Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Ethernet cable between ps3's

dilaliocobuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dilaliocobuns

So I need to do a data transfer between my new ps3 and my old. I have tried to do it following a vid on youtube but when it comes round to it doing it it just says there is no ethernet cable connected or the other ps3 system is not on. How do I check there is a connection between the two or what else am I doing wrong.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Teoball

If you're connecting them directly together you probably need a crossover ethernet cable. If not, you're gonna have to go through a hub or router.

I have not tried this with a ps3 or even know if it works.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't believe you can simply plug one device into another with a single ethernet cable. I am pretty sure you always need a router or networking hardware of some kind for the two devices to interface with one another. Try plugging your PS3s into the same router, or ethernet switch (which is plugged into your router).

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@dilaliocobuns: It's been awhile since I did a data transfer but I don't believe there's an option that allows you to transfer data between two ps3 using a ethernet cable. I think the only viable way was taking some sort of usb harddrive and to copy the data on that using the backup data option and then connecting it to the new ps3 using the same utility.

dilaliocobuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: @kcin: @teoball: Thanks guys after a few tries I got the problem sorted and now all my data is crossed over. Apparently You have to switch off the internet connection on the ps3 for the ethernet cable to register.

TriBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun fact. On windows 8 pc's you can do it with just an ethernet cable. I've done it to transfer large amounts of files when I got a new computer and needed to move stuff off my old one. It's interesting to know the PS3 works in a similar way.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dilaliocobuns: were you able to directly hook up the two PS3s together or did you need a router to manage the transfer ?

dilaliocobuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@authenticm: Nope A direct connection between the two with a single ethernet cable. The internet connection on the ps3 is off during the whole process. I think its a whole lot easier just doing a straiht transfer between the two rather than using a external hard drive or memory stick, The ps3 pretty much did the whole thing automatically.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@dilaliocobuns: Sweet. Yeah, I recall that this direct transfer is the only way to copy restricted content; you can't via an external hard drive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.