Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

i left my ps3 on for a whole day

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
    imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By imayellowfellow

these things are so damn quiet! i left it on to download something and totally forgot it was on until i saw my controller light blinking cause it was running out of battery

behavior like this is gonna break the damn thing!

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Randolph

Yeah, best to turn the controller off when setting up for a long download.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Emilio
    Randolph said:
    "Yeah, best to turn the controller off when setting up for a long download."
    But if he did turn it off, how long do you think it would take him to notice the PS3 was still on?
    Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Black_Raven

Your PS3 wont overheat downloading something...

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Subway

Yeah not even a 360 will overheat downloading something, playing something is a different story though.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Black_Raven
    Subway said:
    "Yeah not even a 360 will overheat downloading something, playing something is a different story though."
    Your right about that. I've only owned one 360 and i think its a shame how poorly made the console is, the games are great but the hardware is so incredibly unreliable that i didn't think it was worth getting a new one. I know about 5 people who had 360s and they all broke within months. I would be amazed if anyone still had a working launch 360, or at least one that has never had problems. I got mine at launch and it lasted over 2 years without a single problem, then out of nowhere i got the rrod.
    Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Roger_Klotz

Ive left my ps3 on for long periods of time and never had it overheat. Unlike my 360 which will overheat if played for more than 5-6 hours.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Emilio
    Levio91 said:
    "My friend leaves his ps3 on months at a time he always folds at home."
    He must have a pretty electric bill.
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Subway
    Black_Raven said:
    "Subway said:
    "Yeah not even a 360 will overheat downloading something, playing something is a different story though."
    Your right about that. I've only owned one 360 and i think its a shame how poorly made the console is, the games are great but the hardware is so incredibly unreliable that i didn't think it was worth getting a new one. I know about 5 people who had 360s and they all broke within months. I would be amazed if anyone still had a working launch 360, or at least one that has never had problems. I got mine at launch and it lasted over 2 years without a single problem, then out of nowhere i got the rrod."
    My first 360 has lasted for over a year, my second one has been going for about six months so far. From my experience, I honestly haven't seen the 360 breaking as easy as people say, a couple of buddies from school have had 360's for two years with no problems at all. I actually don't know anyone, that I can think of who has gotten RROD.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't think it wold beak. they are meant to be left on for long amounts of time. As long as it doesn't overheat.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By PenguinNerd

Yeah mine is almost always on.  Never had a problem *knock on wood*

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

*Knocks on wood for you.*   =P

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru

I used to leave my PS3 on 24/7 to fold@home but gave it a break two days every month. Now I keep it going for only 12 hours a day due to advice from someone who had their PS3 fans die on him and he used to keep his PS3 on folding@home 24/7 unless there was a thunderstorm. (I think he had it for two years).

So, unless you have your PS3 in a really-closed space, leaving it on for a day shouldn't hurt it at all.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By giyanks22
    Emilio said:
    "Levio91 said:
    "My friend leaves his ps3 on months at a time he always folds at home."
    He must have a pretty electric bill."
    lol...I left my 360 on Mass Effect for two days, and it was fine, because the room is so cold. I once left my PS2 on for one month though, and it was fine. I left my PC running a game on for three weeks and it was fine.
    Avatar image for deactivated-612140337177a
    deactivated-612140337177a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah when not crunching some heavy numbers in some complex game they're barely spinning those damn fans :P That reminds me tho, Sony really needs an auto off feature on those PS3 controllers. I can't count how often I've left the room, forgotten the PS3 was on and come back to a near dead battery.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Emilio

Man, you guys are insane! INSANE! Even if I had a PS3, I'd never keep it on that long just for that program.

LooM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LooM

to be fair against the 360, where people says it overheats in x amount of hours.. Normally, a temp. won't slightly increase over 6 hours.. Something must've ticked it off at the certain point of time... a cpu/hardware, reaches the optimal temp, rather fast depending on fan etc, and then it remains stable unless the entire rooms temp increases slightly.. you digg?

I've done the same thing several times with my launch 60gb, it never shown any indication of being in less condition, and I never had any troubles with the ps3.. the design is pretty wellthought through when it comes to a good airflow.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mourne
    giyanks22 said:
    "lol...I left my 360 on Mass Effect for two days, and it was fine, because the room is so cold. I once left my PS2 on for one month though, and it was fine. I left my PC running a game on for three weeks and it was fine."
    Given that I work from my computer, I never turn it off. The only time I restart it is if A) it's needed for an install, B) I need to rid myself of any annoying adware, or C) if the power goes out. I never shut it down; running smooth forever now. I've never even bothered with standby or hibernate mode--if you let it, your computer can go a really, really long time without failing.
    yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By yellownumber5
    LooM said:
    "to be fair against the 360, where people says it overheats in x amount of hours.. Normally, a temp. won't slightly increase over 6 hours.. Something must've ticked it off at the certain point of time... a cpu/hardware, reaches the optimal temp, rather fast depending on fan etc, and then it remains stable unless the entire rooms temp increases slightly.. you digg?

I've done the same thing several times with my launch 60gb, it never shown any indication of being in less condition, and I never had any troubles with the ps3.. the design is pretty wellthought through when it comes to a good airflow."
    Yeah the PS3 has plenty good airflow.  Some already on this post have said they left on on for weeks or a month.  I have left it on for maybe at most two weeks straight.  If you are not playing games and just have it at idle or Folding you are not going to overheat this thing.  I have on a hot summers day have had the thing overheat (on Oblivion?, but it could've been a glitch).  Playing Wipeout right now the thing gets uncomfortably warm.  My house is dusty because I smoke.  I wish Sony would let me give it into repairs just so they can clean the thing.  They wont.  I tried this once with my PSP because dust gets in through the cracks and gets on the inside of the screen.  Sony Doesn't do that type of thing.

Someone correct me, but I hear its actually healthier for circutry to not be turned on and off, just because the state betwen cooling in an off state to warming up when on can creat molecular fractures that eventually age the circutry.
    Video_Tycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Video_Tycoon
    Subway said:
    "Black_Raven said:
    "Subway said:
    Your right about that. I've only owned one 360 and i think its a shame how poorly made the console is, the games are great but the hardware is so incredibly unreliable that i didn't think it was worth getting a new one. I know about 5 people who had 360s and they all broke within months. I would be amazed if anyone still had a working launch 360, or at least one that has never had problems. I got mine at launch and it lasted over 2 years without a single problem, then out of nowhere i got the rrod."
    My first 360 has lasted for over a year, my second one has been going for about six months so far. From my experience, I honestly haven't seen the 360 breaking as easy as people say, a couple of buddies from school have had 360's for two years with no problems at all. I actually don't know anyone, that I can think of who has gotten RROD."
    Umm...my NES has been working for the last...hmm...20 years?  And my 360 is a paperweight within a year...Of course, it doesn't break as easy as people say!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.