Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

HDMI and YUV don't work anymore.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#1  Edited By Stefan

Hey Bombers, 

A couple of days ago I started up my Playstation 3 for the first time in ages. It used to be hooked up to my Philips TV via HDMI which worked fine. 
    As I just said, I haven't played with it for the past two years - that's because the HDD seems to have been faulty and I had to replace it. But even before I installed the new HDD the video signal didn't work anymore via HDMI, only regular component. I thought I should take care of the problem once I have finished installing the HDD, updating the system, adjusting settings... However, no matter what I tried I couldn't seem to get HDMI working again. 

Then I remembered that I had tried to hook the PS3 up to a PC monitor a few months ago using the HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI adapter. I figured that this might have caused the HDMI port to break (I have no clue about electronics so this was only some wild guess) - at least since then I can't play via HDMI anymore, I think. 
    Anyway, now I have bought a YUV component cable to play in HD again, no matter whether the HDMI port is broken or not, and hooked it up to my Atlona scaler which I use for older consoles (in order to get rid of any noise). But no matter what resolution I try, I can't get the cable to work with my PS3, only with my PS2 (the box it came in indicated that it should work with both systems).   
    Of cause I tried out different HDMI cables, checked whether the TV port was working, tried hooking the PS3 up to a different screen etc... 
    Now I am at a total loss and don't know where to go from here. I was hoping that you guys might be able to give me a hint or two as to what's wrong  with my PS3 which only accepts the component or a s-video cable. Thanks in advance, keep the bombs rolling!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

@Stefan: Are you able to get any screen output from the PS3? Have you tried doing the factory default system reset?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BlackLagoon

Try having the console turned off, then holding down the power button until you hear a few beeps. It will reset the video settings and often fix problems like this.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Aetheldod

Perhaps the resolution in the PS3 is set to other settings and unlike the xbox the PS3 does not auto corrects itself , I dunno how to correct it tho without being able to see the menus etc.

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By Stefan
    @mosespippy said:

@Stefan: Are you able to get any screen output from the PS3? Have you tried doing the factory default system reset?

Yes, component and s-video works perfectly fine. 

@BlackLagoon said:

Try having the console turned off, then holding down the power button until you hear a few beeps. It will reset the video settings and often fix problems like this.

I tried that several times but it doesn't seem to work - well it resets my settings but it doesn't enable HDMI :-(@Aetheldod said:

Perhaps the resolution in the PS3 is set to other settings and unlike the xbox the PS3 does not auto corrects itself , I dunno how to correct it tho without being able to see the menus etc.

I tried all selectable resolution, no luck 

Thanks for your support so far, I'll keep you posted on whether I can manage to find a solution.
    Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aetheldod

Have you selected in the video output to be HDMI? This on the PS3 Settings-Display Settings-Video Output Settings

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

On the "may HDMI>DVI adapters have caused it" question, I wouldn't think so. They are compatible standards, so unless you bought some very faulty adapter which may somehow have damaged the HDMI port (really don't think that's a likely scenario) that shouldn't cause any issues.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By AuthenticM

If nothing works, you'll have a great excuse to buy yourself a new super-slim PS3. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.