Just got me a PS3!

#1 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -

So I just bought me a PS3 today.

I was just wondering if there are somethings new users should do/know about.

And game recommendations are also appreciated. No shooters please. I'm already thinking of buying Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Burnout and Tekken 6.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19155 posts) -

That's great.  I'd probably get 3D Dot Game Heroes, looks fun.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (20561 posts) -

The PSN profile avatars suck...that's all I've got at the moment.

#4 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4969 posts) -

Be careful with PS3 firmware updates.  The chance of it fucking up your PS3 is around 40%.  Just don't look at it funny when it's updating.  No stink eye, no cold shoulder, don't blow on it.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Congratz! i got mine last month (cuz of RDR), and the PS3 is just something else ! 

@Abyssfull said:

" The PSN profile avatars suck...that's all I've got at the moment. "
agreed :P
#6 Posted by MancombSeepgood (313 posts) -

As for game recommendations, I'd say Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Yakuza 3, Infamous... And Metal Gear Solid 4. Be careful with that last one though, if you haven't played the others, it will make literally no sense to you.

#7 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

Infamous is the first game recommendation that comes to mind. Of course I would say MGS4, but you have to have played the previous games in the series. You said no shooters, but Uncharted 2 is also a great game that anyone with a PS3 shouldn't miss out on.

#8 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

uncharted 1+2. you said no shooters but its more action adventure and its a must have. demons souls of course but only if you hate yourself. yakuza 3 (i need to pick this up but no where has it). 3d dot heros is a pretty fun game.

#9 Edited by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Demon's Souls GO!

#10 Posted by AnAmericanPatriot (141 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
" Be careful with PS3 firmware updates.  The chance of it fucking up your PS3 is around 40%.  Just don't look at it funny when it's updating.  No stink eye, no cold shoulder, don't blow on it. "
THIS. HOLY fuck. Every time YOU UPDATE IT feels like YOU'RE playing Russian Roulette. BEYOND that it's great! Welcome TO THE WORLD of PS3!
#11 Posted by wealllikepie (756 posts) -

no shooters so heavy rain if youre into that sort of thing (i suggest looking at vids and stuff of it before making the decision ;) ) 
Also, i'd recommend motorstorm pacific rift that game is also quite fun, and god of war 3 if you want a hack and slash.

#12 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@AnAmericanPatriot said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
" Be careful with PS3 firmware updates.  The chance of it fucking up your PS3 is around 40%.  Just don't look at it funny when it's updating.  No stink eye, no cold shoulder, don't blow on it. "
THIS. HOLY fuck. Every time YOU UPDATE IT feels like YOU'RE playing Russian Roulette. BEYOND that it's great! Welcome TO THE WORLD of PS3! "
seriously? shut the fuck up. you're annoying as fuck to read
#13 Posted by Yummylee (20561 posts) -
@AnAmericanPatriot said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
THIS. HOLY fuck. Every time YOU UPDATE IT feels like YOU'RE playing Russian Roulette. BEYOND that it's great! Welcome TO THE WORLD of PS3! "
Please...just...STOP THAT!
#14 Posted by JJOR64 (18783 posts) -

Can't go wrong with Little Big Planet.

#15 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -
@shadows_kill:  Yea I'll definitely get Uncharted 2 cause that seems like a game I'd enjoy.

And thanks for all the tips so far. I'll be cautious when updating firmwares then I guess ;)
#16 Edited by blazerx9x (648 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:

" Can't go wrong with Little Big Planet. "

agreed

oh, and i just remembered something, littlebigplanet 2 is just right around the corner, and playstation move will have a nice variety of games
#17 Posted by Spoonman671 (4371 posts) -

Try God of War 3 if you like to murder.

Modnation Racers came out recently and is thoroughly awesome.

Valkyria Chronicles is the first turn-based strategy RPG to do anything innovative in the last 10 or so years.

PSN Store games:
All of the Pixeljunk games are great, except for Pixeljunk Racers.

If you like Breakout then give Shatter a try.  It's only $8.

Fat Princess is for cake-loving fat kids.

Wipeout HD for arcade racing fans.

#18 Posted by TheDoubleJ (204 posts) -

valkyria chronicles is a good rts
#19 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

Just bought my first bunch of PS3 games yesterday.  

Personal PS3 Collection

1. Valkyria Chronicles

This is the game I wanted most for the PS3. The unique style, combined with the unique gameplay mechanics, made the package incredibly appealing. In retrospect, I probably should have bought this one new in order to support the studio that made it (the game didn't sell well) but either way I'm happy I've got it. This will be the first game I actually play.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

This is the first game that I really wanted for the PS3, and for a long time it was the only one. I've always been interested in the plight of Solid Snake, and will get to this as soon as I play 2 and 3.

3. Heavy Rain

I am in the process of playing Indigo Prophecy at this moment. As soon as I saw this game at PAX 09 last year, I knew I wanted this game. I was initially skeptical when the game was first announced, because all the focus was on the graphical prowess, making the term "uncanny valley" a term frequently connected with the current gen. Over time, the game lost the creepy realism, but more of the game play was revealed, and thats when I became more interested.

4. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

I'm pretty much buying this because it comes before Uncharted 2, and I don't play narrative-based series out of order.

5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Theres really not much that needs to be said here, since U2 is easily the highest rated game on the console. I didn't enjoy what I played of the demo at PAX (too much Assassins Creed climbing for my taste) but with all the critical praise the game has received, I'm willing to give it a second chance.

6. inFamous

This was almost a throw-in. When the game was initially announced I was pretty interested in the idea of an electric super anti-hero. Almost like the Static Shock game that doesn't exist yet, but should. But when I saw videos of the game, I realized that it was essentially another third person shooter. In fact, nearly all of these games are third person shooters. And this fact was one that turned me off of the PS3 library for a long while (in conjunction with a number of other things).

#20 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
yes, you can ..
#21 Posted by MancombSeepgood (313 posts) -
@AgentJ said:

1. Valkyria Chronicles

This is the game I wanted most for the PS3. The unique style, combined with the unique gameplay mechanics, made the package incredibly appealing. In retrospect, I probably should have bought this one new in order to support the studio that made it (the game didn't sell well) but either way I'm happy I've got it. This will be the first game I actually play.

"
Ah, how could I forget to recommend this. Great game. Definitely check out the demo and see what you think.
#22 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -
@Twilight said:
" So I just bought me a PS3 today.   I was just wondering if there are somethings new users should do/know about.  And game recommendations are also appreciated. No shooters please. I'm already thinking of buying Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Burnout and Tekken 6. "
Better take advantage of Gamestop today. They have a buy two get one free deal going on, and its a great way to start up your collection. 
As for "no shooters", well you've already got two on the list of games you're thinking about. Infamous and Ratchet/clank both involve lots of shooting. If you're asking for no "FPS" (Resistance and its ilk) then things get a lot easier, but more than half of the worthwhile games on the console feature shooting as an integral part of the gameplay. 
#23 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Fat Princess off of PSN.  It's been a year and I still play it at least once a week during the "peak" 4p-11p time.  Otherwise there's nobody on and it sucks.  

#24 Posted by davidwitten22 (1702 posts) -

Do NOT get Modnation Racers. It has horrible servers and the rubberbanding is worse than the new Mario Kart games.

#25 Posted by lavaman77 (564 posts) -

Make use of your ignore list.

#26 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@AnAmericanPatriot said:
" @OllyOxenFree said:
is this flaggable, get it cuz ur avatar is a flag, lol, i'd flag it anyways, stop spammer
#27 Edited by secretagent099 (127 posts) -

-Uncharted Games
-LBP (controls are fine, don't listen to the people complaining about them, if it still bothers you though, wait for lbp2)
-Infamous
-Motorstorm 1 and 2
-MGS4 (!!!!)
-R&C games
-Valkyrie Chonicles
-Heavy Rain (!!!)
-God of War 3
-Pixeljunk Games
-3D Dot Game Heroes
-I know you said excluding shooters, but Killzone 2 is honestly a fantastic game. It's got a better feel than the COD games and also a much more tacticle feel). Cover system is nice also, although its disabled in multiplayer.

#28 Posted by EVO (3780 posts) -
@Twilight said:
" @shadows_kill:  Yea I'll definitely get Uncharted 2 cause that seems like a game I'd enjoy. "
Get Drake's Fortune first. The sequel improved on it in every way, but that doesn't make it any less awesome.
#29 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

Play all the Sony first party stuff, especially the Uncharted games.

#30 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2924 posts) -
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" @JJOR64 said:
yes, you can .. "
NO YOU CAN'T! LBP is my favorite game this generation, along with MGS4!
#31 Posted by Mushir (2388 posts) -
@AgentJ said:
" @Twilight said:
" So I just bought me a PS3 today.   I was just wondering if there are somethings new users should do/know about.  And game recommendations are also appreciated. No shooters please. I'm already thinking of buying Infamous, Ratchet and Clank, Burnout and Tekken 6. "
Better take advantage of Gamestop today. They have a buy two get one free deal going on, and its a great way to start up your collection. As for "no shooters", well you've already got two on the list of games you're thinking about. Infamous and Ratchet/clank both involve lots of shooting. If you're asking for no "FPS" (Resistance and its ilk) then things get a lot easier, but more than half of the worthwhile games on the console feature shooting as an integral part of the gameplay.  "
Yea what I meant was FPS's. I don't really mind third-person shooters.
#32 Posted by Castiel (2419 posts) -
@Twilight said:
" @shadows_kill:  Yea I'll definitely get Uncharted 2 cause that seems like a game I'd enjoy.  And thanks for all the tips so far. I'll be cautious when updating firmwares then I guess ;) "
Don't forget to play Uncharted 1 first or else you a cheating yourself of a great experience. ;) 
#33 Posted by Afroman269 (7388 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
If you hate janky platformers then yes you can go wrong. Wait for LBP 2
#34 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Front cover of Demon's Souls (US) for PlayStation 3

US Box Art

Go!
#35 Posted by blazerx9x (648 posts) -
@AlwaysAngry said:
" NO YOU CAN'T! LBP is my favorite game this generation, along with MGS4! "
aw man, i`m glad you were the first person to say that, LBP was the first game I got for my PS3 and it`s definitely my favorite this generation
#36 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Emilio: lol, kinda fail
#37 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@organicalistic_ said:
" @Emilio: lol, kinda fail "
How so?
#38 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

I played most of the ps3 exclusives, I didn't like them all. However one game I really liked alot was infamous. I'll tell you why I think it's a cool game. It's like gta with lighting abilities instead of bullets. Overall the game works, I think you should defininetly get that.

#39 Posted by Tireyo (6382 posts) -

Yet, another fortunate person getting a PS3. ENJOY!

#40 Posted by Organicalistic_ (2954 posts) -
@Emilio: your images were not working earlier?
#41 Posted by raddevon (437 posts) -

One of my favorites that never gets any love: 

Heavenly Sword
The only drawback is that you can't really find it cheap despite it's launch early in the console's life.
#42 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -
@organicalistic_:  
Dunno watcher talking about, man. Have a slice of wine.
#43 Posted by iam3green (14388 posts) -

welt welcome to the family. it is good system. 

you should try little big planet and mod nation racers. they are great games. i think mod nation racers feels like little big planet just for racing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.