Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is now a good time to buy a PS3?

• 65 results
    C172Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By C172Driver

I have been toying with idea for a while, and I was thinking that I can still get a rediculous amount of money for my Wii on eBay. So should I sell my Wii and get the 80 GB PS3 this fall?

Thanks

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Febuary 2009

KILLZONE 2 Baby, and then get LBP its only 39.99 on PSN

and then your set...

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By thelastguy

Yeah I think you should.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DarkLegend

Sorry buddy, it couldn't be worst. Final Fantasy XIII was just announced to head to the 360 and have been losing a lot of exclusive lately. It is the best way to get a blu ray player though.

C172Driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By C172Driver
    DarkLegend said:
    "Sorry buddy, it couldn't be worst. Final Fantasy XIII was just announced to head to the 360 and have been losing a lot of exclusive lately. It is the best way to get a blu ray player though."

Just so happens that I do not give a rats ass about FFXIII.
    shimbibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By shimbibby

yea , true about the 360 getting alot of the ps3 exclusives, and at 300$ thats pretty enticing. But for some reason, I just feel theres so much more to come for the ps3. I dont know, its just a great system and definitely worth it. I still find its such a hard ass choice between that and the 360...theyre both soo good ahhhhh.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By somesthetic

When you could get one with solid backwards compatibility would have been the time to buy a PS3 if you ask me.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shocker

It is a good time to buy one. I'm really starting to think about it as well.

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By irishjohn

Honestly, I just cleared MGS4 and now I can't think why I even own one.  I have a 360 too, and there's nothing exclusive to the PS3 I'm bothered about right now.  Killzone 2 doesn't interest me at all.  My PS3 has become a Blu-Ray player, more or less.  Unless you NEED to play Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, or one of the other limited number of exclusives, I wouldn't bother.

DarkLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkLegend

Well then.. go for it!

Tridrakious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By Tridrakious

I say buy one now, cuz the current 80 gigs have backwards compatibility with most PS2 games, the 80 gig coming this fall won't. It's the 40 gig, I'm not sure but I don't even think it has PS1 BC.

blakninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By blakninja

Yea dude you should get one since this fall its going to be loaded with hopefully amazing games, and more to come next spring.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Lava

I think it would be a great time for you to buy a PS3! I have had mine for about 8 months and love it. Especially with games like Resistance 2 and Little Big Planet coming out, it's a great time to have one!

Note: I don't care about Final Fantasy either.

Oh yeah, the Ratchet and Clank series is exclusive to Sony systems, makes it even more worth it.

THE_END

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By THE_END

Go with the 60 gig PS3..... it has near perfect backwards compatibility due to the emotion engine.  The emotion engine was removed from all PS3 to cut back on manufacturer costs so they could lower the price for consumers.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Tanuki

I've been toying with the idea too... But I'm still not sure.  It feels like they come out with a new SKU every month.  It just depends whether or not the models are going to get better or worse, while you either wait for them to get better and/or more exclusives.  As it stands for me right now, I only really want Resistance, and MAYBE Ratchet and Clank.  I'd say count up all the games you want, if you can list 5 "MUST HAVE" games, I'd go for it.  I'm going to wait until Killzone 2 is released unless Sony decides to trash Backwards Compatibility entirely... than I'll get one right away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
    deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tanuki said:
    "I've been toying with the idea too... But I'm still not sure.  It feels like they come out with a new SKU every month.  It just depends whether or not the models are going to get better or worse, while you either wait for them to get better and/or more exclusives.  As it stands for me right now, I only really want Resistance, and MAYBE Ratchet and Clank.  I'd say count up all the games you want, if you can list 5 "MUST HAVE" games, I'd go for it.  I'm going to wait until Killzone 2 is released unless Sony decides to trash Backwards Compatibility entirely... than I'll get one right away."

From what it seems, you will be getting a PS3 sooner or later, why not sooner and enjoy the games? Don't worry about backward compatibility; A) its not that important, and B) it will be added later on via software patch.

MUST HAVE games currently, as well as for the future, from the top of my head;

Resistance: Fall of Man (hella fun online, may be kind of old now since its almost 2 years old though)
    Uncharted (my PS3 GOTY of 07, amazing graphics, incredibly fun SP, just a great game all around)
    Ratchet & Clank Future (beaten it more then 10 times, its really fun with all the crazy weapons and upgrades and whatnot, just a great game in general)
    Warhawk (amazing online game, one of the best out there IMO, vehicles, planes, on foot madness, its truly chaos, and they are always adding new stuff to the game, since release they have added 2 new vehicles, 2 new maps, 2 new weapons, and 2 new game modes, and there is more to come.)
    Heavenly Sword (probably for rent, but still a really amazing game, movie like story and cinamtics)
    Tons of great PSN games (SSHD, EDS, PAIN, etc)
    LittleBigPlanet (indiscribable, just go watch all the videos and read all the articles, the gaming industry is hyped for this game)
    Killzone 2 (holy shit graphics, really sweet multiplayer, co-op, and just a great FPS)
    MAG (256 players on a massive battlfield with squads and command leaders, as well as vehicles. Going to be a really huge game)
    Resistance 2 (what can I say, 2 single player campaigns, 8 player co-op, 60 player multiplayer, and really cool community features)
    God of War 3 (know nothing about it yet, but if its a sequal to the amazing GoW1 and 2, then it will be something to buy)
    Motorstorm 2 (my favorite racing franchise ever)

Those are some games, I could go more indepth about each and all the info and whatnot on why its worth buying, but I dont want to type too much lol. Trust me though PS3 is well worth it, especially if your going to use it to store all your music and other entertainment (I have a 500GB HDD in it, more then 30GB of music, shit loads of photos, and almost every video in the PS Store of trailers of games and whatnot), plus you can even stream youtube videos onto your PS3, so thats great in terms of entertainment too.

So yeah there it is, you should definately get a PS3, because what it looks like, from what little you seem to know about the system and its games, it still looks like you will be picking up one sooner or later even without any other info, you can PM me if you want to know more on a game or anything though.
    Foil_Charizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Foil_Charizard

The 80 gig ps3 is what I'm waiting for, well that and LBP, I realllly want to play that game.

Avatar image for monty_the_great
    Monty_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Monty_The_Great

anytime is a good time to buy one of the current gen consoles. I say don't sell your Wii, and save your money and buy the PS3. The PS3 is great, but don't over look the 360 also, it is a great gaming machine.

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

Yeah you definitely should. 80GB at $399 is an awesome price.

HunterBriley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HunterBriley

If you want 'full' backwards compatibility, grab an 80GB now.  From what I gathered from E3 the $399 80GB is just like the current 40's only with a larger drive.

Avatar image for deactivated-57c23600813c8
    deactivated-57c23600813c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In a word

YES

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vindo

It really depends if you have a 360 or not. The 360 is a definite buy over the PS3. They have pretty much the same games except most are better on the 360 with a stable online system and Achievements across the board. Not to mention 360 versions of multiplatform games are the main sku while PS3 versions are usually ports.

Now if you already have a 360 then I say; why not get a PS3? I just got a PS3 as a matter of fact. I bought a 20gb PS3 on ebay for $340 and am going to hop on MGS4 right now. I got a 160gb hdd on newegg and the 20gb version has complete backwards compatibility unlike the 80gb version which has emulation. If you care about b/c then I say go on ebay and get a 20gb and then upgrade the hard drive.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vindo said:
    "It really depends if you have a 360 or not. The 360 is a definite buy over the PS3. They have pretty much the same games except most are better on the 360 with a stable online system and Achievements across the board. Not to mention 360 versions of multiplatform games are the main sku while PS3 versions are usually ports.

Now if you already have a 360 then I say; why not get a PS3? I just got a PS3 as a matter of fact. I bought a 20gb PS3 on ebay for $340 and am going to hop on MGS4 right now. I got a 160gb hdd on newegg and the 20gb version has complete backwards compatibility unlike the 80gb version which has emulation. If you care about b/c then I say go on ebay and get a 20gb and then upgrade the hard drive.
    "

Have to disagree with that, I think if you have a 360, by 09 it will be a perfect time to trade it in for a PS3. There is just not enough content left, other then Gears 2 and Fable 2, mainly, its just not worth owning over the PS3. In 08 for example, there are way more PS3 big titles then there is on 360, and that will continue in 09 and 2010. If you DONT have either, or if you do have a 360, PS3 is a worthy buy for sure. Especially for people without either, I mean they dont care about games from 2006 that dont have trophies, they care about the here and now, and lots of games are getting trophies, mandatory soon (09), so thats not an issue, and niether is multiplat games, PSN is great and has no problem when it comes to 'stability', and note that many games are now starting to make PS3 the lead platform now that they know the system more, and its easier to port from PS3 to 360 then vice versa. So IMO the points you make dont quite apply to someone who has yet to buy a console.

PS- Love your avatar, totally caught my eye so I had to go to your profile to see the full shot, lol.
    ReCklessNin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ReCklessNin

Most definitely man. The PS3 has an amazing game lineup this year and the next and with the new 80gb price drop, it's worth it. Only thing you'll lose with the new 80gb model is the Backwards compatibility  with PS2 games, but that,s no biggie.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By epic_pets

In about a month or two

seraph973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By seraph973

depends on what type of game you want to play. you obviously got your wii for a reason. the ps3 offers a whole different experience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seraph973 said:
    "depends on what type of game you want to play. you obviously got your wii for a reason. the ps3 offers a whole different experience.
    "

Yeah, if he likes casual fun games, PSN has a lot of really nice stuff for that, if he likes really story driven games PS3 has a lot of exclusive games for that (MGS4, Uncharted, HS, etc), if he likes online shooters, PS3 has a lot of those (RFOM, KZ2, Socom, WH, MAG, etc), and most importantly of all, if he likes gaming, PS3 has the ultimate game for that; LittleBigPlanet baby. :D

And this isn't even counting all the great multiplat games.
    Monki_CM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Monki_CM

anytime is a good time.. the question is that wut do u like in ps3.. and is it out?
    like im waiting for the home application as well as some games wich are coming later next year.. so i know when to get my one..

Vindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vindo
    Sentry said:
    "Vindo said:
    "It really depends if you have a 360 or not. The 360 is a definite buy over the PS3. They have pretty much the same games except most are better on the 360 with a stable online system and Achievements across the board. Not to mention 360 versions of multiplatform games are the main sku while PS3 versions are usually ports.

"

Have to disagree with that, I think if you have a 360, by 09 it will be a perfect time to trade it in for a PS3. There is just not enough content left, other then Gears 2 and Fable 2, mainly, its just not worth owning over the PS3. In 08 for example, there are way more PS3 big titles then there is on 360, and that will continue in 09 and 2010. If you DONT have either, or if you do have a 360, PS3 is a worthy buy for sure. Especially for people without either, I mean they dont care about games from 2006 that dont have trophies, they care about the here and now, and lots of games are getting trophies, mandatory soon (09), so thats not an issue, and niether is multiplat games, PSN is great and has no problem when it comes to 'stability', and note that many games are now starting to make PS3 the lead platform now that they know the system more, and its easier to port from PS3 to 360 then vice versa. So IMO the points you make dont quite apply to someone who has yet to buy a console.

PS- Love your avatar, totally caught my eye so I had to go to your profile to see the full shot, lol.
    "

Yeah I used to love T&C Surf when I was little but I could never surf. I would always die every time.

Trade in your 360 for a PS3? Blasphemy! I like my PS3 and all but I just don't see that happening. I don't really know the 2009 line up for any consoles but I am sure all have several good titles. Aside from those select exclusives though are all of the multiplatform games which the majority are much better on 360. I used to work in the video game industry and I saw how the PS3 titles are treated like red-headed step children. It isn't really devs faults though it is Sony's. They just don't help the dev process like MS does.

On the 360 all games... ALL games have achievements. If there are games that don't then achievements make no sense because then they can't be trusted. The multiplat games are also usually more polished with exceptions from great devs like Infinity Ward. Also if you are a RPG fan the 360 is the place to be. There is already a good amount of RPGs and now FF13 is guaranteed and Star Ocean 4 is exclusive.

PS3 is a great console to get for the exclusives. The 360 is a great console for everything else.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By KillaMaStA

You should totally buy a ps3.

DrPepper1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DrPepper1990

Yes, you should buy a ps3. With all the current game titles and the great games coming this year and the next now couldn't be a better time to buy a ps3.

DeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DeeJay

Depends what games you like and what systems you own.

If you own a 360, then don't bother. PS3 and 360 have a pretty similar catalog of  games (besides the games that came out on 360 before the PS3 came out), the only real difference being 1st party created titles.

If you don't have a 360, then look at the exclusive titles for PS3 and 360 and decide what you want more. I suppose PS3 has an edge as its also a Blu-Ray player, but if your looking for something that plays...y'know...games, its really all about the exclusives.

Either way I would say sell your Wii. Your probably won't be needing one anytime soon.

Yit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33  Edited By Yit

I want LBP for PC. DO IT!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yit said:
    "I want LBP for PC. DO IT!"
    BAHAHA!! Never gonna happen, it goes against everything MM has been saying throughout the process of the game. :P

You can play it for only 460 something bucks though. :D

XD
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By keyhunter

You should NOT sell your wii, because a used wii probably goes for 100 bucks average, and then get an XBOX 360 in addition to it, because they are pretty much the greatest thing since fresh air.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL.

Fresh Air > Xbox 360.

Toriko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By Toriko

Buying a PS3 or 360 at this time is prime

CrimsonAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CrimsonAngel

What's with all the Microsoft Trool's trying to paint a Negative picture at one of the best times to have a PS3.

A year ago every port was better on the 360, they where losing exclusives left and right, the 360 had a better line up and so on. Now that was a year ago.
    So far they have Gained Exclusives such as Bioshock, Masseffect, Left4Dead, Multi plats over all with only a few exceptions looks the same and of course depending one what ones personal preference is the line-up is both great in there respective ways.

Now if i could only get one i would personally get the PS3 over the 360 when it comes to the exclusive line up, but that is unfair because DISGEA3 is so far up on my list of games i have to play no matter what that even if the 360 came out with the most awesome game ever made i would not care.

Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Major

LittleBigPlanet. Enough said

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I couldn't agree more.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#41  Edited By Valkyr

It has a great library now matching the 360 one, a lot of multiplatform games and some great first and second party exclusives. It is a Blu-Ray player too and it will play the most part of your ps2/ps1 library so you can have only one Sony console in your living room

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By insanegamer

yes it is a good time to buy a PS3

psr388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By psr388

don't do it, glupor

DeadWeezel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DeadWeezel
    DarkLegend said:
    "Sorry buddy, it couldn't be worst. Final Fantasy XIII was just announced to head to the 360 and have been losing a lot of exclusive lately. It is the best way to get a blu ray player though."
    Some of us still hate FF games, you know.  Not always the buying motivation.
    Dissolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dissolve
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "Febuary 2009

KILLZONE 2 Baby, and then get LBP its only 39.99 on PSN

and then your set..."
    LittleBigPlanet is downloadable? I didn't know that.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Hitchenson
    I sold my Wii for a PS3 :)

Than again i SERIOUSLY needed MGS4! xD
    LuffyUzumaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By LuffyUzumaki

joking right. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Demyx
    CrimsonAngel said:
    "What's with all the Microsoft Trool's trying to paint a Negative picture at one of the best times to have a PS3.

A year ago every port was better on the 360, they where losing exclusives left and right, the 360 had a better line up and so on. Now that was a year ago.
    So far they have Gained Exclusives such as Bioshock, Masseffect, Left4Dead, Multi plats over all with only a few exceptions looks the same and of course depending one what ones personal preference is the line-up is both great in there respective ways.

Now if i could only get one i would personally get the PS3 over the 360 when it comes to the exclusive line up, but that is unfair because DISGEA3 is so far up on my list of games i have to play no matter what that even if the 360 came out with the most awesome game ever made i would not care.
    "

Mass Effect?
    Thats not coming to the PS3 is it?
    spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By spiredcrescent

if your into blue ray at all, and don't really care about fable, gears, halo, and other 360 exclusives, go ahead and grab a ps3.  but either is better than a wii at this point

MrTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MrTaco

Ok, so, I didn't read through all the posts in this thread but heres how I'm looking at it right now.

I own neither a 360 or PS3 currently.  I have a Wii, but that lost its novelty fast.  I will be getting either a 360 or PS3 soon, so I'm looking at upcoming exclusives coming out.  For me, the upcoming exclusives that I personally am interested are:

PS3:
    Killzone 2
    Resistance 2
    Gran Turismo 5
    Socom
    M.A.G.

360:
    Gears of War 2

I'm not a fan of RPG's, so that cuts out a few 360 exclusives, not to mention I could care less about Final Fantasy 13 (which everyone seems to act like its not coming out on PS3 anymore and its so tragic...).  I also don't really care about stuff like Little Big Planet for PS3, so my list might be larger to someone else.

So, as you can see...I'm pretty weighed heavily towards the PS3.  Even if I cut out every other game on the PS3 list except Socom, I would still take it over Gears 2...as I used to be a huge Socom fan.  Plus I look back on the games already out for PS3...Metal Gear Solid 4, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction (not to mention the upcoming Quest for Booty), and more.  Even some of the Playstation Network Games, such as EchoChrome and Fl0w I plan on picking up.  Now I'm sure some of the 360 guys could come up with a list of great games already out for 360 I could get, but cut out any of the RPGs and anything with Halo on it...I'm not sure if there are a ton of EXCLUSIVES that they have that I would want.  I really believe 2008 and 2009 will be the turnaround years for the PS3...so, I plan on picking one up so I can be apart of it :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.