Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

HDMI

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Just got a new TV, with HDMI plugs, so can anyone recommend me a good HDMI cable for my PS3? Thanks.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By Dissolve
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dissolve
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

Or you can get a monster cable and have top quality and actually have it guaranteed for life.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Yeah, I decided to go with the second one linked, thanks a bunch!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

Good choice I guess.

Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dissolve
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Or you can get a monster cable and have top quality and actually have it guaranteed for life.
    "
    Or you can just buy another $3 generic brand if your first one breaks and not spend UNGODLY amounts of money on Monster's overpriced HDMI cables (which give the same picture quality as the cheapest HDMI cable gives).
    Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dissolve
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Yeah, I decided to go with the second one linked, thanks a bunch!
    "
    You're quite welcome. I love introducing as many people I can to monoprice. It's the best and cheapest way to buy cables. Plus they ship really fast. You'll probably have your cable by Wednesday.
    DrVanNostren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By DrVanNostren

Yeah I agree with Dissolve it makes more sense to go cheap with HDMI.

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By DeadWeezel

Disolved is correct.  HDMI is a digital signal and high price cables are not worth buying.  Digital is digital.

The only time you will need to pay more is when you want an unusually long cable, at which point you would want components that are a bit better than bottom of the line stuff.  Otherwise for local wiring as long as the cable is built ok and not lose or falling apart, that will give you the same picture and sound as one 5x the price.

If you see weird static twinkles over the picture, known as sparklies, then you know the cable is not carrying a signal properly.  Just so you know.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Dissolve said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Or you can get a monster cable and have top quality and actually have it guaranteed for life.
    "
    Or you can just buy another $3 generic brand if your first one breaks and not spend UNGODLY amounts of money on Monster's overpriced HDMI cables (which give the same picture quality as the cheapest HDMI cable gives).
    "
    Actually there are slight differences in picture quality depending on cables. Also I get my cables cheap because I have connections. =P
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DeadWeezel
    LiquidPrince said:
    "Dissolve said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "
    "
    Actually there are slight differences in picture quality depending on cables. Also I get my cables cheap because I have connections. =P
    "
    There really is not.  Many signal measurement tests have been done on this topic, the difference is only going to be over long distances where a cable made of poor parts can not provide the full bandwidth or suffers signal degradation.

Anything else is just delusional justification of spending more.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
    nailerr said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "Dissolve said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "
    "
    "
    There really is not.  Many signal measurement tests have been done on this topic, the difference is only going to be over long distances where a cable made of poor parts can not provide the full bandwidth or suffers signal degradation.

Anything else is just delusional justification of spending more.
    "
    Well I install home theaters and have seen the effects of different quality cables. I'm not saying that expensive ones are always better, but as Iit turns out, some of the cheap cables that I've come in contact with usually produce softer images, and Ive had problems with the picture distorting. Cheap cables usually degrade a lot faster as well.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DeadWeezel

Degradation of the physical object is understandable, although most people will not move them around much over their life.  Distortion certainly is possible, but that tends to be a case of the cable being very long and degradation of signal, meaning the same as any loss of digital signal, artifacting etc.

But softer image?  That sounds highly questionable as how can a cable modify the digital signal?  It is a case of on and off, digital.  Softer image over analogue I can understand, but this?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
    nailerr said:
    "Degradation of the physical object is understandable, although most people will not move them around much over their life.  Distortion certainly is possible, but that tends to be a case of the cable being very long and degradation of signal, meaning the same as any loss of digital signal, artifacting etc.

But softer image?  That sounds highly questionable as how can a cable modify the digital signal?  It is a case of on and off, digital.  Softer image over analogue I can understand, but this?
    "
    Distortion can cause a softer image. In fact distortion of signal can cause pretty much every issue with the picture you can think of from banding, pixelation, artifacting and so on.
    DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeadWeezel

I suppose the best way to look at it then is simply - like with everything else - never buy anything that looks like it was built with spit and tape ;)

Anything above should suffice.

Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I'd recommend looking out for is the version of the HDMI. Version 1.3 can handle both Audio and video (the ps3 supports it) but if you have a TV and/or  hdmi cable with 1.2 or below then you'll get video only.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince
    nailerr said:
    "I suppose the best way to look at it then is simply - like with everything else - never buy anything that looks like it was built with spit and tape ;)

Anything above should suffice.
    "
    Words to live by...
    Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Batman
    tbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tbone
    Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dissolve

I have a 10-footer and it's perfect.

The only time you need to start worrying about cable length is when you're getting like 50 feet or more, even then, a well-built HDMI cable (like you'd find on monoprice for cheap) will not degrade at all - because it's friggin' digital and not analog.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By super_machine
    Dissolve said:
    "That's fine but you can go even cheaper.

That one's for in-wall installation so I think it has some kind of reinforced jacket (to avoid getting kinked I suppose) which you probably don't need for your home setup. You can save $2 and just get this baby: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10243&cs_id=1024007&p_id=3871&seq=1&format=2

"
    I would actually get the thicker cable and spend a few more $$. The 24awg is stiffer, and fatter, but its also more durable. And dont let anyone tell you to get a monster cable. They are way over priced and give you the same quality signal. monster probably has better quality manufacturing, or it could all be marketing brand name BS. Even if your monoprice HDMI cable ever gives out, they are so cheap will it matter?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.