Early PS3 Netflix App Impressons.

#1 Posted by Raven_Sword (3438 posts) -

Ok, so I downloaded the new PS3 Netflicks app about 20 mintues ago, and overal I say its a mark improvement from the disc. things load up nice and snappy, video quality seems to be good, and the overal experience is much faster, quicker, and streamlined then the stupid disc. However, much to my dismay, I still cannot find anyway to put 4:3 Standard Definition TV shows (and amyeb even movies) into 16:9 Widescreen. With the 360 one, you can put anything fullscreen. But I cannot find anyway to do that here. So shows like Southpark are alot of times in 4:3 instead of 16:9, which is dissapointing. I dont get why they could have added this feature in,  

But, other then that, the experince is pretty great, but ive only used it for 20 minutes, so ill need to see.
#2 Posted by GoofyGoober (937 posts) -

Good to hear.

#3 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
" However, much to my dismay, I still cannot find anyway to put 4:3 Standard Definition TV shows (and amyeb even movies) into 16:9 Widescreen. With the 360 one, you can put anything fullscreen. But I cannot find anyway to do that here. So shows like Southpark are alot of times in 4:3 instead of 16:9, which is dissapointing. I dont get why they could have added this feature in,   But, other then that, the experince is pretty great, but ive only used it for 20 minutes, so ill need to see. "
Bah, no big deal for me. I'm Pro-OAR.
#4 Posted by Doctorchimp (4067 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:
" Ok, so I downloaded the new PS3 Netflicks app about 20 mintues ago, and overal I say its a mark improvement from the disc. things load up nice and snappy, video quality seems to be good, and the overal experience is much faster, quicker, and streamlined then the stupid disc. However, much to my dismay, I still cannot find anyway to put 4:3 Standard Definition TV shows (and amyeb even movies) into 16:9 Widescreen. With the 360 one, you can put anything fullscreen. But I cannot find anyway to do that here. So shows like Southpark are alot of times in 4:3 instead of 16:9, which is dissapointing. I dont get why they could have added this feature in,   But, other then that, the experince is pretty great, but ive only used it for 20 minutes, so ill need to see. "
Your TV should have a zoom feature already.
#5 Posted by TZVI (6 posts) -

The Wii Netflix App is also out both seem to be an improvement over the disks.

#6 Posted by Sammo21 (3199 posts) -
@Raven_Sword: Have you tried to access the South Park website and watch the full episodes on there?  I'm sure it's 100% flash based, so I have no idea if it will work at all on PS3's browser.  

Good to hear though that it's already up. Thanks for posting.
#7 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

good to hear. which do you think it's better on ps3, xbox 360? or is there no difference between them. 

i tried netflix when it first came out on the xbox 360. i didn't like it all that much. one my internet is slow so it is why i was testing it and 2 was i had to be on my computer to get it to scream onto the xbox 360. i thought that was stupid of them to do that when they released it.

#8 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

It's definitely better than the discs but I have a hard time leaving the 360 netflix especially after the new dashboard update. 

#9 Posted by RecSpec (3752 posts) -

Wait so this PS3 disc for netflix I got in the mail today is useless!!?!?!

#10 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@RecSpec said:

" Wait so this PS3 disc for netflix I got in the mail today is useless!!?!?! "

yup lol 

should've kept posted on the news.  

anyways 

the movies load way faster and Star Trek looked and sounds fantastic and never skipped and i'd say its about as good as hd can get as far as streaming goes. its no blu-ray but its damn good enough. 5.1 surround sound is working good too.
#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -
@Vonocourt said:
" @Raven_Sword said:
" However, much to my dismay, I still cannot find anyway to put 4:3 Standard Definition TV shows (and amyeb even movies) into 16:9 Widescreen. With the 360 one, you can put anything fullscreen. But I cannot find anyway to do that here. So shows like Southpark are alot of times in 4:3 instead of 16:9, which is dissapointing. I dont get why they could have added this feature in,   But, other then that, the experince is pretty great, but ive only used it for 20 minutes, so ill need to see. "
Bah, no big deal for me. I'm Pro-OAR. "
Yup, me too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.