something?."
    Yea. Marketing what a ballsac he is.
    Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stevokenevo

thats alot of effort for marketing....i mean what, about 8 people have probably read this thread. 

Anyway,  i think the overall best thing about this is really...whichever console you get, you win.  Both offer tons of playability and enjoyment, it all really depends on your situation with regards to money, friends, and games you prefer. 
    I'll probably end up buying both consoles if i can afford them in the new year.  Or none, if i cant make my mind up. lol.

godemperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By godemperor

I have a 360 and love the Live, i will get a PS3 to plays game slike MGS4, GOW3 and uncharted which are more single player orientated(not because i dont like PSN), but cos i dont have any friends for PSN.

Dark_Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Dark_Shadow
    Exadus said:
    Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. MGS4 and LBP were defenatly worth it, but.. I feel alone while playing the PS3, it dosen't have that sense of an online community.  You just go play Resistance 2 when you want to, but you don't really organize things on your friends list. You use the PSN to play games online, but you the friends list options are so basic, that it's hard to play games with friends, making it really a bother. 

Well... I agree you have a "Sense of an online community" in Xbox 360, but first you need to make friends... And I tell you, if you don't have RL friends it is quite hard to add/meet nice people... Or you can just add them randomly (which is dumb, I guess you don't want to have lots of people that you don't really know who they are) - Well, I live in Portugal anyway, everyone here is "sold" by the advertising, so the majority buys the PS3 because of that. It is hard to find people with a Xbox 360 (And there are lots that don't even know what "that" is... ) Maybe outside Portugal it is way easier to meet people that own a 360. 

That's my opinion anyway. 

Exadus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Exadus
    DirrtyNinja said:
    "SSbabel said:
    "So first ever post and this is what you write, okay so your from marketing or something?."
    Yea. Marketing what a ballsac he is. "
    Gee, thanks. I can't ask a question without being called names, can I?
    shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shimbibby
    Exadus said:

I 100% agree with this and feel the same way. It's quite a shame. It's been much too long people have been saying "eventually they'll get it right" and "there's so much potential". PS3 is in a tight spot and need to step up their game in the online community space, and Home isn't it.
    Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gameboi

No doubt about it, XBox Live offers a better experience than PSN. However, you have to keep in mind that you pay for it. Would you expect anything less? As far as the consoles (and the games offered for each) are concerned, I feel they offer a pretty similar experience. That is, if you you remove the RROD issue from the conversation.

TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TEAMHOLT

Xbox Live tends to be more stable (this year, anyway) and is definitely more unified and robust, but it can be just as bad as PSN if the game you're playing doesn't support a party system or matchmaking. Even the new global party system introduced with the NXE doesn't make things all that much easier if you've got to stare at a server browser to get into a game.

But still, you always feel connected. You can hop into a friends game pretty easily if there are any open slots and chat privately no matter who is playing what. I don't really get that on the PS3.

Heh, sometimes it's kind of irritating, to be honest. Getting invites and messages from people when you just want to play a game alone can be annoying.

bartholomew999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By bartholomew999

I loved my 360 and then gleefully traded it in for my PS3 where I didn't have to fork out extra for; wifi, online games, a hard drive.  The wired headset was a much more usable device than the bt headset I use for my PS3 though.

Both HD consoles rock imo.  If you like movies, stick with the PS3, digital downloads via XBL  is a great option but brick and mortar discs will always be of interest to collectors.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By regularassmilk
    Levio91 said:
    "I dont like ps3 because its 200 dollars more for basically the same thing except the xbox has better games, controller, online play, free mic, comes with 2 games. the list goes on."
    woooowwww.... Not Really. The Arcade is 200 and that is garbage, Go buy an elite.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hexpane

XBL is nonsense, Pay to Play for peer to peer garbage connections and a bunch of racist rednecks and fake rappers.

But you really thought HOME would be good? They wasted 30million dollars making a high res 2nd life, and 2nd life is till way more fun.  EPIC PHAILURE

Avatar image for insane_metalist
    insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By insane_metalist

I was a PS2 fan but when 360 came out i had to get it. I love XBL because everyone has mics, good dashboad updates, great games. I also got a PS3 a bit after it came out and to tell you the truth i haven't played it much at all. For all this time that i had it.. i only played it like 15 hours max...

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Dude . . .

There are so many bitchy white 10 year olds with bad language that never stop screaming. Sure, you get some cool people from time to time, but you run the risk of little bitches.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "Dude . . .
    There are so many bitchy white 10 year olds with bad language that never stop screaming. Sure, you get some cool people from time to time, but you run the risk of little bitches.
    "
    I really want to meet one of those in real life... that way I can beat it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.