Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

FPS Advice - BF:BC2, MAG, MW2

ChetReckless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ChetReckless

So I'm looking for a shooter to play on the PS3 I received for Christmas, and I'm hoping some of the more experienced folks around here might be able to give me some advice (as I'm probably only going to be able to pick one).

First, about me:  I haven't been too into shooters since the Doom 2/Quake days.  (Yeah, it's been a little while.)  So you could say I've missed a lot of what came between.  I got seduced back into the fold, believe it or not, by Battlefield Heroes on the PC (easy to run on my not-so-current PC, low barrier of entry, lack of real 'hardcore' folks, quirky graphics and game play).  After playing that for a bit, I think I'm ready to grow up and join the current generation.   I've fiddled with some other shooter/shooter types since (Battlefield 1943 from PSN -- not robust enough, Uncharted 2 multiplayer -- fun, but not exactly what I want, Team Fortress 2 -- good, but I'm still looking for something on my console), but they haven't quite scratched that itch.

So second, my stipulations/preferences.  Single player on the game is not make or break -- I have other single player games that I can play.  The function of this potential FPS is mostly to participate online and kill dudes.  I only have a few hours a week I can give to this, as I have to share the TV with my girlfriend and her son, so it would be nice if the game wasn't populated entirely with the hardcore who I will never catch up with -- basically I want the ability to just join a decent game without having to maintain a giant friends list and manage that.  I won't be joining a 'clan' or anything like that, either -- I just can't devote particular scheduled times to playing games, as it just happens when it happens.

I reckon the three candidates for this scenario are MW2, MAG, and BF:BC2.  I've been playing the hell out of the BC2 demo, and enjoying that quite a bit, so that might just be my default position right now.  I have no experience with the other two, though, which is where everyone else comes in.  I worry a bit about MW2 because of the hardcore fanbase I mentioned above, and my concern with MAG is whether the playerbase will stick around, and whether the level of complexity will lead to super long matches (which I may not be able to stick around for).  Can anyone correct me? 

(tl;dr crowd: What is your favourite PS3 FPS, and why?)

skyline7284

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By skyline7284

If you like the controls of the BF: BC2 Demo, and you like how they work in 1943 i think BF:BC2 is the way to go for you.  Though if you want to play with all of your friends, it's likely most if not all of them have MW2.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SamStrife

Definately go with BF:BC2.  No offence, but you just won't be able to cut it with the MW2 crowd and MAG just isn't quite as good as BC2.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By nrain
    @SamStrife said:
    " Definately go with BF:BC2.  No offence, but you just won't be able to cut it with the MW2 crowd and MAG just isn't quite as good as BC2. "
    I'd agree with this, there are a lot of ways you can play BC2 and it's not all twitch gaming. Whereas your just gonna get tore up on CoD by people who know the maps and are better at shooting.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Skytylz

Bad Company 2 easy, i haven't played mag, but it's definately better than modern warfare 2.

ChetReckless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ChetReckless
    @SamStrife said:
    " Definately go with BF:BC2.  No offence, but you just won't be able to cut it with the MW2 crowd and MAG just isn't quite as good as BC2. "
    No offense taken -- that's the fear I have with that game.  A job and a family means I just can't compete with hardcore 15 year olds who have nothing else to do.   I'm loving the BC2 demo enough that I put down a pre-order today.  

Thanks everybody for the advice.
    TheGodPoet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGodPoet
    @ChetReckless said:
    " @SamStrife said:
    No offense taken -- that's the fear I have with that game.  A job and a family means I just can't compete with hardcore 15 year olds who have nothing else to do.   I'm loving the BC2 demo enough that I put down a pre-order today.    Thanks everybody for the advice. "
    You made a good choice. MW2 would just piss u off to no end and MAG I can see losing many players interest.

If you ever need someone to play with send me an invite. ID is Coopertus1. 
    ChetReckless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChetReckless
    @Sincillian said:
    " @ChetReckless said:
    " @SamStrife said:
    No offense taken -- that's the fear I have with that game.  A job and a family means I just can't compete with hardcore 15 year olds who have nothing else to do.   I'm loving the BC2 demo enough that I put down a pre-order today.    Thanks everybody for the advice. "
    You made a good choice. MW2 would just piss u off to no end and MAG I can see losing many players interest. If you ever need someone to play with send me an invite. ID is Coopertus1.  "
    I'll do that when I get a chance.  

For what its worth, anyone else who is into some BC2 can look me up - ChetReckless.  Put Giant Bomb in there somewhere, though, because I tend to delete anything blank or generic. 
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

i would say get modern warfare 2. it is a pretty fun game if ur good and don't care to much about dieing a lot.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Druminator

BC2 for sure if not then MW2 is where most people are going to be. MAG looks cool but I dunno I think the other two are better even though I haven't played MAG, just doesn't look as fun to me.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pause422

BC2 without a doubt.

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Rayfield

GO 4 BF:BC2 B4 MW2 & MAG.  NO ID 4 ME NOR EXP @ BC2. ZOMG FFXIII & RDR.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.