Gametrailers declares Sony the best of E3 confrences

#1 Posted by Godwind (2596 posts) -
#2 Edited by Venatio (4493 posts) -

Yes I agree, they had the best Line-up of games

I still dont understand why the Giantbomb crew didnt appear to give a shit about Sonys Press conference on that episode of the Bombcast, yet the MS press conference was "amazing and mindblowing" according to them

#3 Posted by Shayo (57 posts) -

For gamers, the conferences have only one point, the announcement of games. And if you have to look at the sheer content of general games and exclusives that each company from the Big Three had to show, Sony did win hands down. I also applaud to Sony for keeping themselves mainly focused on hardcore gamers and not so much to the casual ones in contradiction to the other two companies.

#4 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I agree with their opinion.

#5 Posted by thegriefer (71 posts) -

yeah i would agree i dont know why everyone was saying M$.

#6 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

E3 in general was just fucking win imho all comapnies showed some seriously drool-worthy stuff- the only 'sony did better thing' i can think of was i just dont believe Natal - at all 

Whislt sonys was very rough around the edges, it was demonstrated there and then, and was a lot more genuine - 

Both showed an equal amount of games that made me salivate immediately- picking a 'winner' is irrelavent if they are all aiming at different audiances
#7 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I respectfully disagree.

#8 Posted by SilverArrows (97 posts) -

I disagree. I think Sony is forced to cater to the hardcore because their price point to entry is too high.
Microsoft has sort of conquered the hardcore .... Sony is literally trailling MSFT in terms of strategy.

As far as exclusives is concerened, i think its a pretty even fight, at least for this year.
HALO3: ODST > MAG (in terms of sales)
Conviction ~= Uncharted (The Splinter Cell name will help)
Ratchet is the only truely unique game that the PS3 will offer this year, but Xbox will have Forza3, that will be a sales success. 

For the next year, its also pretty split, i think
Sony will have GoW, FF14, Guardian, and maybe GT5 and Microsoft will have Halo: Reach, Alan Wake, Mass2, and Crackdown 2.

Microsoft is going after the casual, since they know they have their hardcore base covered, while Sony is till not sured up on that (the price is just too high right now)

Getting back to the point though, I think its pretty even for the next 2 years as far as games is concerned, each system will have its standouts.

#9 Posted by LiquidPrince (16181 posts) -

Agreed. Microsoft was a close second.

#10 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I have to agree, though Microsoft and Nintendo's showings were admiral as well. 

#11 Posted by RelentlessKnight (965 posts) -

I almost agree on the Sony conference but they just have to talk about the PS2 again

#12 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

I agree, a lot of it blew me away.  It's got me hyped for 2010.

#13 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I definitely agree, I had a great time watching Sony's conference. In fact, I think all three did really well, as well as EA. Ubisoft's conference fucking sucked.

#14 Posted by m_rum (128 posts) -

It's very hard to pick one over another this year. I even liked Nintendo's conference a lot.

#15 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I disagree, but they did have a good conference for the most part, so the pick isn't exactly outrageous. 

#16 Posted by Meptron (1113 posts) -

I think you could make a well founded argument for either microsoft or sony. personally, I'd call it a tie.

What I'm most surprized about is how nobody talks about how good nintendo was. Sure, the vitality sensor was stupid, but they announced two Mario games and a Metroid. Those are some heavy hitters.
#17 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

I disagree. It was definitely a fantastic conference, but I actually thought Microsoft's was better(not by far though).

#18 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Meptron said:
" I think you could make a well founded argument for either microsoft or sony. personally, I'd call it a tie.

What I'm most surprized about is how nobody talks about how good nintendo was. Sure, the vitality sensor was stupid, but they announced two Mario games and a Metroid. Those are some heavy hitters.
"
It's because it's cool to hate Nintendo on this site, but even in a fair judgement I dont think Nintendo won, and that's after practically jizzing myself at the Golden Sun announcement. 
#19 Posted by Fr0Br0 (3101 posts) -

I agree. But that doesn't mean it was flawless. They went off on a rough start dragging on with charts and statistics and continuing to preach about the PS2 life cycle. But after that it was all action and everything I would want to see.

If they just follow MS, M$, Mickiesoft, or whatever the hell some of you find that you just need to type in for Microsoft, and ditch the boring sales talk then it would be inevitable to name them best conference.

#20 Posted by Meptron (1113 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
"
@Meptron said:
" I think you could make a well founded argument for either microsoft or sony. personally, I'd call it a tie.

"
It's because it's cool to hate Nintendo on this site, but even in a fair judgement I dont think Nintendo won, and that's after practically jizzing myself at the Golden Sun announcement. 
"
I agree you couldn't easily argue that Nintendo won. But they still had a great showing.

I don't want to upset any Nintendo fans, but I think attitudes towards Nintendo and their conference might say something about how increasingly irrelevant Nintendo is becoming to enthusiast gamers. Again, I don't want to upset anybody, but it's true that enthusiast gamers are no longer the focus of Nintendo (two Marios or not) and I think the indifference towards the conference is a reaction to this.
#21 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Meptron said:
"
@AgentJ said:
"
@Meptron said:

"
"
I agree you couldn't easily argue that Nintendo won. But they still had a great showing.

I don't want to upset any Nintendo fans, but I think attitudes towards Nintendo and their conference might say something about how increasingly irrelevant Nintendo is becoming to enthusiast gamers. Again, I don't want to upset anybody, but it's true that enthusiast gamers are no longer the focus of Nintendo (two Marios or not) and I think the indifference towards the conference is a reaction to this.
"
I agree that a lot of "entusiast gamers" are turning away from Nintendo, but i do not think that it is warranted. Then again, all that matters to me is Golden Sun, so my view is probably a bit schewed (Metroid and "Sin and Punishment" and "Monado" were nice too)
#22 Posted by TripMasterMunky (2403 posts) -

Sony and Microsoft were both tied in my opinion. Both showed off cool stuff. Nintendo came much farther behind, although they were better than last year, which wasn't hard.

#23 Posted by Ket87 (441 posts) -

Sony won, their entire presentation save for the "wand" was all focused on real games. The games gamers care about not what 6 year girls care about or what their moms care about. Microsoft went out there and further made it seem like they would have rather made the Wii with the increasing casual games market and crazy obscene gimmicks like Natal. Also am I the only one put off by how much Microsoft takes third party multi-plats and practically announces them as exclusives and disregard the fact that 80% of their presentation were multi-plats that Sony had? Just a thought about how much passing off material as their own they do at these shows. And Nintendo just snored away and showed that all they are capable of putting out are rehashes of the same three series and hundreds of party games for little kids.

#24 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
I agree,  I was really getting irrated when everyone was hoping on the MS bandwagon just because they had a highly produced conference made for as wide a television audience as possible.
I'm giving GT mad props for just saying the truth. 
I remember watching Brad on G4 and dude it pissed me the hell off, he's like MICROSOFT CONFERENCE WAS THE BEST BY A MILE!!!! 
I'm like...WTF!? Dude, stop being a fanboy all of the sudden. 
@SilverArrows said:
" I disagree. I think Sony is forced to cater to the hardcore because their price point to entry is too high. Microsoft has sort of conquered the hardcore .... Sony is literally trailling MSFT in terms of strategy. As far as exclusives is concerened, i think its a pretty even fight, at least for this year.HALO3: ODST > MAG (in terms of sales)Conviction ~= Uncharted (The Splinter Cell name will help)Ratchet is the only truely unique game that the PS3 will offer this year, but Xbox will have Forza3, that will be a sales success. For the next year, its also pretty split, i thinkSony will have GoW, FF14, Guardian, and maybe GT5 and Microsoft will have Halo: Reach, Alan Wake, Mass2, and Crackdown 2.Microsoft is going after the casual, since they know they have their hardcore base covered, while Sony is till not sured up on that (the price is just too high right now)Getting back to the point though, I think its pretty even for the next 2 years as far as games is concerned, each system will have its standouts. "
I don't Ever want to see HALO3ODST>MAG EVER AGAIN!! Nobody cares about sales, because everyone knows after Halo Wars, fanboys will convince themselves that anything is good as long as the word Halo is written on it. 
Conviction will be a cool kick ass game, but not on par with Uncharted 2 pal. again with the sales, i dont know about that one though, uncharted 2 could probably outsell splinter cell. 
and seriously, do we need another halo game? halo reach better revolutionize the fucking genre man. 
#25 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Having all 3 consoles I really don't care and can't help but find the idea of "winning" E3 absurd.

#26 Posted by SenatorSpacer (432 posts) -

I disagree, but Sony did one hell of a job.

#27 Posted by Akeldama (4257 posts) -
@Venatio said:
" Yes I agree, they had the best Line-up of gamesI still dont understand why the Giantbomb crew didnt appear to give a shit about Sonys Press conference on that episode of the Bombcast, yet the MS press conference was "amazing and mindblowing" according to them "
this 
#28 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

Yeah, I think you're a little late. It was announced on GT last week I think.

#29 Edited by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -
@cide said:
" Having all 3 consoles I really don't care and can't help but find the idea of "winning" E3 absurd. "
the award wasn't for who won E3, it was for who had the best E3 press conference. 
@Akeldama said:
"
@Venatio said:
" Yes I agree, they had the best Line-up of gamesI still dont understand why the Giantbomb crew didnt appear to give a shit about Sonys Press conference on that episode of the Bombcast, yet the MS press conference was "amazing and mindblowing" according to them "
this 
"
yeah they were clearly star struck and then sucked in by peter molyneux's mock discovery channel documentary video where he chatted about how "incredible" milo and that chic were!
I think this has a lot to with the fact that they've been to so many E3's and the fact that MS's conference was so highly produced it totally impressed them. If Sony's conference was similarly designed, I think they're opinions would have changed greatly. Next year Sony and Nintendo will follow suit. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony hires some big shot to design the show next year. MS showed everyone that they need to start taking advantage of the fact that the show is aired on live television. Other than a few neat exclusives (alan wake and splinter really) they didn't show me much that interested me, and Natal just seemed like a lot of things I have seen in the past and none of it looks like lasting fun, nobody is going to want to play burnout paradise that way, and no casual gamer like the old people and girls they were marketing to will ever pick up burnout paradise to play it on Natal. Also the price of it was really bugging me too, you know its gonna cost like $200. 
#30 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

while i only have a ps3, i liked them all. they all showed some pretty interesting things.

#31 Posted by Optiow (1745 posts) -

I say that Sony has done well, although I thought Microsoft did well also.

#32 Posted by gimmysumcowbel (418 posts) -

i thought that Microsofts press conference was much more entertaining.  they may not have a better line up than playstation but at least they didnt talk about the original xbox, or any numbers from the past for that matter

#33 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

as usual im going to have to disagree with gametrailers

#34 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

IMO Microsoft are making a big mistake with trying appeal to casual crowds. They need to focus on hardcore gamers, they are the ones who made the 360 a success, not the casual gamer. Microsoft has a looooooooooooooooooooooong history of the Grass is always greener syndrome. They never take risks and they never come up with original ideas. Leave the casual gamers to Nintendo and don't spread your self.  Project natal sound interesting but...Do you really see any hardcore gamer playing a FPS game by pointing his finger at the screen?, what do you do when you need to move your character? , get up and start running.?! Microsoft are playing with fire here and when you play with fire you get burnt. I also don't trust any hardware coming out of Microsoft, in that department they also have a loooooooooooooong history of delivering some of the most "injury prone" devices on the market. They spend so money on marketing when they should spend it on their R&D and Quality control.  

#35 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

I really thought Microsoft performed to my tastes a little bit more, but Sony's was still damn great.

#36 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
@Shayo said:
" For gamers, the conferences have only one point, the announcement of games. And if you have to look at the sheer content of general games and exclusives that each company from the Big Three had to show, Sony did win hands down. I also applaud to Sony for keeping themselves mainly focused on hardcore gamers and not so much to the casual ones in contradiction to the other two companies. "
I agree with this.

I don't own a PS3 but I think sometimes you've got to give every company the same roll of the dice regardless with what you own or like the most. I thought the 360 conference was mostly boring games that were trying to get that Wii croud (apart, obviously from games like MW2 and L4D2) while I thought the PS3 conference was more focused on the oldschool, hardcore gamers. If you look at all 3 companys' demos of their new motion shit you saw Microsoft's aimed squarely at casual gamers but when watching the tech demo for the PS3 remote I got a totally different vibe from it.

I think it's very smart of Sony to be focusing on the core gamers since they can't and shouldn't go after the casual market because no family who only wants to play kiddy games is going to drop money on a very expensive console when a much cheaper one is out there. The people buying PS3s right now are the people who want games like Uncharted 2 and Killzone and I think that's great. I only wish I could afford 1 myself.
#37 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -

I thought Sony had the best press conference. I also don't have a PS3, so in hindsight maybe that's why I liked Sony's more. You know... because I want a PS3.

#38 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -
@gimmysumcowbel said:
" i thought that Microsofts press conference was much more entertaining.  they may not have a better line up than playstation but at least they didnt talk about the original xbox, or any numbers from the past for that matter "
That's because the xbox was such a hardware/software nightmare that they had to drop all support for it. I won't go into details but if you want to discuss it the PM me. I do though agree that Sony should just let the PS2 die with dignity but there still sells. If you do a little more in-depth research then you'll see that they unlike Microsoft who just "suddenly" dropped all support for the original xbox, they [Sony] are quietly lowering the support for that system. 
#39 Posted by Lard (262 posts) -

Sony had a better games lineup. Microsoft had no exciting annoucements and a boring pedophile sim from Peter Molyneux.

#40 Posted by ROBdaMOB (175 posts) -

hannah montana psp > natal
lol
in all seriousness sony had a sick lineup
i just thought they had too many damn montages

#41 Posted by TheEnd (87 posts) -

Yes I agree. I like gametrailers, I just dont like the community very much. Although that problem was solved for me by joining private factions.

#42 Posted by xplodedd (1316 posts) -

if i wouldnt be pissed at microsoft's shitty 360 hardware i would disagree..
but since im pretty frustrated with the 360 atm, I agree...

#43 Posted by Binman88 (3691 posts) -

I agree. Microsoft came a close second though, then EA and Nintendo. Didn't watch the Ubi one.

#44 Posted by damnboyadvance (4061 posts) -

I'd say it was a respectful tie between Microsoft and Sony. They both showed games, they both showed hardware, it was fair/

#45 Posted by Roboyto (80 posts) -

I totally agree, hearing about and watching MS conference didnt have me nearly as excited as the lineup that Sony showed off. As to why the GB staff didnt seem to care about the Sony conference, I cant help but notice that there is more than a little MS fanboy tendency with most of the staff

#46 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

I win
eat it enemies

#47 Edited by get2sammyb (6412 posts) -

Put it this way: Sony didn't have time to show Heavy Rain and Ratchet & Clank. Two of their bigger exclusive titles. They didn't have time for them.

Microsoft had a better show, Sony had the better content, Nintendo were the most improved.

By the way, while PS2 is still selling 100,000 systems a month, they are always going to make a nod towards it. I know most people don't care, but when the system is still selling, they have to show a little support for it. I think they touched on it rather quickly.

#48 Posted by Hoopstown (10 posts) -

I agree, hands down the best for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.