Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Hurray! The PSN is back online!... an update already? Damn...

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Edited By Phoenix654

After almost a full month, Sony has re-instated everyone's favorite part of using the Playstation 3 online: Mandatory Updates.  Oh, how I had missed them... the hours I wiled away unable to do anything but watch a progress bar fill.  Thank goodness they got it working again... *sniff*

This has been a truly trying time, not only for Sony fans, but everyone who owns a PS3.  I, for one, am thankful it is finally drawing to a close and it leads us, the users, to ask a few very important questions.  Questions like, "Can this happen again?", "Can this happen to other systems?" and, perhaps most importantly, "What do I get in return for continuing to use this system?"  The answers, in order are Yes, Yes and we'll get right back to you on that.  In the meantime, enjoy a full month of Playstation Plus... Hopefully you'll subscribe to it too... we really need the money.

Also, what does this do to E3 for Sony?  I can only imagine a re-enactment of Jack Tretton's last month at work.  Picture the scene... A lone desk.  A sleeping figure, his head in his arms.  The phone CONSTANTLY ringing, all 10 lines lit up.  The racking, deep sobs of anguish and terror.  He lifts his head, the eyes that haven't properly slept in 20 days.  The unshaven face, the unwashed shirt, the look of utter, UTTER defeat on the man's face as he reads a quickly scrawled note, "Yeah, I'm not coming this year... You're on your own for the press conference.  Best Regards, Kevin Butler."  Behind him, pandemonium as PR people run backwards and forwards as though their heads are on fire*, desperately trying to draft a press release with the scant information they are allowed to release to the public.  Finally he stands up, composes himself and says, through the exhaustion and pain, "2011.  The year of the Sony Playstation... this year our... I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!!!"  Security and men in white coats run out to stop him stabbing himself with a desk ornament.  Kaz Hirai pats him amicably on the back, "You tried your best Jack... We take care of our own.  Go get some rest, I can handle it this year."

All kidding aside, I'm glad things are getting back to normal.  Hopefully Sony can ascend from this dreadful pit back up to the level they once held, just weeks ago.  It's gonna take a lot of free stuff though.  A lot.

*I wouldn't mind seeing some of them actually on fire.

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Phoenix654

After almost a full month, Sony has re-instated everyone's favorite part of using the Playstation 3 online: Mandatory Updates.  Oh, how I had missed them... the hours I wiled away unable to do anything but watch a progress bar fill.  Thank goodness they got it working again... *sniff*

This has been a truly trying time, not only for Sony fans, but everyone who owns a PS3.  I, for one, am thankful it is finally drawing to a close and it leads us, the users, to ask a few very important questions.  Questions like, "Can this happen again?", "Can this happen to other systems?" and, perhaps most importantly, "What do I get in return for continuing to use this system?"  The answers, in order are Yes, Yes and we'll get right back to you on that.  In the meantime, enjoy a full month of Playstation Plus... Hopefully you'll subscribe to it too... we really need the money.

Also, what does this do to E3 for Sony?  I can only imagine a re-enactment of Jack Tretton's last month at work.  Picture the scene... A lone desk.  A sleeping figure, his head in his arms.  The phone CONSTANTLY ringing, all 10 lines lit up.  The racking, deep sobs of anguish and terror.  He lifts his head, the eyes that haven't properly slept in 20 days.  The unshaven face, the unwashed shirt, the look of utter, UTTER defeat on the man's face as he reads a quickly scrawled note, "Yeah, I'm not coming this year... You're on your own for the press conference.  Best Regards, Kevin Butler."  Behind him, pandemonium as PR people run backwards and forwards as though their heads are on fire*, desperately trying to draft a press release with the scant information they are allowed to release to the public.  Finally he stands up, composes himself and says, through the exhaustion and pain, "2011.  The year of the Sony Playstation... this year our... I CAN'T DO THIS ANYMORE!!!"  Security and men in white coats run out to stop him stabbing himself with a desk ornament.  Kaz Hirai pats him amicably on the back, "You tried your best Jack... We take care of our own.  Go get some rest, I can handle it this year."

All kidding aside, I'm glad things are getting back to normal.  Hopefully Sony can ascend from this dreadful pit back up to the level they once held, just weeks ago.  It's gonna take a lot of free stuff though.  A lot.

*I wouldn't mind seeing some of them actually on fire.

Tanikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Tanikaze

I'm curious whether it bothers you more that PSN was down or that your personal information was possibly stolen. I think I've seen more drama about the former.

Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Leafhopper

>Psn goes down due to a SECURITY BREACH.
    >Doesn't expect a Playstation Update when PSN comes back up.
    Are you serious? I hope that was sarcasm. And if it was disregard this post.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I'm no Sony hater, but I am really looking forward to Microsoft ripping Sony a new one at E3 over this whole PSN debacle. Let the corny jokes and snide comments begin! For Sony's sake, I can only hope that PSN is at 100% by the time E3 begins.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By Soap
    @MB said:
    I'm no Sony hater, but I am really looking forward to Microsoft ripping Sony a new one at E3 over this whole PSN debacle. Let the corny jokes and snide comments begin! For Sony's sake, I can only hope that PSN is at 100% by the time E3 begins.
    To go the full circle of awesome however Microsoft would need to get hacked while they are all busy at E3, hopefully just after the Microsoft conference and before the Sony one 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By l4wd0g
    @MB said:
    I don't know if they will. They've stayed pretty quiet, and I think it could be because they know it could happen to them.
    brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By brocool

its 5 am, randomly woke up and found out that its back up! Excellent!

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jack268

Still not online here in Sweden :<

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By tebbit
    @Jack268 said:
    Or New Zealand! God damn you, SCEE!
    Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phoenix654
    @Leafhopper: Well spotted, it was, in fact, sarcasm.  It's just my way of commenting on how quickly we go back to complaining about things the second they are fixed.
    @Jack268: My sympathies, Sweedish sir.
    @Tebbit: Also a bummer for you down under... I'm so sorry for that one as well.
    Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Phoenix654
    @Tanikaze: Yeah, the personal info thing is a bitch, but if it's Anonymous, I think they weren't out to steal info, just to humble Sony.  If it wasn't Anonymous, I think my info on the PSN was so far out of date as to make no difference (I've moved since, I've changed passwords regularly, I used a non personal email address, etc).  So while I understand that's probably a bigger issue for most people, I think I've protected myself pretty well and besides, I'm 1 out of 77,000,000 accounts.  What are the odds?
    Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Surkov
    @MB said:

I hope that happens too, just for the irony. Seeing the creator of Windows and Internet Explorer chastise another company about online security would be great. lol
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i played it, it's good. o well on the online. it's great to play black ops again. i actually also think that they improved the play because there was less lag i thought.

Avatar image for thebaddestofthemall
    TheBaddestOfThemAll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hacking is still an evil thing to do. Don't they realize that even if they view Sony as an evil entity there are real people behind it who have kids to raise, bills to pay, addictions to feed... the list goes on.
    Would you go inside a store, bring down their system and steal peoples information in real life? Sure, bad people do but hackers tend to believe it is just because they gain approval on the net and hacking for them is easy to do. This does not mean you should do it.

Anyway I'm waiting for the remarks you people speak of when E3 comes! Nintendo + MS dissing Sony is good for a few laughs. 

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vodun
    @Jack268 said:
    The patch is...just not PSN =P
    Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phoenix654
    @TheBaddestOfThemAll: Totally agree, hacking is way wrong.  But most of that information about us is on the internet SOMEWHERE and the vast majority of that is also easily hackable.  Think of how many websites you've put info like that into.  This is a really bad security breach for Sony to have had, but I don't know how much damage it's ultimately done until we start getting reports about mass credit card fraud or fishing scams.
    Leafhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Leafhopper

PSN is up for me. In all honesty though I wasn't missing it too much because I was playing games on Steam lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.