Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is BLU-ray a particularly fragile medium?

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By EvilDingo

I just now wanted to play some Guitar Hero WT and put the disc in - but to my surprise it didn't register. After a few try's and examining of the disc, I notice a barely visible crack just at the center hole of the disc.

The crack doesn't even appear to reach into the "data" part of the disc - it pretty much stays in the transparent part of the the center.

This is most likely caused be the case the game is in, and by (I guess) pulling it out of it without pushing the center-release "button" in the case.

I'm pretty surprised though, because: 
    A. I take pretty good care of my games. They hardly ever get any scratches at all - So I don't consider myself to be hard on them.
    B. I've never experienced anything like this on any of my other consoles.
    C. I would never expect the game-case of any game to even be able to damage the disc it's holding.

So, I'm left to wonder... Is BLU-ray a particularly fragile medium?

Anyway... this sucks! I guess I have to buy another copy of the game.

I guess it a lesson. Always use the release-thingy in the case...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

Future posters correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression blu-ray was less likely to scratch?

All the same, from touch the discs feel as sturdy as a DVD or CD. But to answer your question: I don't know. Sorry that happened though. :(

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EvilDingo
    get2sammyb said:
    "Future posters correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression blu-ray was less likely to scratch?"
    Well, just to avoid any confusion. it is in fact a crack and not a scratch.
    drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By drakesfortune

I've had a couple bluray movies from netfix come cracked (both times were during winter when it was -1 or -10 degrees outside here in WI).  That hasn't happened since the winter end of 07 though.  My understanding was that bluray disks were thicker than dvd's and postal sorting machines were cracking them, and that they thinned the disks.  I could be wrong, but modern disks seem thinner and more flexible to me. 

I have yet to have one of my personal bluray disks crack on me.  I pulled rock band in and out of my PS3 and the Rock Band case at least twice a week for a year and never had any issue, and likewise I've been doing it a couple times a week with rock band 2 since that came out.  I'm very carefull when I put them in their case, and when I pull them out though.  I try to put all of the pressure on the circle nubs in the case when I pull it out, and then I put my fingers as close as possible to the nubs when I put it in to reduce the chance of cracking. 

As for scratches, I still have yet to see a bluray disk with a scratch on it, and I've been getting 1 or 2 a week from netflix since they started renting them plus I have a six year old with all of the lego games, and he's not careful with the disks and they still look mint.  You really have to try hard to scratch a bluray disk.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Bluray and Durabus

1# by design the blue laser and distance of the data layer inks are very close to the surface on blurays so much so more then dvds, hd dvds, cds...ect
    2# because of this design choice blu rays are initially very easy to scratch and even the most miniscule scratches will ruin them making them unable to play.
    3# The bluray constorium initially wanted to put them in ram cartridges like those used in archival dvds and cds ala

4# Bulky as you can see the blu ray consotrium went to TDK to create a coating which they named Durabus which makes blu ray discs very resistant to scratches and such though i do not know the physical properties of cracks i would think that if a crack at all ever affected the data layer it would ruin the disc.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

Blu-ray discs are scratch resistant and more more surdy and reliable then DVD's. However cracks can happen to any disc if they are not handled properly.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Vinchenzo

PS3 games are the only ones at my GameStop that are never scratched, and only sometimes carry a few smudges. I wish every disc was as sturdy as a Blu-Ray.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Vinchenzo said:
    "PS3 games are the only ones at my GameStop that are never scratched, and only sometimes carry a few smudges. I wish every disc was as sturdy as a Blu-Ray."
    I remember being shocked the first time I rented a PS3 game and it was still in pristine condition.

RIP_Icewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By RIP_Icewood

Im sorry to hear that happened to ya man but Im wondering, why did you not press the center eject button in the game case before removing? Theirs obviously resistance to let you know that isn't the correct way to take it out.  

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "Bluray and Durabus

1# by design the blue laser and distance of the data layer inks are very close to the surface on blurays so much so more then dvds, hd dvds, cds...ect
    2# because of this design choice blu rays are initially very easy to scratch and even the most miniscule scratches will ruin them making them unable to play.
    3# The bluray constorium initially wanted to put them in ram cartridges like those used in archival dvds and cds ala

4# Bulky as you can see the blu ray consotrium went to TDK to create a coating which they named Durabus which makes blu ray discs very resistant to scratches and such though i do not know the physical properties of cracks i would think that if a crack at all ever affected the data layer it would ruin the disc.
    "
    The resistant coating makes the very durable, and can't be scratched easily.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By CenturionCajun

Indeed, in my six months working at Gamestop I've only ever seen a single defective PS3 game. Even then it was only because it had a strange spiderweb look to it. No actual scratches. I've also never had a return of a used one that didn't work.

This is in contrast to 360 and PS2 games. A majority of the ones I see for those are scratched up so bad as to probably be unplayable.

For some reason Wii games are almost never scratched either. I guess people arn't playing them enough to hurt them.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

The disc surface has excellent scratch resistant properties, but a crack is deadly, that should be obvious to anyone. Not even the indestructible sweetcorn derived compound will save it from that.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By StaticFalconar
    EvilDingo said:
    "I just now wanted to play some Guitar Hero WT and put the disc in - but to my surprise it didn't register. After a few try's and examining of the disc, I notice a barely visible crack just at the center hole of the disc.
    The crack doesn't even appear to reach into the "data" part of the disc - it pretty much stays in the transparent part of the the center.

This is most likely caused be the case the game is in, and by (I guess) pulling it out of it without pushing the center-release "button" in the case.

I'm pretty surprised though, because: 
    A. I take pretty good care of my games. They hardly ever get any scratches at all - So I don't consider myself to be hard on them.
    B. I've never experienced anything like this on any of my other consoles.
    C. I would never expect the game-case of any game to even be able to damage the disc it's holding.

So, I'm left to wonder... Is BLU-ray a particularly fragile medium?

Anyway... this sucks! I guess I have to buy another copy of the game.

I guess it a lesson. Always use the release-thingy in the case...
    "
    no blu ray is not a fragile medium, and taking a game out of its case without pressing the center button is not taking good care of your games. You can apply the same logic to dvd in dvd players or cds in cd players.

cracks and scratches are two different things buddy.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

When the blu ray consortium the first few members who actually invented the format first did they made certain design choices including making the data ink layer closer to the surface thus mkaing a blu ray without a cartridge or durabus coating so easily scratchable that one single scratch makes them unusable, Because the data layer is so close any scratch will affect the data layer, DVDS are much like a blu ray without durabus but because the data ink layer like cd's is further from the serface then they can withstand a certain amount of scratches but blurays having the data layer so close makes it so any lil scratch on a bluray without durabus pretty much unplayable.

WHICH is why when they first proposed the spec they intended on puting blurays in cartridges much like DVD-ROM archives so they could not be scratched *think of UMD's* Instead they went to TDK whom then created a coating called Durabus which made it so we didn't have to have bulky cartridges. Durabus could be put on any disc actually but! is one of the reasons blurays still cost so much.

The following was in reply Liutenant whom didn't like to read my entire post, And Liquid prince whom quoted my reply and said the coating makes them very durable...which really doesn't make sense since thats exactly what i said but i decided to give a history on blu ray so that people didn't think that blurays by design all of a sudden were scratch resistant blurays are not scratch resistant by design and infact are flawed in this way durabus an added on layer after spec is what makes them durable, But its still just a coating and cracks will likely kill your blu ray cause the datalayer is still so close to the surface therefor any crack will likely breach the data ink layer.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilDingo
    StaticFalconar said:
    "cracks and scratches are two different things buddy. "
    It is? I wasn't aware...

StaticFalconar said:
    "... and taking a game out of its case without pressing the center button is not taking good care of your games. "
    I wouldn't expect anyone to define it as being particularly hard on them either though.

But I'm actually only reasoning to try and figure out what DID happen.
    I'm not aware that I pulled game out of it's case WITHOUT pushing, since I don't believe I usually do... But it's the only circumstance, I can imagine causing this particular crack.

For all I know the crack has been there all along - only smaller and more in-noticeable - and over time it could have gotten gradually worse.

EDIT:
    @ WilliamRLBaker
    It's very educational, thanks

Just last week I had the opportunity to repeat some of that information... And thus seem all knowledgeable on the subject :-)
    azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By azteris
    EvilDingo said:

StaticFalconar said:
    "... and taking a game out of its case without pressing the center button is not taking good care of your games. "
    I wouldn't expect anyone to define it as being particularly hard on them either though.

I would personally define it as being unnecessarily hard on them.
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EvilDingo
    Azteris said:
    "EvilDingo said:

StaticFalconar said:

I would personally define it as being unnecessarily hard on them.
    "
    Yeah, I'm proven wrong.
    Some people obviously DO consider it being particularly hard on them :-)
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hexpane

buttons are for pressing

t3h learningz on GB are gud!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Linkyshinks

I long for carts to be brought back, big chunky Neo Geo style ones :(

I kiss mine before I stick them in the cart slot lol.

LoZone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LoZone

FAIL,  you must have done something major to the disc because they have a protective coating.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EvilDingo
    LoZone said:
    "FAIL,  you must have done something major to the disc because they have a protective coating."
    No Caption Provided
    sigh... 

I wonder if people actually read what I've written previously. 
    The disc has not been scratched. 
    There is no visible damage to the coating.

I guess as an ATEMPT at document the damage, I've tried photographing it with my mobile.

Not particularly detailed picture though.

Believe me... I tried taking the mobile closer to the damage, but it couldn't focus at all and the result was a even more blurry picture than this.

As mentioned earlier the crack is only visible at the very center, before the coating starts.

- Also the vertical lines are the refection of my ceiling...
    NOT a lot of scratches as a result of abuse.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LiquidPrince

That must just mean that the disc was cracked prior to your purchase or physically weakened.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.