Help backing up my PS3 before I get a new drive.

#1 Edited by algertman (852 posts) -

I have an old 60g fat. Due to PS+ I have finally got tire of deleting stuff to make room. I know you can back it up with a usb stick but exactly how much space do I need on the stick? Can I back everything up in cloud? Is there a way to do that I'm missing?

Also if you can recommend me a good hard drive I will dance at your wedding but only in your dreams.

#2 Posted by Yadilie (379 posts) -

You can backup all your saves to the cloud but be careful because some saves can't be accessed for a whole day. Also PS3s use really cheap laptop hard drives.

#3 Posted by Teoball (639 posts) -

My 60GB fat died the other day so I bought a new 500GB one. I had all my saves in the cloud and downloading them to the new PS3 was a breeze.  

If you like the Yakuza games there's a problem though. The games actually store some info in the game data that is not part of the save. 
I found out that to access my saves I have to finish the games again, and then I can access my old saves for some reason.

#4 Posted by Jawesome87 (15 posts) -

There is a function in the PS3 system settings fo backing up your hard drive and also restoring from a hard drive.

The thing that caught me off guard when I first swapped out my hard drive is the fact that your external backup HD has to be FAT32. Luckily I was able to partition a drive to FAT32 and everything is smooth sailing after that.

Any 2.5" Notebook HD will do though I have heard that those SSD Hybrid drives will help load times and are cheaper than getting a fill SSD.

#5 Posted by sopachuco13 (392 posts) -

If you are gonna back up your PS3 using the backup function, you are either going to need a really big USB stick or an external hard drive. You can only save save files on the cloud. I would buy the 1 TB Western Digital. I got mine in Japan and it was 8000 yen, about $100. Totally worth it! Especially if you are a PS+ member.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.