Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

How could sony beat microsoft's conference?

• 125 results
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I think it's pretty universally agreed on- mictosoft's conference kicked ass.

So what I want to know is, what could sony do to beat it?  What would they have to announce?  What new game's gameplay reveals would be significant?  Would more gameplay of Uncharted, GOW, etc. really mean anything?  New features?  (obviously psp go is coming as well as a ps3 sim)

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

It really comes down to the new technology and features Sony can announce.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

It was indeed pretty kick ass.

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nexas

Anything really. I was very disappointed with Microsoft's showing.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Sony has been the most solid at E3 the past 2 years, I think that they could very easily match or exceed Microsoft's conference.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Chaos_Bladez

Having 2 or more Metal Gears. MS showed games that were announced earlier and had some footage and that's good.
    It all depends on what we DON'T know from Sony, which I hope is a lot.

I'm afraid that too much got leaked but hey... it's supposed to be 2 hours.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By Cube

Universally agreed on?

Shut up.

It was decent at best.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Guardian

Honestly, the games we know about can compete with Microsoft (in my opinion). Just show me more Uncharted, God of War, ect. and I'm happy. But we know there will be more! I think its going to be about games, games, games. 

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slinky6

Halo on PS3

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By SpinCookie

Im not a microsoft fan at all, but the technology they showed off was pretty cool I thought.  I think once Sony unveils the PSP Go and some new games we haven' heard of it will be pretty noteworthy though.  A PS3 price drop, or PS3 slim announcement would be pretty huge too.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RsistncE

They will introduce a doom machine/pandoras box that plugs into your PS3. It is up to the gamer to prevent the box from opening by pressing the X button every 108 minutes.

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Luke

Here are some things I think would do it:

1. New Patch that will give PSN 100% the same features as XBL, for free... including external API data parsing of Trophies.
    2. Trophy support for PSP and back-porting of Trophies to existing titles.
    3. Back-porting of Trophies to blockbuster games, such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet & Clank's games, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, ect.
    4. Most important: Show, not just talk, about all the new games coming-out!
    TheKidNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheKidNixon

I think a really breathtaking group of demos from first-party titles, capping off with God of War 3 with a firm release date early next year, could steal a lot of thunder. Really, for Microsofts crowing about how they can get any third party IP they want at this point, Sony I feel stills has the edge with the first and second party studios still.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Guardian
    @Luke said:
    " Here are some things I think would do it:
    1. Back-porting of Trophies to blockbuster games, such as Metal Gear Solid 4, 
    Thats good enough for me! :P
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60
    @Luke said:
    1. New Patch that will give PSN 100% the same features as XBL, for free... including external API data parsing of Trophies.
    "
    Lol, won't happen.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By tekmojo
    @Luke said:
    3. Back-porting of Trophies to blockbuster games, such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet & Clank's games, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea 3, ect.
    "
    I hope not, those are horrible things to announce at E3, unless they are minor footnotes.
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

No more 3rd party exclusives on 360, that includes downloadable content like those SNK fighting games that have online play like Mark of the Wolves, Samurai Showdown II, KOF '98 UM. And that remake of TMNT: Turtles in Time.

Mark of the Wolves for PSN, please!

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#18  Edited By EpicSteve

Sooo who becomes SKYnet first?

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killdave
    @Luke said:
    "
    You have got to be fucking kidding me ...

From what you've said;
    a few things to make it how the xbox was a year ago is hardly going to make it complete let alone best what MS showed with its Natal crazy shit.
    Playing catch up is not enough I want to see more a LOT more.
    Hell ... my biggest reason I tell myself why I paid all that cash for my PS3 was the HD movies and now MS are saying 1080p instant streaming ...
    damn
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Let's put it this way:  if Nintendo is truly showing off the Wii HD...then Nintendo might take the entire kit-and-kaboodle.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zombie2011

MS was awesome no bar graphs, just straight games for the entire conference. Then Natal was shown to be awesome end conference.

ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ponyslayer

Persona 5, done.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By trophyhunter

I was not impressed by 360 at all
    spent way to much time one the Beatles
    odst is just more halo
    alan wake looked like a slightly better alone in the dark
    I'm in the usa so I don't care about the UK getting netflix
    who the hell would listen to the radio on the 360 if you have it on your probability playing a game 
    the only thing that had anything at all was the new metal gear game
    oh yeah have fun with your little boy fondling simulator hahaha

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By dogbox

I wouldn't mind seeing an earlier date for the PS3 version of FF13. And some Uncharted 2 stuff, as well. I don't think they'll have any Natal-style technology in the works, but I guess we'll see.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Xeiphyer

Well, Theyre going to show off FF13, Hopefully versus 13, MAG which looks amazing, Uncharted 2 which looks meh for me, I'm guessing at least 3 previously unanounced games that they have saved for E3, God of War 3, Fat Princess, some new indie game that will be rad because Sony likes supporting indie studios. Theres also that Tri Ace game thats being made right now too.. End of Eternity, I forget if thats the japanese or english name though. but that also looks good.

Microsoft had a really good press conference this year, but a lot of the stuff they talked about is also coming to the PS3, but it has more of an impact because you saw it there first. No doubt Metal Gear Solid: Rising is coming to PS3 as well, because the reps never said it was exclusive, and they definately would have said it if it was.

I think Sony is going to have a really strong E3 presentation this year as well because they have a ton of great games coming our way early next year and late this year. What its really starting to come down to is that finally developers are starting to take full advantage of the PS3s development tools and make games that use all of the PS3s potential, it didnt make as much sense in the last few years because the PS3 playerbase was growing pretty slowly compared to the PS2 and other consoles, but now is a great time for a giant expensive game or 3 to be launched. Its going to rock!! =D

Microsoft had a great presentation, and that crazy ass motion capture stuff is INSANE! But I think Sony is going to have an even better conference! I hope so anyways, because if its good, then that means even more games! So lets just be optimistic :D   Also... Nintendo is going to have a pretty not great Press conference.. unless they have a ton of suprises lined up.

EDIT: Also, Disgaea 4 please please please!?!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#26  Edited By AgentJ

Hrm, to tell you the truth it will be hard for either sony or nintendo to top what Microsoft did. I suppose if Sony announced they had obtained exclusive rights to GTA V, and did some sort of major overhaul to Home that made people actually want to use it, on top of some of the stuff we know or expect to be there, it could be possible. Unlikely though.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

im willing to bet Sony will just bring out graphs... they always stall with graphs... that and their going to talk about their handhelds and how their 2nd place in a 2  man race with the DS. Sony is kinda limping

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AgentJ
    @trophyhunter said:
    " I was not impressed by 360 at all spent way to much time one the Beatles odst is just more halo alan wake looked like a slightly better alone in the dark I'm in the usa so I don't care about the UK getting netflixwho the hell would listen to the radio on the 360 if you have it on your probability playing a game  the only thing that had anything at all was the new metal gear game oh yeah have fun with your little boy fondling simulator hahaha "
    Lessee, a giantbomb user with the name "trophy hunter" disparraging things that happened at a microsoft press conference. Am i suprised? no.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By trophyhunter
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    " I was not impressed by 360 at all spent way to much time one the Beatles odst is just more halo alan wake looked like a slightly better alone in the dark I'm in the usa so I don't care about the UK getting netflixwho the hell would listen to the radio on the 360 if you have it on your probability playing a game  the only thing that had anything at all was the new metal gear game oh yeah have fun with your little boy fondling simulator hahaha "
    Lessee, a giantbomb user with the name "trophy hunter" disparraging things that happened at a microsoft press conference. Am i suprised? no.
    "
    so I can't say anything I hated the other too press conferences too
    and  I invite you to explain to me anything that I said that was not true and the fondling was a joke get over yourself just because I don't like alone in the dark 2 does not mean I'm a bad person
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @slinky6 said:
    " Halo on PS3 "
    Hahahaha, the Ronald McDonald avatar made it even better.

And if they announce any new info on either the Jak or Sly Cooper franchise for the PS3, I am sold.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By trophyhunter
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    "
    @slinky6 said:
    " Halo on PS3 "
    Hahahaha, the Ronald McDonald avatar made it even better.And if they announce any new info on either the Jak or Sly Cooper franchise for the PS3, I am sold. "
    I'll guarantee you some sly
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By m1k3

i hope sony does show something to one up MS. But in reality i dont think they can show anything that will. i hope they show me something that would validate my ps3 being my main system and my 360 is for w/e

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    "
    @slinky6 said:
    " Halo on PS3 "
    Hahahaha, the Ronald McDonald avatar made it even better.And if they announce any new info on either the Jak or Sly Cooper franchise for the PS3, I am sold. "
    I'll guarantee you some sly "
    Just with Sucker Punch doing inFamous, it seems like a tight fight but if there is some, I would be way into it.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By trophyhunter
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @RHCPfan24 said:
    "
    @slinky6 said:
    " Halo on PS3 "
    I'll guarantee you some sly "
    Just with Sucker Punch doing inFamous, it seems like a tight fight but if there is some, I would be way into it. "
    well maybe not right away but I will guarantee you that is their next game then infamous 2
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

Eh, it was okay. I was expecting a bit more.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By ishotmrburns

Project Trico.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgentJ
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    so I can't say anything I hated the other too press conferences too and  I invite you to explain to me anything that I said that was not true and the fondling was a joke get over yourself just because I don't like alone in the dark 2 does not mean I'm a bad person "
    i never said that you said anything untrue, but Bill O'Reilly says a lot of things that are true. That doesnt mean he doesn't twist those true things into something almost unrecognizable. That includes leaving out pertiant information as well as presenting opinion on something that one hasn't actually experienced, like Sean Hannity on Waterboarding. I hope you are seeing a pattern here. Also, I never said you were a bad person, but i will say that you are a bit of a fanboy.
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @trophyhunter: An announcement would be nice, yes. Probably summer-late 2010 release. I would be fine with that.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By zombie2011
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    so I can't say anything I hated the other too press conferences too and  I invite you to explain to me anything that I said that was not true "
    The Beetles game looks sweet plus paul and ringo on stage was pretty cool and it only lasted like 10 mins. The video store has instant movies now instead of long downloads. Not to mention there entire conference was just games, they had no dumb graphs or sales figure charts. You can say all you want about MS's conference but it was awesome. 

P.S. WE FINALLY KNOW WHAT THE BOTTOM OF AN AVATARS FUCKING SHOE LOOKS LIKE. Lets see Sony top that. BAM!!!!!!!
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By penguindust

I liked the Microsoft conference but they left plenty of room for improvement by Nintendo and Sony.  Actually, anyone following Ubisoft will now have a much easier time impressing us.  Thank's Ubisoft for lowering the bar for everyone! 

I think if Sony just gets out of the way of their software line up and shows trailers and on-stage gameplay of all the great things they have scheduled for this season, they could do very well.  Don't get bogged down in charts or anything boring.  Keep focused on the games.  Please, leave the HOME stuff to a minimum.  

Do all that and add one or two surprise titles for 2010 and I'll be very impressed by their outing tomorrow.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By trophyhunter
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    so I can't say anything I hated the other too press conferences too and  I invite you to explain to me anything that I said that was not true and the fondling was a joke get over yourself just because I don't like alone in the dark 2 does not mean I'm a bad person "
    i never said that you said anything untrue, but Bill O'Reilly says a lot of things that are true. That doesnt mean he doesn't twist those true things into something almost unrecognizable. That includes leaving out pertiant information as well as presenting opinion on something that one hasn't actually experienced, like Sean Hannity on Waterboarding. I hope you are seeing a pattern here. Also, I never said you were a bad person, but i will say that you are a bit of a fanboy.
    "
    well technically I was not being a fanboy because I was just saying I didn't like those things.
    If I had said those things suck and these things are so much better than I'd be fanboy.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gonna be hard for Sony. I don't really think announcing a new PSP is going to create much buzz. Let's some for some new exclusives.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ineedaname
    @TripMasterMunky: Considering everyone already knows about it, this alone I believe they'd have to at least change how much they were going to devote time wise to this considering everyone now knows what it looks like, although I do believe they'll have some aces up their sleeves, they've not leaked that much big news, so I think they might have a few awesome games, I'm just hoping for a non sequel fest. Most people play it too safe these days =|
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AgentJ
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    @AgentJ said:
    "
    @trophyhunter said:
    "
    "
    well technically I was not being a fanboy because I was just saying I didn't like those things.If I had said those things suck and these things are so much better than I'd be fanboy. "
    I dont think there is such a technical term for a fanboy, since it's a flexible and ever-changing term, but whatever you say. Frankly, in my opinion, saying that something is a cat when it is obviously a dog when it suits an individuals goals or ideals could be called fanboyism. 
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BigBoss1911

They've said they have alot of surprises,and they are also having the longest conference,so you never know.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#46  Edited By Sooperspy

Not being a fanboy but Sony's conference will probably suck compared to Microsoft's
    Left 4 Dead, Crackdown, Splinter Cell, and Rock Band Beatles. No way they will beat Microsofts

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pibo47
    @ponyslayer said:
    " Persona 5, done. "
    This man is right. lol.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Al3xand3r

All they need is some new Trico footage, some of the same games Microsoft had (FFXIII etc) and some more first/2nd party exclusives like God of War 3. Then they'll be about equal, imo. They'll have pretty strong PSP showings too if they include Army of Two, the Metal Gear game, Little Big Planet, etc. Maybe put an EyeToy on display to take a jab @ MS saying they've had it already. Sure, it aint as refined, but it's more or less able for similar types of games, especially when it comes to non-games like that Milo thing... Hardly deep motion gameplay, it was all about the AI.

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By randiolo

take the motion camera from it and their aint much that Microsoft showed. some predictable sequels.. that's all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.