How to transfer saves after Yellow Light

#1 Posted by hermes (1471 posts) -

I guess the title is pretty self explanatory.

I got the yellow light issue on my PS3. I am planning to get a new one, but I don't want to loose all my content (especially my saves). Is there an easy way to recover and transfer them to the new one?

Thanks

PS: I am assuming the long way is: 1) Take out the old disk from the old PS3; 2) Put the old disk on the new PS3; 3) Backup on a usb drive; 4) Put the new disk on the new PS3 and 5) Restore the backup. I am looking for an easier way, if available.

#2 Edited by Zidd (1845 posts) -

you can't transfer hard disks from one ps3 to another. if the system doesn't boot you are screwed. Luckily when it happened to me I had PS+ and all my saves were stored in the cloud storage except for portal 2 and mortal kombat (happened 3 days after those came out.)

#3 Edited by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -

Fix the PS3, back it up and transfer to the new PS3. Look for someone local on Craigslist that would do the repair for you. As said above you can't transfer a hard drive from PS3 to PS3, unfortunately...

#4 Posted by AtomicEdge (309 posts) -

I heard somewhere that putting a drive from one PS3 into another would give you the option to format, or backup and then format. Was this person smoking something?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.