Games that look amazing in HD...

• 52 results
#1 Posted by LiquidS (971 posts) -

I have recently upgraded from a fat 32" SD TV to a 46" LED HD TV and am looking at what PS3 games people would recommend renting for the weekend that will showcase my new purchase to my friends. 

I bought Black Ops when I picked the TV up and even though it is not a franchise known for its graphics the difference from my old TV is blowing me away, so the question to you fine folk is.... 

What PS3 games do people think look the prettiest?

#2 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

Killzone 2 and LittleBigPlanet  for me. 

Killzone in particularly has some of the best smoke effects I have ever seen.

#3 Posted by CharlieTuna (328 posts) -

Uncharted 2 is a must. God of War 3 is crazy in HD too. Those two i think are the best looking games on console right now.

#4 Posted by newhaap (447 posts) -

It's a pretty simple game, but I think Split/Second looks amazing

#5 Posted by GJSmitty (651 posts) -

Uncharted 2 for sure.  Also, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time looks pretty great.

#6 Posted by TheKeywork1989 (49 posts) -

Both of the Uncharted games look stunning in HD

#7 Posted by Alex291190 (20 posts) -

Both Uncharteds, Gran turismo 5 (Or prologue), and God of War 3 really are my favorites, look awesome on a large telly. :D

#8 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Killzone 2 and/or anything that runs in 1080p.

#9 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

Uncharted 2, and God of War 3. The Saboteur isn't too shabby either.

#10 Posted by KaosAngel (13763 posts) -

11.24.10, Finish The Fight
#11 Posted by Sil3n7 (1214 posts) -

Uncharted 2 baby!

#12 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid IV looks fething awesome.

Dead Space and Assassin's creed ain't too bad either.

#13 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2140 posts) -

I would say that PS3 wipeout game with the fury expansion pack would look amazing.  Also should you care for it, Heavy Rain is also pretty good at setting a dramatic atmosphere with it's looks and in particular, the musical score.  Then of course, GT5 when it feels like coming out.

#14 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Ooh, also Burnout Paradise.

#15 Posted by AlisterCat (5849 posts) -

God of War 3 is easily one of the best looking games out there, so I'd say that.

#16 Posted by chrissedoff (2217 posts) -

halo reach

#17 Posted by guiseppe (2844 posts) -

God of War 3, Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank comes to mind.. Hmm, funny how they're all PS3 exclusives. 

#18 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5307 posts) -

I'm surprised of the lack of snarky PC responses here.

The first time I saw Uncharted 2 on my buddy's 52" TV or "The Compensator" as we like to call it, I was pretty blown away with how gorgeous it was.

Now if only it actually ran in 1080p ;)

#19 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -
@chrissedoff: very funny
#20 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5572 posts) -
@CharlieTuna said:
" Uncharted 2 is a must. God of War 3 is crazy in HD too. Those two i think are the best looking games on console right now. "
#21 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3279 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:

" I'm surprised of the lack of snarky PC responses here.  The first time I saw Uncharted 2 on my buddy's 52" "Compensator" 1080p TV I was pretty blown away with how gorgeous it was.  Now if only it actually ran in 1080p ;) "

None of the games look good in HD since jaggies and blurry textures can be easily seen.  

:-D
#22 Posted by LiquidPrince (16297 posts) -
@wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I'm surprised of the lack of snarky PC responses here.  The first time I saw Uncharted 2 on my buddy's 52" TV or "The Compensator" as we like to call it, I was pretty blown away with how gorgeous it was.  Now if only it actually ran in 1080p ;) "
What would be the cool internet nickname for my 72" TV?
#23 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5307 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
" I'm surprised of the lack of snarky PC responses here.  The first time I saw Uncharted 2 on my buddy's 52" TV or "The Compensator" as we like to call it, I was pretty blown away with how gorgeous it was.  Now if only it actually ran in 1080p ;) "
What would be the cool internet nickname for my 72" TV? "
I don't think I could handle that. I mean the girth alone.....
#24 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3279 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
The ugly, lying screen of persuasion.

HEY-OOOOOOOO
#25 Posted by LiquidPrince (16297 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
The ugly, lying screen of persuasion.  HEY-OOOOOOOO "
What does the lying part mean?
#26 Posted by Tru3_Blu3 (3279 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
What does the lying part mean? "
Screen lies about how good it looks, when in all honesty it's just a big lie: it's not in 1920x1080, it's in 560p.
#27 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

Geometry wars 2 is still probably the best looking HD game of all time. You should play that.

#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (16297 posts) -
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
Screen lies about how good it looks, when in all honesty it's just a big lie: it's not in 1920x1080, it's in 560p. "
I...err... what? I still don't... sure whatever.
#29 Posted by 49th (2940 posts) -

Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Killzone 2.
I also think Flower looks really nice on a big screen - it's super relaxing. You can download it on PSN.

#30 Posted by Freqtal (96 posts) -

Heavy Rain?

#31 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Super Street Fight IV actually looks really nice and crisp when playing on a 1080p screen.

If you like colours in your HD, SSFIV is the way to go.

#32 Posted by Vitor (2834 posts) -
@newhaap said:
" It's a pretty simple game, but I think Split/Second looks amazing "
Add Wipeout HD to the list and its expansion pack, Fury.  

Only game on this list (besides GT5) that runs at a native 1080p. It may be downloadable but I still think it's one of the best looking games on the system, both technically and artistically (especially if you like Fury's Tron inspired modes).
#33 Posted by Cazamalos (983 posts) -

uncharted 2, killzone 2, wipeout hd and gow 3 are very good looking games 
 and i guess killzone 3 and gt5 will look nice too

#34 Posted by Alex291190 (20 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" @wolf_blitzer85 said:
Screen lies about how good it looks, when in all honesty it's just a big lie: it's not in 1920x1080, it's in 560p. "
I...err... what? I still don't... sure whatever. "
You could just call it over-compensation. BOOM! :D
#35 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Be sure and point your PS3 browser to this website full of test images and explanations on how to use them to get the best picture out of your screen. No matter what you play you'll want to see the full range of colors and shades available.

#36 Posted by Vitor (2834 posts) -

Also, Flower.  

Pretty impressive technically in my opinion for an indie dev.

#37 Posted by DeF (5015 posts) -

Enslaved looks effin awesome, too

#38 Posted by Bucketdeth (8057 posts) -

1. God of War 3 
2. Uncharted 2 
3. Killzone 2 (Personal favorite PS3 title, still looks great) 
4. Ratchet and Clank:ACIT (Highly underrated title, looks fantastic and is in my opinion the Mario of Playstation)

#39 Posted by Demyx (3237 posts) -

I always though Folklore looked really good. At least some of the cutscenes

#40 Posted by AZ929 (11 posts) -

Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, God of War 3, Prince of Persia (2008), LittleBigPlanet.

#41 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (665 posts) -
God of War III, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Gran Turismo 5, and Killzone 2 look amazing when being played on a HDTV.  I just wished that they were all in 1080p HD so that my 37'' VIZIO LCD-HDTV could use it's full potential.
#42 Posted by PS3RG (424 posts) -

I know you asked for video game suggestions but if you really want to impress your friends with your new LED tv, buy or rent Planet Earth on Blu Ray. That shit will blow your friends away more than ANY hd video game out now.  

This is the Truth.

#43 Posted by Spoonman671 (4874 posts) -

Has nobody recommended Metal Gear Solid 4 yet?

#44 Posted by FritzDude (2273 posts) -

Every PS3 exclusive game looks pretty.

#45 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

When I first upgraded my TV I just stared at the XMB in awe. 

SPARKLESSSSS

#46 Posted by Mattzz10 (496 posts) -

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit has some moments where it looks downright amazing, especially with some of the weather effects.

#47 Posted by Zero_ (1976 posts) -

Wipeout bro

#48 Posted by jvsexy (169 posts) -

UNCHARTED 2
KILLZONE 2
VANQUISH
CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW
RESISTANCE 2
ASSASSINS CREED (1,2,3)

#49 Posted by lion640 (19 posts) -
basically any game that looked good in SD will look amazing in HD. 
Batman AA, Uncharted 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, and god of war III are amazing looking games that will blow you away in HD.
#50 Posted by TooWalrus (13272 posts) -

Dude- the go-to test to see how great your new TV looks it Geometry W- oh, sorry. Those PS3 exclusives all look great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.