Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Latest maintenance and firmware 4.45 improved dl speeds

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Downloading Littlebigplanet Karting last night I noticed a few changes since the last maintenance and firmware update.

The few changes:

• added a progress bar for when selecting background downloading
    • Overall download speeds have increased
    • they eliminated the "slow start" for background downloads (previously the first 10MB downloaded would be at a slower decreased rate then once the 10MB is reached the download speeds up to regular speeds)
    • Downloading updates has been speed up substantially! I have never experienced a stable 4MB/s download when updating a game/app on the PS3.

Here is a graph of the download speeds I had during the updating of Littlebigplanet Karting.

the graph shows the 4 updates (traffic at the end is from connecting to the LBP:K servers)
    the graph shows the 4 updates (traffic at the end is from connecting to the LBP:K servers)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

But does it brick the console this time?

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

4.45 bricked my system and I haven't noticed any improvements with 4.46 (although I wasn't looking for them) but I will check it out tonight when I start downloading stuff.

I hope this is true. It would be smart for Sony to start scaling their network functions upward in anticipation of the PS4. Even smarter that they are giving away BF3 which will lead to a spike in downloads and online play.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@hailinel said:

But does it brick the console this time?

Seems like the previous firmware was only causing issues for older model PS3s that have been upgraded to certain model hard drives, and it was fixed by downloading a new firmware update to a USB key, booting the PS3 into safe mode and upgrading it from there, fairly simple from what I understand.

By opening up their system to non-proprietary upgrades, it definitely makes it harder to account for all possible issues that might come up with a firmware update, but I think it's safe to say I would rather have Sony offer the option to throw my own hard drive in than force me into a pre-packaged proprietary hard drive that's 2-3 times more expensive than it should be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.