It would be cool if Sony updated the PS3 software like Microsoft.

• 96 results
#1 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

I mean, sure, it's functional, but doesn't the look of a new interface excite you? Microsoft has done a great job with the Xbox, adding functionality and making it generally more attractive. Sony, on the other hand, has done very little. I mean, we still have to deal with the "spinning icons" when we push the PS button during a game.

Sure, people are going to say "Well, Microsoft is a software company yadeedadeeda". That's no excuse. Sony makes billions of dollars each year, so surely they can hire some software guys and make a decent interface. At least give PlayStation fans something to be excited about.

#2 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

Actualy Sony is down 32 million

#3 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

I'm one of the people who quite likes the XMB so I'm not too bothered about changing the way it works or looks. I would however like the chance to customise what shows up in there, for example I never need the photo or music tabs so I'd be happier if I could just hide them away.

#4 Posted by FCKSNAP (2299 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

/thread

#5 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -

I'm pretty happy with the XMB. Everything is just right there all the time in case I need to do something.

#6 Posted by ESREVER (2691 posts) -

No. Never! I hated the Dashboard changes to the 360. The XMB is perfect for me. The new Dashboard update sort of reminds me of the XMB, so I'll probably start using my Xbox360 more. Maybe...

#7 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4504 posts) -

@Vestigial_Man said:

I'm one of the people who quite likes the XMB so I'm not too bothered about changing the way it works or looks. I would however like the chance to customise what shows up in there, for example I never need the photo or music tabs so I'd be happier if I could just hide them away.

This 9001%. The XMB is my type of interface. Simple. No extra bells and whistles that, while sometimes can be nice, aren't actually needed. If I could get rid of a few icons here and there, I think I would fall in love with it.

#8 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

I know where everything is and there are no ads being thrown in my face, I'm happy.

#9 Posted by N7 (3588 posts) -
@BabyChooChoo: Now that you mention, man that would be sweet. It would be great if there was some option you get by holding down the PSButton where you can select a "Customize XMB" option, where you go through and pick things that you want to be there, like when you build a playlist for your music.

I hate hyping myself up. :(
#10 Posted by Branthog (5562 posts) -

The Sony interface is just fine. Why improve something that is already fairly streamlined? Unfortunately, the more they've updated it, the more crap they've managed to clutter it with. That's the only real problem.

As for Microsoft? Their interface keeps getting uglier and more cluttered with fucking advertising for nasty fucking shit like Axe and Strident and shitty rom-coms. Look at their most recent update - a bunch of idiotic "Metro" style updates. Oooh, a bunch of squares . . . to put more advertising in. How glorious.

Worse, both interfaces are fucking top notch offenders in wasting screen real-estate. Just look at all the vertical space that goes wasted with the PS3's interface.

I really hope both step up their game in the next generation.

#11 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

The XMB is perfectly designed IMO. it's easy to navigate and the spinning icons are just the images loading and it takes a second. There is no reason for needless changes.

#12 Edited by Levius (1131 posts) -

The XMB is better than anything Microsoft has done IMO, it feels great to have everything at hand and not have to dig through menus .

The PSN store could do with some work though.

#13 Posted by Soap (3592 posts) -

This is probably going to make me sound like a PS3 fanboy but here goes....

The XMB doesn't need updating, it works exactly how it needs to.

#14 Posted by Marz (5652 posts) -

I actually like the XMB interface moreso than the xbox dashboard.

#15 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I like the change of the dashboard every year or the slight changes they make. I'm in the preview program and while navigating is still a learning process it is much nicer than the previous ones.

#16 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

They're both poor from a design point of view. The new 360 dashboard exists to only look pretty and shove advertising down your throat.

#17 Posted by huntad (1939 posts) -

The XMB is fast and functional. Also, themes make it look pretty different aesthetically. I don't think changing something for the sake of changing it is a good idea - at least when it comes to interfaces.

#18 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I like the XMB. The 360 interface felt alien and difficult to navigate for me...but this was a while ago.

I don't own a 360.

#19 Posted by Sogeman (871 posts) -

MS made the dash worse in every iteration. I wish it was like the XMB.

#20 Posted by Aetheldod (3579 posts) -

Hell no.... the XMB works fast and wonderfull , unlike clutterville xbox (I have both so no fanboism here)

#21 Posted by shootermcclay (219 posts) -

XMB-Lover!!!

#22 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

@Branthog said:

The Sony interface is just fine. Why improve something that is already fairly streamlined? Unfortunately, the more they've updated it, the more crap they've managed to clutter it with. That's the only real problem.

As for Microsoft? Their interface keeps getting uglier and more cluttered with fucking advertising for nasty fucking shit like Axe and Strident and shitty rom-coms. Look at their most recent update - a bunch of idiotic "Metro" style updates. Oooh, a bunch of squares . . . to put more advertising in. How glorious.

Worse, both interfaces are fucking top notch offenders in wasting screen real-estate. Just look at all the vertical space that goes wasted with the PS3's interface. I really hope both step up their game in the next generation.

The XMB vertical space waste just leaves you room to enjoy your background

#23 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

I like the XMB how it is with a few small gripes. The Dashboard? It's been a trainwreck for a while. Thankfully, the "mini dashboard" you get when you press the guide is great! (but it's just the blades, so why did we ever get RID of the blades??)

#24 Posted by Ninja_Welshman (485 posts) -

Never expirenced dashboard so could not comment. Have no problems with XMB the way it is. There a bit of clutter but at least it's not ads. I would hate that.

#25 Posted by Grillbar (1828 posts) -

@Jayross said:

I mean, sure, it's functional, but doesn't the look of a new interface excite you? Microsoft has done a great job with the Xbox, adding functionality and making it generally more attractive. Sony, on the other hand, has done very little. I mean, we still have to deal with the "spinning icons" when we push the PS button during a game. Sure, people are going to say "Well, Microsoft is a software company yadeedadeeda". That's no excuse. Sony makes billions of dollars each year, so surely they can hire some software guys and make a decent interface. At least give PlayStation fans something to be excited about.

well there is the dynamic theme and so on it changes the items and so on.

but thats not really the point your making.

i personally like the ps3's xmb more then xbox but one thing i would love to see them do is fixing the trophy sync. its not done great and if you have alot and compare with others theres often an error and that has been going on for years and that just one of the few things

#26 Posted by oatz (1103 posts) -

The XMB is fantastic.

#27 Posted by IBurningStar (2173 posts) -

It seems that pretty much all of us agree that it is fine the way it is. Why fix what isn't broken? Especially this late into the console generation.

#28 Posted by CommonReason (109 posts) -

I sold my 360 before the major overhaul of the dashboard. Seeing the new interface every once and a while reminds me that I'm not missing much. I think that the original blades were a good design choice for Microsoft and they really screwed it up with making everything kinect and avatar friendly.

I've been using the XMB ever since I ditched my 360 and I'm glad they are only adding features and not overhauling the whole thing. I think the design is quiet minimal and organized. I do agree that it could use some optimization for speed and loading though.

#29 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

XMB is still better. We could use new consoles soon, though.

#30 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@Dagbiker
Whops. Thats million bucks.
#31 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

I thought this wa going to be about how on xbox it takes 5 minutes to download stuff and on ps2 it takes 5 years

#32 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

As long as you can play your game, message your friends, check your trophies and change your settings who cares. It is laid out in a logical and concise manner that organizes the various functions of the system.

#33 Posted by Kasswara (178 posts) -

I'd like an optional remodeling.

#34 Posted by Chop (1997 posts) -

The XMB is so so so much better than the dashboard, so I'm glad they don't fiddle around with it. 

#35 Edited by CptBedlam (4451 posts) -

@Sooty said:

They're both poor from a design point of view. The new 360 dashboard exists to only look pretty and shove advertising down your throat.

Exactly.

I hate all these ads. I'm in the dashboard beta and it's fucking ridiculous ... especially considering I'm already paying for my gold membership.

I made a thread about it but no one seemed to care:

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-live/92-1404/the-new-dashboard-and-ads/35-523827/?page=last#reply_form

I actually WISH that xbox live had a functional and simplistic interface such as the XMB. It's not perfect but Sony doesn't try to shove as many ads as possible in my face.

#36 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

The PS3's XMB is really good, I really see no way they could improve it.

#37 Posted by tourgen (4500 posts) -

It seems to work pretty well as-is. I think the Xbox dash has actually gotten steadily worse.

#38 Posted by Revan_NL (341 posts) -

Visually, the XMB is just fine, but I wouldn't mind some performance updates. The XMB can be very slow at times, especially when I'm trying to delete saves (it's a nightmare to delete a save of game starting with a W, it takes forever to load).

#39 Edited by Ujio (565 posts) -

@Vorbis said:

I know where everything is and there are no ads being thrown in my face, I'm happy.

Agreed. However, I would like to see one small change: Move the XMB to the lower part of the screen akin to your taskbar on your PC. You're able to scroll through the different options and when you want to launch something it pops up a list with the different options. I find its placement kind of obnoxious right in the middle of the screen all the time as it detracts a bit from my current theme or wallpaper. Sure, it's not that big of a deal, but an added functionality like that could be useful to people who prefer it out of the way when they're not using it.

#40 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

Hell no.... the XMB works fast and wonderfull , unlike clutterville xbox (I have both so no fanboism here)

shit I own all 3 that must make me even less of a fanboy right?

#41 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

I really dont get the XMB vs NXE debate. The NXE is basically the XMB turned vertical. Seriously. Go up to change sections and right to move within that section. I also never got people bitching about ads. I turn on my Xbox, there's the main bar with ads for whatever. I go up once and I'm at my stuff with no ads. There are two bars out of the 7 or 8 on the NXE that have ads and a good chunk of the ads are for games, anyway.

That said, I have no problem with XMB and actually agree that it's quite functional. What I want Sony to work on is how awful everything about PSN is. I am sure online play is fine, but the store is awful, downloading updates takes forever and then once I get said updates, they seem to install at the same pace the elderly fornicate at.

#42 Posted by MikkaQ (10288 posts) -

I find the XMB is getting clumsier and clumsier the more they add to it. It was fine when the console didn't do as much, but as they add more features they need to be better organized.

#43 Posted by RE_Player1 (7560 posts) -

@oatz said:

The XMB is fantastic.

I agree.

#44 Posted by ma_rc_01 (364 posts) -

Yeah, I always felt there weren't enough ads on the XMB, they should probably get on that.

#45 Posted by awesomeusername (4184 posts) -
@Vestigial_Man: Why hasn't Sony hired you you damn genius!?!
#46 Posted by Baillie (4168 posts) -

Well, constructive, thanks fanboys.

Being from the UK, there are basically ZERO ads, so other than that, what can you guys say other than that? :\

#47 Edited by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

They could at least improve the speed of the whole thing. Getting to your friend's list, dealing with game invites, and sending out chat invites is the worst fucking experience ever. I hate using the XMB when I'm in a game, it's so damn slow. The 360 dashboard may not be to some people's tastes but the guide that pops up in game via the guide button is easily superior.

@BionicRadd said:

I really dont get the XMB vs NXE debate. The NXE is basically the XMB turned vertical. Seriously. Go up to change sections and right to move within that section. I also never got people bitching about ads. I turn on my Xbox, there's the main bar with ads for whatever. I go up once and I'm at my stuff with no ads. There are two bars out of the 7 or 8 on the NXE that have ads and a good chunk of the ads are for games, anyway.

That said, I have no problem with XMB and actually agree that it's quite functional. What I want Sony to work on is how awful everything about PSN is. I am sure online play is fine, but the store is awful, downloading updates takes forever and then once I get said updates, they seem to install at the same pace the elderly fornicate at.

That's no longer the case with the upcoming dashboard refresh. It's pretty different, some people will end up shitting on it like always but at least the thing is very snappy. I like it.

#48 Posted by Spoonman671 (4635 posts) -

No thanks.  XMB is fast and simple.

#49 Posted by mariokart64fan (366 posts) -

the wii interface is the best ,

no advertisments no juggling through a bunch of menus to get to where you want , its all in one spot

xmb is good it just to cluttered with features i do not use and a pain in the next to watch a movie i have to scroll over every time,

the xbox 360s is garbage, a bunch of ads and nonsense, that slow me down every time , get rid of the ads and then id be happy but until they clean it u p no just no xmb is better then xbox360 by a mile

#50 Posted by Addfwyn (1922 posts) -

I'm in the 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it' camp. One of the things I like about the playstation brand is once it seems to get something right (XMB, Dual Shock controllers) it sticks with it. Nothing needed changing with dual shocks, so they didn't change them. XMB really does everything it needs to pretty smoothly, with no more ads than a small ticker in the corner. Really nothing I'd do to change it except maybe being able to turn off sections of the XMB I never use. They are over in the corner anyway though where they don't get in the way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.