Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is changing the thermal paste on a PS3 worth it? (topic is 5 years old)

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By onarum

My PS3 has over 2 years of use now, I've seen countless posts in several different forums about how this is the time it's recommended to change the thermal paste in order to prevent the dreaded Ylod from happening, or at least making it less prone to happen (actually it's known fact that for any kind of cpu, gpu or what have you it's recommended to change the compound every 3 years or so).

Yesterday my ps3 froze on my while playing Just Cause 2, now I know that's not a major problem, I had it freeze on me on other games as well sporadically, plus right after that I played 3 hours straight of GT5 without a hitch, but that got me thinking that maybe I should consider doing this in order to be safe(r).

So what do you fellow ps3 veterans think about this? is it worth it? I'm terrified of disassembling the thing, even though I am pretty seasoned when it comes to building computers, consoles are a whole different beast.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I heard thermal paste is all it takes.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By onarum
    @Axxol said:

" I heard thermal paste is all it takes. "

what I meant was is it worth it to risk screw something up on the disassemble/reassembly process to change the thermal compound? does it provide an actual benefit?

I actually have some Noctua NT-H1 here, great thermal paste, just don't know if it's worth the effort/risk.

I also have an CECHH01, the first 40Gig model, I heard they started using a better compound on this model, don't know if that can be trusted though.
    Darkraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Darkraven

tried googling for a tutorial? that should give you a basic understanding of the risk and work itll take which my guess says both will be next to none :p

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

How much experience do you have disassembling things like this? I can only assume that you know what you're doing if you already have some of this "thermal paste" lying around.  

I know I wouldn't take mine apart, but I also have no experience taking things like that apart. 

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EndlessObsidian

If you feel comfortable taking the PS3 apart, applying the paste and putting it back together I say go for it. The warranty on your machine is prolly up anyway and if your machine is already starting to overheat and freeze whats the worst that could happen. My friend changed the paste after he thought his machine was starting to overheat and he thinks that it helped. 

edit: have you poked around the Sony boards? You will probably find more reliable answers there.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By McGhee

Thermal paste you say? Before you try that why not drain all the water out of this coffee maker I got here?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " How much experience do you have disassembling things like this? I can only assume that you know what you're doing if you already have some of this "thermal paste" lying around.   I know I wouldn't take mine apart, but I also have no experience taking things like that apart.  "
    I only have thermal paste because it's a requirement for CPU cooling, and I build a lot of computers, as for taking stuff like the ps3 apart no, I don't have actually, also it's hard to find a good tutorial, it seems the several ps3 hardware revisions all have different ways to disassemble, I only found one video that was about my own model, but the guy went just as far as removing the blue ray drive... 

Yeah, the more I think about this the more it looks not worth it at all.
    Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Catarrhal
    @onarum: I successfully repaired my PS3 approximately fourteen months ago, and I would simply ask you this: is your PS3 positioned vertically or horizontally? If it's horizontal, I wouldn't bother with the operation. Not unless you are certain there's a problem. This freeze you experienced during Just Cause 2 is more likely due to the game being saddled with "open world jank," if I may quote Ryan Davis.
    onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By onarum
    @EndlessObsidian said:
    " If you feel comfortable taking the PS3 apart, applying the paste and putting it back together I say go for it. The warranty on your machine is prolly up anyway and if your machine is already starting to overheat and freeze whats the worst that could happen. My friend changed the paste after he thought his machine was starting to overheat and he thinks that it helped.  edit: have you poked around the Sony boards? You will probably find more reliable answers there. "
    Yeah that's the thing, i wouldn't feel comfortable at all, but yeah I'll take a look at the Sony boards to make a final decision on this.

@Catarrhal said:
    " @onarum: I successfully repaired my PS3 approximately fourteen months ago, and I would simply ask you this: is your PS3 positioned vertically or horizontally? If it's horizontal, I wouldn't bother with the operation. Not unless you are certain there's a problem. This freeze you experienced during Just Cause 2 is more likely due to the game being saddled with "open world jank," if I may quote Ryan Davis. "
    My baby has been horizontal for all it's life time, only because I read somewhere a long time ago that it was proved that while horizontal it ran cooler, but yeah you're probably right, I'll at least try to find a comprehensive tutorial on it, if I do I'll just go ahead and change it to be safe, otherwise I don't think I'll risk it.
    pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By pwnasaurus

isn't thermal paste cancerous? don't eat it.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Catarrhal
    @onarum: Again, unless the thing's already busted, I don't feel it's necessary. Keep in mind, this is a potentially life-threatening operation (i.e. the life of the console). If you do decide to go through with it, I recommend this here video series.
    afields101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By afields101

The other week I completely disassembled my old 80gig PS3 cleaned it completely of dust, (the fan was horrible) continued maintenance with cleaning off old cpu and gpu thermal paste and applied fresh paste. I have never had an issue with my PS3 ever, I just thought that with 10 years on my shelf it could use a little love. I still play it daily and immediately after the maintenance I noticed that it runs cooler and quieter. I highly recommend doing this to all of your consoles that are no longer under warranty, hell I even keep my original Xbox in great shape.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.