External Hard Drive

#1 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -

So I'm struggling for space on my 40 gig PS3 and I think I'm at the point now where I don't really wanna be deleting much more data. I have a 1 TB external hard dirve and was wondering how easy (or possible) it would be to move some game/save data over onto that. I'd rather not have to format it but I could if I have to. Would I be able to partition it maybe so I could use half for ps3 half for other stuff? It's got around 200 gigs of movies, tv shows, music, games etc on it.

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5080 posts) -

You would have to partition it to be able to use. Since you only have a 40 GB (how did you last this long?) you probably have an older model. Why not just buy an internal HDDand throw it in. That's what I did years ago with a 500 GB when 60 just wasn't enough.

#3 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -

Yeah I had originally planned on buying a new internal HDD, just figured I could perhaps save a bit of money. Would I be able to transfer data from my old hard drive to the new one?

#4 Posted by BlackLagoon (1430 posts) -

@BomberDude: You can copy most saves to it, though some are copy protected by the developer. If you buy a new hard drive, you can use your external one to do a full backup of your system, and then restore it back to the new HDD. In either case you need to create a FAT32 partition on the drive for the PS3 to be able to use it.

#5 Edited by Marz (5652 posts) -

no you can't copy games or install them over to an external drive, researched this myself when i wanted to buy some digital games when i was short on storage.  The best solution would be to get a new internal drive. 

#6 Edited by handlas (2679 posts) -

Some saved games don't allow you to copy over to a harddrive tho I think. Which can be a problem.

I literally changed my 160GB PS3 harddrive for a 1TB hard drive this past weekend. Just makes it so much easier to not worry about deleting games all the time and then forgetting I ever even bought them. Plus, I'm too compulsive... sometimes I like to just hop on the PSN Store and buy a game.

Also you could consider Plus. Gives you some Cloud storage. I've never used it... might jsut be for saved game files.

#7 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -

Ah okay so a lot of my stuff might be stuck to my 40 gig hard drive?

#8 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2772 posts) -

@BomberDude said:

So I'm struggling for space on my 40 gig PS3 and I think I'm at the point now where I don't really wanna be deleting much more data. I have a 1 TB external hard dirve and was wondering how easy (or possible) it would be to move some game/save data over onto that. I'd rather not have to format it but I could if I have to. Would I be able to partition it maybe so I could use half for ps3 half for other stuff? It's got around 200 gigs of movies, tv shows, music, games etc on it.

To be honest you would be better off buying a 120 GB or 160 GB hdd off of Amazon. For $40 to $60 you could buy a drive that woudl be bigger for you PS3. Swicthing teh drives is easy. You just copy your saves on a flash-drive or PSN+, drop in and format the new drive, move over the saves, and then spend a few hours downloading yoru content again. Yes, downloading your content again is a pain, but it is easy and you don't even need to be there while it is doing it.

#9 Posted by BomberDude (50 posts) -

Alright cheers guys, just bought a 640gig HDD from Amazon. Forty quid including postage, not bad at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.