Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Has anyone got their PS3 repaired?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

Mine has died the other night. I called Sony and they've told me it would cost $169 for repairs. I've heard somewhere that when they repair a PS3, they add a (or some) fan(s) to stop the PS3 from overheating. Is this true? If anyone has had his PS3 repaired: was it louder once repaired?

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Megalon

My friend has his repaired awhile back, and I haven't noticed it being louder than before. Then again, it was his blu ray drive that was busted, so maybe they wouldn't bother with more fans when fixing that?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't know why it would cost you that much money unless it's a launch console, but if they do put a new fan in, it might a 19 blade instead of 15 blade one. It shouldn't be any louder.

Qorious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Qorious

Nope, and hopefully I would never have to send it.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar
    AuthenticM said:
    "Mine has died the other night. I called Sony and they've told me it would cost $169 for repairs. I've heard somewhere that when they repair a PS3, they add a (or some) fan(s) to stop the PS3 from overheating. Is this true? If anyone has had his PS3 repaired: was it louder once repaired?"
    No, but any problems ever that has been posted on the PS3 isn't heat related anyway; you're probably better off seeing if you have warrenty on it still or just pay the money (and now buy extended warrenty). The PS3 only has one really huge ass fan. Any problems you are paying to fix is probably the laser lens reading off the PS3. But then again you never said what was wrong with your PS3 so who knows.

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Sorry there is a bug that always puts up an error message when I try to change the photo.

JDM006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JDM006
    My PS3 stopped reading all discs right after I installed firmware 2.60.  I'm not sure why that happened.  Anyways,  Sony's whole process for getting your system repaired is really screwed up. Unless you have a proof of purchase in the form of a receipt or credit/debit card statement, then they will not honor your 1 year warranty.  So do not lose that receipt if you have paid with cash or else pay $150 to get the thing fixed.  The part that I'm upset about is that Sony was not going to inform me of the $150 charge until I had shipped my PS3 off.  Why can't Sony be like Microsoft?  When my 360 broke I didn't even need a proof of purchase.  Their whole customer support process is a lot better probably because of the RRoD epidemic.  I think Sony is just trying to scam customers with this.
    ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I have had my PS3 repaired and it was an awful experience, they just would not believe it died! I'm pretty sure they do not add another fan.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Giantsquirrel

I had mine sent it because of lock-up problems while still under warranty. If you do go the Sony route and get it fixed their turnaround time is much faster than Microsoft. I sent mine in Friday and got it back the following Thursday. Overnight shipping both ways. Good deal.

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By creamclouds

how bad are these PS3 failing issues compared to 360. a 1 year warranty isnt that long. arent sony more confident in their product?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Gizmo

If I buy a second hand PS3, if it breaks down can I pay money for Sony to fix it?

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By super_machine

Dude, I'm about to go through the same mess. My PS3 just shut down on its own and now it wont output anysignals to the the TV. It turns on with the green and blue lights showing, but when I try and do the manual re-boot to default settings it just shuts off instead of beeping twice and rebooting. This is such bull shit, I was only one month past my 1 year warranty. I went with sony because I didnt want the Hardware BS that xbox owners have to put up with. Enough of my friends got RROD to scare me away. And now this happens after 13 months. I want to smack those smug ass sony execs off their high horse.

creamclouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By creamclouds
    super_machine said:
    "Dude, I'm about to go through the same mess. My PS3 just shut down on its own and now it wont output anysignals to the the TV. It turns on with the green and blue lights showing, but when I try and do the manual re-boot to default settings it just shuts off instead of beeping twice and rebooting. This is such bull shit, I was only one month past my 1 year warranty. I went with sony because I didnt want the Hardware BS that xbox owners have to put up with. Enough of my friends got RROD to scare me away. And now this happens after 13 months. I want to smack those smug ass sony execs off their high horse."
    you know, that's what happened to me with my 360 recently. 1 month after the 1 year warranty, then the Red Flash. I was considering getting a PS3 for the same reason you did.
    What made me get the 360 was the newer chip Microsoft was putting in the 360s, which I foolishly believed would make any difference to the chance of getting a Red Ring.
    I sold my 360 as faulty on ebay. Not giving Microsoft anymore of my money.
    Reading your comment, I think I'll just stick to my PSONE with 4inch LCD screen. Why are these new age consoles so unstable? If this is the way things are moving forward with gaming technology, I'm moving back toward the 80s for entertainment.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By super_machine
    creamclouds said:
    "super_machine said:
    "Dude, I'm about to go through the same mess. My PS3 just shut down on its own and now it wont output anysignals to the the TV. It turns on with the green and blue lights showing, but when I try and do the manual re-boot to default settings it just shuts off instead of beeping twice and rebooting. This is such bull shit, I was only one month past my 1 year warranty. I went with sony because I didnt want the Hardware BS that xbox owners have to put up with. Enough of my friends got RROD to scare me away. And now this happens after 13 months. I want to smack those smug ass sony execs off their high horse."
    you know, that's what happened to me with my 360 recently. 1 month after the 1 year warranty, then the Red Flash. I was considering getting a PS3 for the same reason you did.
    What made me get the 360 was the newer chip Microsoft was putting in the 360s, which I foolishly believed would make any difference to the chance of getting a Red Ring.
    I sold my 360 as faulty on ebay. Not giving Microsoft anymore of my money.
    Reading your comment, I think I'll just stick to my PSONE with 4inch LCD screen. Why are these new age consoles so unstable? If this is the way things are moving forward with gaming technology, I'm moving back toward the 80s for entertainment."
    Yeah I lost all trust in either company. But I love my ps3, thats why I'm so mad about this. I was looking forward to playing some anticipated games over the next three months, but instead I will blow my games budget on getting my barely one year old system fixed.
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By psmgamer

Never have and hope that I never have to get it repaired in the future.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane

Buddy at work ... his stopped reading discs.  He ended up going to a small EE shop in San Jose.  Guy fixed it in  2 days, replaced the BR laser for $120 cash (no credit/checks) w/ 60 day warranty on top.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah, I took it to Best Buy and it came back white and played Gears of War 2 and Halo.  It works better than ever!
    No, PS3 seems like a pretty sturdy system, mine still works great and don't think I will have any problems any time soon, though for those who have gotten theirs fixed, I heard stories about it taking too long or being expensive.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By brukaoru
    JDM006 said:
    "My PS3 stopped reading all discs right after I installed firmware 2.60.  I'm not sure why that happened.  Anyways,  Sony's whole process for getting your system repaired is really screwed up. Unless you have a proof of purchase in the form of a receipt or credit/debit card statement, then they will not honor your 1 year warranty.  So do not lose that receipt if you have paid with cash or else pay $150 to get the thing fixed.  The part that I'm upset about is that Sony was not going to inform me of the $150 charge until I had shipped my PS3 off.  Why can't Sony be like Microsoft?  When my 360 broke I didn't even need a proof of purchase.  Their whole customer support process is a lot better probably because of the RRoD epidemic.  I think Sony is just trying to scam customers with this."
    Because the percentage of PS3s that have problems are only about 3% compared to the number of 360 failures at 30%. Microsoft wasn't that good about their service either until it was so much of a problem that they had to start extending warranties. If the failure rate of the PS3 was that high, obviously Sony would be obligated to have a similar policy for repairs. Also, it seems you paid for your console with cash, but not many companies would validate a warranty if you don't provide a proof of purchase, I don't know how you could say it's a "scam."

Apparently, you weren't the only one with the problem after installing 2.60, though there seems to be solutions for fixing the problem according to this article: http://www.mygaming.co.za/news/PS3/3358-New-PS3-firmware-kills-consoles.html
    "The issues being experienced do seem to be linked to the firmware download; however, it seems that the problems are only occurring on systems that did not complete the download correctly. This has lead to a number of users receiving corrupted downloads, leading to a host of hardware malfunctions.

So for anyone who completed the download properly without any hitches, there is no need to worry. As a warning to those yet to perform the update, it is highly advisable that when doing so you allow the update to run its course without interruption. If the download appears stuck, be patient as disrupting the process can cause the problems faced by many so far.

There is the option to download the update from Sony’s website using your PC, then once the download is 100% complete, it is safe to transfer it to your console. Get the downloadhere. "
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By super_machine

I just got mine back today. They were fast about it, that much I am happy about. The day after I sent the box via UPS, I got an email from sony that they were shipping my a PS3. If it wasnt on a Friday I would have had it sooner. I'm glad I got it back, but when I put my HDD back into the new system it says it needs to be formated and all my data will be lost. Mother fucker. I'm not so upset about the intalls as much as I am about all the saved game files I'm going to lose.  That settles the question of when I'm going to upgrade to a bigger HDD, Now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.