Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Just Got A PS3 - Surprised by underwhelming graphic quality

• 71 results
    Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

LOL what a idiot...

CommonReason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By CommonReason

@Zelyre: Some TVs allow you to switch the display to "Just Scan" or equivalent so that you get the full picture output beyond 16:9. You just have to know to turn it on.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By algertman

I give this 2 out of 10 on the Yoshinori Ono scale of trolling.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#54  Edited By Justin258

@nohthink said:

With that said, yeah, it is a half decade old console. And like other comments said, most developers don't use 1080p despite the fact PS3 supports it(360 doesn't).

Misconception. The 360 does support 1080P and can display games in 1080P, though most games op for 720P and then uprez to 1080P.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By kishinfoulux

There's definitely a difference with HDMI cables. That being said I've never really been wowed by PS3 graphics that often, if at all.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By HydraHam

OP has to be trolling.

And lol @ complaining about shitty looking colors and low res when playing a HD console on a HDTV using cables that produce what? 480i? Go to monoprice or amazon and buy a $1 HDMI. What did you expect op? you bought a $300 HD console, not a super nintendo, it' needs proper cables.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#57  Edited By Kyle

@believer258 said:

@nohthink said:

With that said, yeah, it is a half decade old console. And like other comments said, most developers don't use 1080p despite the fact PS3 supports it(360 doesn't).

Misconception. The 360 does support 1080P and can display games in 1080P, though most games op for 720P and then uprez to 1080P.

No, the 360 renders all games in 720 and uprezes to 1080 where as the PS3 can display "true" 1080, but lacks the ability to natively uprez the way the 360 can. This is why every 360 game supports 1080 display, but almost all PS3 games can only be displayed in 720. However, if you compare a game running in 1080 on the 360 to a game running in 1080 on the PS3, the difference is very clear.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By CL60

You guys are jerks. This guy is right. The PS3 looks beyond awful without HDMI. Like 10x worse than 360 without HDMI.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59  Edited By Justin258

@Kyle said:

@believer258 said:

@nohthink said:

No, the 360 renders all games in 720 and uprezes to 1080 where as the PS3 can display "true" 1080, but lacks the ability to natively uprez the way the 360 can. This is why every 360 game supports 1080 display, but almost all PS3 games can only be displayed in 720. However, if you compare a game running in 1080 on the 360 to a game running in 1080 on the PS3, the difference is very clear.

I know this, I said as much in my post.

But the 360 still has the ability to natively play games in 1080P, it just doesn't happen often. The PS3 can as well, it just doesn't happen often either. In fact, the PS3 always displays in the native resolution of whatever game is in question, which is usually 720P.

Keep in mind the phrase "can happen", not "does happen".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p#Video_game_consoles

NBA Street Homecourt on 360 does display in native 1080P, if you need proof of a game that does it.

wicked_wumpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By wicked_wumpus
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By mordukai

@soulfulsoul said:

@Jace said:

>Buying a half-decade old console

>Not using HDMI

Subtle trolling?

No. This HD nonsense makes no sense to me whatsoever! It's a cable that transfers information. Why on earth does a different cable create a better picture?! I'm used to older consoles that you just plug in and go, and (for their time) they always looked great no matter what you connected tthem to! I'm playing Batman Arkham City and Rayman Origins. Rayman looks okay, but Batman just doesn't compare to the gameplay videos I've seen at all!

Just get and HDMI switch with a second HDMI cable. It'll also help if you tweak some of the display settings. Go to System Settings>DisplaySettings and switch you'r Color Correction Reduction, Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White, Deep Color Output to On. Then switch your RGP Full Range to Full.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By mikey87144

@soulfulsoul: If you're coming off a PC then it will look significantly worse. If you want to see the system running at it's best buy some PS3 exclusives. Even 360 fanboys will not argue that PS3 only games look better than all other console games.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By cstrang

@Mordukai said:

Just get and HDMI switch with a second HDMI cable. It'll also help if you tweak some of the display settings. Go to System Settings>DisplaySettings and switch you'r Color Correction Reduction, Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White, Deep Color Output to On. Then switch your RGP Full Range to Full.

This is why I follow you. Helpful little tid-bits of info that don't necessarily impact or help me, but make me a better person by hearing.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By hatking

I got this sick RF cord you can use.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By RIDEBIRD

It's gonna look bad whatever you do, but it will look a lot better with HDMI. If you're used to PC, you're fucked.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By copycatzen
    DespoticDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By DespoticDave

Buy an HDMI cable for 1080p resolution, or at least buy a component cable for 720p/1080i. Just to let you know, a no named $6 HDMI cable will perform just as well as a $80 Monster cable. I bring this up because it sounds like some clueless Best Buy employee could convince you to spend this kind of money in order to get the best picture possible. HDMI is an all digital signal; either it works, or doesn't. Stores like Best Buy pull this crap because HDMI cables are cheap to produce; then they put a huge markup on it and sell it for a ridiculous profit. They don't have much of a choice since they don't make much--if any--profit on electronics. Gotta push those accessories!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By superfriend

Of course the PS3 will output lowres crap if you use the non hd capable old-ass composite cables that come with it. They are the lowest common denominator, which means almost any old or new TV will have a hook for them. Seriously though, get HDMI or at least component cables (if those even exist for PS3) and play some of the better looking stuff like Uncharted or Ratchet on a nice big screen TV. It still looks amazing, no matter what the fanboys will try to tell you. Sure, most games will only display in 720p, but they still look okay, even compared to modern PC graphics.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You were playing in 4:3 without an HD cable?

I mean..

No words.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Hizang

HDMI that bitch!

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#71  Edited By Sackmanjones

Man the first time I saw this I thought he was joking... Apparently I was wrong

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.