Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Lack of Mics on PSN

• 63 results
    sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By sarge1445

its kind of a bummer everytime i jion a resistance game no one is talking and when they do there pretty cool but its like one in every 50 games. So anyone out there a relaxed gamer and up for some resistance burnout mgo or lbp add me psn is a lonely lonely network without mics UndyingSarge is my id

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Rivix

Yeah, its a bummer. I have a mic but don't use it that often. But I also don't think its that important.

Playing with friends is different; it should be used. With strangers, it's not a must have. 
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

Wow, I've never heard this complaint.

Ever.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sarge1445

Ok well sorry if I like some conversation or to talk tactics in online games.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By artofwar420

It depends, if you're playing Socom, then 80-90% have mics. I've noticed that about 70% of people in R2 have mics, in Age of Booty for example about a lot do, but usually you get matched in games where ALL have mics, or none do. this is of course just a guesstimation.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Hexpane

You're not missing much.  In warhawk it's mostly kids who sound like fat girls complaining that no one is paying attention to them, or worse..singing... or worse.. rapping

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sarge1445

on MGO there is no one i mean it's why i stopped playing. In warhawk it's the same thing or atleast in the older maps i dont have the expansion. In resitance 2 it's a little better and I wanna get Socom is it any good

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sarge1445
    Hexpane said:
    "You're not missing much.  In warhawk it's mostly kids who sound like fat girls complaining that no one is paying attention to them, or worse..singing... or worse.. rapping"
    lol ok so when i buy the expansion mute my shit
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili
    sarge1445 said:
    "on MGO there is no one i mean it's why i stopped playing. In warhawk it's the same thing or atleast in the older maps i dont have the expansion. In resitance 2 it's a little better and I wanna get Socom is it any good"
    SOCOM, is great, much more playable now, you can add me, my psn: is chililili, but I don't have resistance, I have however preordered Killzone 2, and I own SOCOM.
    sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sarge1445

ight sweet i ahve street fighter 4 on pre order and killzone im gameflying

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By WickedCobra03

I totally agree with you on that one.  I wish everyone would at least have a USB headset for like 14.99 that they can pick up at office max.  That is the one thing that is better about the PS3 is that usually only more serious people have the microphone, but then again, there are a ton of people who just don't use it due to lack of participation by others...even I am guilty of that.

vanwinkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vanwinkle

I wish more people had mics, definitely. If we had cross game voice chat, I wouldn't care. But alas...

Rivix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Rivix

I'll try and use mics more often. :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

No mics is a good thing :\ I always turn voice chat off anyways because of all the annoying griefers.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane
    sarge1445 said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "You're not missing much.  In warhawk it's mostly kids who sound like fat girls complaining that no one is paying attention to them, or worse..singing... or worse.. rapping"
    lol ok so when i buy the expansion mute my shit"
    IDK if they patched it but when I used to play Warhawk it was a pain to get into the mute menu, especially w/ so many players coming and going.  I figured out after a while that most of the (non clan) matches the majority of the people talking were young kiddies who sound like fat girls trying to rap/sing and attention whore.  I haven't used a PSN headset since.  Then again I quit SOCOM after SOCOM 2 cheat 9 came out and havent played Counterstrike since XBOX1 so it's been a while since I've played a true tactical online shooter.

I prefer MMOs and keyboards for online chat.  It's easy to read 4 lines of chat at once.  But w/ mics its either a bunch of noise or push to talk, which IMO is slower than typing
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
    PapaLazarou said:
    "No mics is a good thing :\ I always turn voice chat off anyways because of all the annoying griefers."
    Ditto. I can't stand mics.

Gah don't even get me started on this topic.
    pepper_2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pepper_2000

Lack of mic use is what I think killed Playstation Online games for me. No communication gets boring after a while.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

in game chat = epic lols

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By KamasamaK

Some games I don't mind the lack of mics, but in certain games like Resistance 2 co-op it would be pretty helpful provided the people aren't too immature. It really depends on whether you're playing with strangers. For example, if you're into R2 and manage to join a clan then it's less of a problem since the members probably have mics and the ones who don't still know their role rather well.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By shadows_kill

try socom EVERYONE has a mic on that game. cod waw has alot of people with mics. R2 i dont play online very much but i do remember people talking on it alot.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gizmo

I'm ordering a Logitech Cordless Vantage due to the Official one being harder to find then a Sarah Palin sex-tape.

shambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shambles
    Gizmo said:
    "I'm ordering a Logitech Cordless Vantage due to the Official one being harder to find then a Sarah Palin sex-tape."

lol ...seriously?.. i have seen them everywhere..(the mic) .. actually just picked one up from blockbuster.. 49 canadian.. not too bad considering its PS branded...

i too notice the lack of communication on psn... kinda sucks.. but eventually u stumple upon a group that uses mics.. and it adds a lot to the experience... im guessin the release of killzone2 u will start to hear more people using mics.. at least i hope.. since that was the main reason i got one...
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I don't mind, on 360 i only talk 2 my friends and mute everyone else(now wit private chat i dont have to). Alot of people had mics on Killzone 2 BETA. I guess its because most of the people are in Europe and they are more up to date

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By brukaoru

Personally, I don't mind, I never talk to complete strangers. I will only talk if the majority of the match I'm in has a bunch of my friends or, of course, if we're in a private chat.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crunchUK

i don't get it, why doesn't anybody here like using mics? It's so much fun

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Jayge_

Mics are necessary to communicate in certain games. People not having them (or not using them) is never really a good thing.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27  Edited By BawlZINmotion

I'd rather not hear the douche on the other end. It's like... torture.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think this is bullshit. 

i play on 360 all the time. there really isnt a big difference and the majority of time nobody ever talks about the damn game they just shoot the shit. games like call of duty absolutely do not need you to be using mics anyways, and thats what people seem to play the most though. 
    but if you dare play some socom confrontation i kid you not, 99% (or more lol) are using mics and if you are not they just kick you out of the game. and dude dont even say not many people are playing it cause thats totally not true. 

whenever i play games online on psn the average amount of people using mics is about half the room. and for the most part i suppose the average is slightly more so on xbl, but its usually a couple of more annoying 10/12 year olds making noises and laughing obnoxiously and just making people mad. they have em on psn, but on xbl dont even lie there is way way more dude. 

the truth is, there are plenty of people on psn using the mic, but only when necessary, for games like socom, but if you are playing anything other than s&d on games like cod4 theres not much reason to constantly have a mic on your ear. 

and seriously dude, why is it so important to people?
    it seems like only 360 fanboys bring this up simply because they think ps3 users never use em. and they always say, well gosh you mine as well be playing against bots. THATS BULLSHIT. you know damn well straight when you are playing against a human opponent or along side humans. i think its a load of horse shit every time someone complains about this. every time i actually wanted to speak to a specific player on psn online because he was good or something, i'd ask him yo put a mic on, and the always do or just nah its charging.  otherwise, im like, why do i need to hear a bunch of rambling, the constant "what the fuck i definitely shot him ugh!"'s and the "dude you guys suck we're losing you guys just omg wtf?!"'s?

...okay my rant is over. 
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By JoelTGM

I only use my mic when playing with friends.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    TwoOneFive said:
    "i think this is bullshit. 
    i play on 360 all the time. there really isnt a big difference and the majority of time nobody ever talks about the damn game they just shoot the shit. games like call of duty absolutely do not need you to be using mics anyways, and thats what people seem to play the most though. 
    but if you dare play some socom confrontation i kid you not, 99% (or more lol) are using mics and if you are not they just kick you out of the game. and dude dont even say not many people are playing it cause thats totally not true. 

whenever i play games online on psn the average amount of people using mics is about half the room. and for the most part i suppose the average is slightly more so on xbl, but its usually a couple of more annoying 10/12 year olds making noises and laughing obnoxiously and just making people mad. they have em on psn, but on xbl dont even lie there is way way more dude. 

the truth is, there are plenty of people on psn using the mic, but only when necessary, for games like socom, but if you are playing anything other than s&d on games like cod4 theres not much reason to constantly have a mic on your ear. 

it seems like only 360 fanboys bring this up simply because they think ps3 users never use em. and they always say, well gosh you mine as well be playing against bots. THATS BULLSHIT. you know damn well straight when you are playing against a human opponent or along side humans. i think its a load of horse shit every time someone complains about this. every time i actually wanted to speak to a specific player on psn online because he was good or something, i'd ask him yo put a mic on, and the always do or just nah its charging.  otherwise, im like, why do i need to hear a bunch of rambling, the constant "what the fuck i definitely shot him ugh!"'s and the "dude you guys suck we're losing you guys just omg wtf?!"'s?

...okay my rant is over. 
    "
    So your arguement is that because you dont use or need mics in some games means that this is the same for every one?
    I believe mics are needed for any game where strategy should be employed including COD4.
    Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
    ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ParrapatehRappa
    WilliamRLBaker said:
    "TwoOneFive said:

...okay my rant is over. 
    "
    So your arguement is that because you dont use or need mics in some games means that this is the same for every one?
    I believe mics are needed for any game where strategy should be employed including COD4.
    "
    Hey William. How long did it take to get those pubic hairs to grow so nicely from your chin? Such a vibrant orange/red. You must keep very good care of it.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LiquidPrince
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "I only use my mic when playing with friends.
    "
    Same.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
    TwoOneFive said:

...okay my rant is over. 

Pffft play halo at level 40s or something that's actually team work-inducing and see how you NEED a mic. It should really be a requirement and it was one smart move to include it with the 360
    Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#34  Edited By Captainlunchbox

This is kind of a split issue for me. I like talking to people on Psn when I get the chance because the community so far has been really cool.

But on the flipside, I hate when asshole 12 year olds whose parents don't mind them get ahold of a communication device and just... make me wanna beat the living shit out of them. There's no other way I could put that.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive
    crunchUK said:
    "TwoOneFive said:

...okay my rant is over. 

Pffft play halo at level 40s or something that's actually team work-inducing and see how you NEED a mic. It should really be a requirement and it was one smart move to include it with the 360
    "
    yeah i understand that completely, but the majority of the time people spend playing online is ALONE like on cod4 doin headquarters or some shit. of course when you play S&D and the more strategic matches with friends and clans in halo you use a mic. go play cod5 on ps3 and play s&d you'll see most people using mics. not on the other modes though because as much as william baker pretends its true, you dont need to work together AT ALL in most cod4 modes. 

all im saying is, that whenever i wanted other people to use mics, they were. like when i play socom, cod4 s&d mode, resistance 2 co-op and multiplayer with friends, and of course whenever friends are on we all use mics. 

stop acting like its so important to have mics on all the time, the only time i ever actually REALY enjoyed using mics was with my friends. and besides like i said, the majority of the things people say while using a mic are as follows "OMG I TOTALLY FUCKIN SHOT HIM WHAT THE HELL?!?!", "DUDE THIS GAME IS LAGGING OR SOMETHING THERE IS NO WAY HE JUST KILLED ME!!!", "WHAT THE FUCK FAGGOT AKJLSKDJLA HOMOS" "OMG TURN OFF YOUR MIC THAT MUSIC/NOISE IS SO ANNOYING!!!", "YOU GUYS SUCK MAN IM DOIN EVERYTHING" etc.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By super_machine

Its sony's fault for not making a PS3 specific mic device. Yeah I know they have one now, but it should have been plug and play like the xbox360 uses. Then I'll bet everyone would use it. If it were as easy as pushing the PS button on a headset and poof, lets talk. But Instead I have to go into the audio menu, activate device.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crunchUK
    TwoOneFive said:
    "crunchUK said:
    "TwoOneFive said:

...okay my rant is over. 

"
    yeah i understand that completely, but the majority of the time people spend playing online is ALONE like on cod4 doin headquarters or some shit. of course when you play S&D and the more strategic matches with friends and clans in halo you use a mic. go play cod5 on ps3 and play s&d you'll see most people using mics. not on the other modes though because as much as william baker pretends its true, you dont need to work together AT ALL in most cod4 modes. 

all im saying is, that whenever i wanted other people to use mics, they were. like when i play socom, cod4 s&d mode, resistance 2 co-op and multiplayer with friends, and of course whenever friends are on we all use mics. 

stop acting like its so important to have mics on all the time, the only time i ever actually REALY enjoyed using mics was with my friends. and besides like i said, the majority of the things people say while using a mic are as follows "OMG I TOTALLY FUCKIN SHOT HIM WHAT THE HELL?!?!", "DUDE THIS GAME IS LAGGING OR SOMETHING THERE IS NO WAY HE JUST KILLED ME!!!", "WHAT THE FUCK FAGGOT AKJLSKDJLA HOMOS" "OMG TURN OFF YOUR MIC THAT MUSIC/NOISE IS SO ANNOYING!!!", "YOU GUYS SUCK MAN IM DOIN EVERYTHING" etc.
    "
    the only time i ever actually REALLY enjoy using mics is all the time. Seriously, you =/= everyone else
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hexpane

lac of mics is the best thing to ever happen to online gaming.  Why are people so interested in hear FAKE GANGSTAs, RACISTS, Teeny boppers and other dregs of the earth yelling bullshit and retarded opinions out?

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ShiroMe

If you want 13 year olds to rape your ear then get an Xbox.

UMDTERPSFAN08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By UMDTERPSFAN08

XBOX 360 suffers from the same problem, mostly clans use them.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Wow, I've never heard this complaint.

Ever."
    Maybe because it's common knowlege!! PS3 SUCKS!!! PS3 SUCKS!!! 
    TROLL! TROLL! TROLL! TROLL! TROLL!

KIDDING. Nobody hate me for making a joke. but it is kind of common knowlege that a lot of people on PSN arent going to have mics. I think people have just accepted that.
    H0sTiLity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By H0sTiLity

You must have recently played on Xbox Live b/c everyone has on that system.

Need one for Nazi Zombies though!

Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Hairydutchman

Buy Rainbow Six Vegas 2. Many people use mics in that game.

Personally I think the lack of mics is a blessing for PSN. The amount of annoying kids on Xbox Live is unbearable, especially with Gears of War and Halo.  

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44  Edited By CenturionCajun

Mics can either be essential or worthless. If you're in a heavy game of Killzone 2 where people are talking and wanting to actually play the game it can be the difference between victory and defeat. However, if you're in a game where some guy gave his kid the headset or are ranting racist slurs it's better to just turn it off and throw it in a corner.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sarge1445

i find it fun just to have a conversation online while playing a game like resistance 2 when i found friends that had mics and that game just talking about random bs while playing increased that games entertainment value greatly for me. Same thing with unreal tournament that game was not fun at all alone found a server with some guys chatting i jioned in made it more entertaining i see online gaming as a social experiance overall. Yea there are bad parts like the young kids ,but there are also awesome left4dead dear jesus im dying please come save me moments

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Having mics while playing online is awesome. Playing Left 4 Dead on PC, and most of the people have mics - wow I realized how much better it is than the mostly silent PSN.

I haven't tried Killzone 2 online yet, just been playing through the single player which is great so far. I hope that people use mics in Killzone 2's multiplayer?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By TheHBK

Hahah, of course 90% are using mics on socom, the fucking game comes with a bluetooth headset.  Thats how sony fucked up, one of many mistakes.  If they believed the PSN was better cuz its free and has all these features, they would include a headset in the playstation box and one that is wired to the PS3 controller.  Bluetooth is nice but too expensive to be practical for gamers and has to be charged as well.

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By sarge1445

Yea i actually got int oa killzone game with some conversation it was fun. Talked about the weirdest shit im between yelling about how there raping us

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

I've noticed that.

Marginally, there are a lot less mic users on PSN than Live.

I think part of the problem is that PS3 doesn't really have a standard headset, not to mention they don't pack one in.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    Drebin_893 said:
    "Wow, I've never heard this complaint.Ever."
    someone lives under a rock...  ps3 > 360 imo but your an idiot for this one

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.