Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

"HD" PS2 Games on Backwards Compatible PS3

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Well, there's this thing where you can easily search for information called Google. You just go there and enter keywords. Here, I've already done it for you.

...OK, just hold triangle and x at the load screen.

Anyway, I don't know much about how the backwards compatible PS3's handle PS2 games, but it likely renders them in whatever resolutions the game supports and then upscales them to whatever resolution it's outputting, probably 720p.

And because I started this on a smug dick-ish note, I'll end it on one - the best video quality available is an emulator on PC.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'd be fairly certain that the PS3 emulation (especially the launch models with the Emotion Engine on board) will default to progressive mode simply because it makes the task of upscaling simpler and cleaner (no de-interlacing prior to upscale). It won't however output the games in HD, only emulators do that.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By razkazz

The PS3 actually upscales really nicely on its own, I found that putting RE4 in progressive scan actually made it look worse. It should look fine. I really miss having a backwards compatible PS3, the upscaling makes a huge difference.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.