Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Let's talk about Playstation Plus and why it's awesome.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

I bought 15 months of playstation plus for the price of 12 during the annual sale that happened when PS Plus turned 1 or 2. I've since gotten so many games for that 50 bucks that I cannot believe this thing exists. I'm currently playing the original Sly Cooper on PS3 in 3D for free just for being a PS Plus member. That's easily worth 20 dollars alone. Why isn't everyone a member? You get so. much. shit. It is mindblowing. What do you get with xbox live gold? Not that much if you don't play multiplayer. I did watch a soccer game on xbox for free so thats....cool... Anyway, I think we're all in agreement that PS Plus is the best value proposition in gaming. Lets discuss.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TentPole

I agree.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By benjaebe

I've definitely made back all the money (and then some) I've spent on the subscription just from the discounts on games alone. The free games and themes and shit like that are just icing on the cake.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

Jesus...

Eventually I'm going to read one of these "Sony PSN Plus/Vita/Games is awesome" threads and it won't come off like you guys keep the Kool Aid next to the keyboard. Today is not that day.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JazGalaxy

I hate playstation and just got one over christmas to be able to play Twisted Metal.

I got PS+ for free for a month and, after a month, can't imagine unsubscribing.

The best thing about it is it reminds me of when I was younger and would trade games with my friends. You constantly had a supply of free, sometimes strange or obscure games made available to you and you came across real gems that you wouldn't otherwise play.

There is a REAL AND QUANTIFIABLE joy that comes from having someone aggregate game titles for you to play. It's like listening to the radio and having someone sift through the mire and recommend stuff for you to listen to.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By kindgineer

Yeah, Sony is definitely putting up some competition for Xbox Live. I think that's why Microsoft has been (kind of) stepping up to the plate with better weekly deals and more media options. It's always good to see both sides of the war going at it; Makes for better content. Now if only Nintendo would get their shit together things might get done. I mean, look at what Nintendo brought to the plate with it's motion controls. Before the Wii, "Motion" was with a shitty camera that barely worked, and now we have actual budding technologies we can be proud of like the Kinect and the Move.

OMGITSJASON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OMGITSJASON

Free Stuff like Playstation Minis, full games and DLC. That is why I love it!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

Free games I've spent more than 5 minutes playing: 1

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
    ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sly 1 for free. 
    Thats all I need.  Too bad I'm broke and cant pay for PS Plus,

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Vinny_Says

Maybe one day we'll get the Netflix of gaming where you can play all the old games all you want....it's just a dream for now though....

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phrali

@DriveupLife said:

Why isn't everyone a member?

because if you cancel your ps plus you lose access to all your stuff. which is fucking stupid.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xyzygy

@phrali said:

@DriveupLife said:

because if you cancel your ps plus you lose access to all your stuff. which is fucking stupid.

This. Also, the OP's comment about XBL not having anything worthwhile is complete BS. There are currently 4 games on DOTW which are half off - if you were to have bought those games when they were new, another person buying them this week would have saved more than 20 bucks. And that's in one week alone. I always wait for deals and it saves me a shit ton of money.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By envane

what is this viral marketing bullshit

send your testimonial to sony they might actually care

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By egg

Personally I don't agree with PS Plus because I see purchases as voting with your dollars. By buying PS Plus you're voting for nothing, even if it is a good deal in the long run.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By scarace360

i love my PS+ totally worth it. Sam and max season 3 for free, monkey island free, stacking free, final fantasy 6, all great got em all for free totally worth my 50$

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Djratchet

@phrali said:

@DriveupLife said:

The service keeps you coming back for more, so unsubbing is what is really fucking stupid.

You only lose access to the free games you got through PS+, you keep all the other shit (avatars, themes, DLC, discounted stuff) you download.

And you can get that stuff back at any time be re-upping your subscription. But like I said, why you would cancel in the first place is beyond me.

Also, auto updates/trophy syncs/cloud saves are pretty sweet in their own way.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zeushbien

I have been thinking about signing up, but I'm waiting for something I actually want to become free first.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By StrikeALight

I initially signed up for the cloud save service, to back up my Dark Souls & DS saves.

I've got so much more than that in return, I doubt I'll ever go back to being a non-member, unless they seriously drop the ball. Trine 2 and Sly Cooper HD being free have been the highlights this month.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

PS+ does have some pretty sweet deals but I can't be arsed to update my Playstation anymore so despite it being a bit of a bummer to see some of the great deals I'm missing, I'm out.

And no, I'm not paying money to be given the privilege of an acceptable update system. If they ever decide to fix the updating system for all users I might consider subscribing.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Djratchet

@ProfessorEss said:

And no, I'm not paying money to be given the privilege of an acceptable update system. If they ever decide to fix the updating system for all users I might consider subscribing.

I do agree it should be available to everyone, but I will gladly take that stuff in addition to the other stuff I get.

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tamaster92

I honestly think that PS Plus was the best investment I've made this generation. As a student getting new games for free every month is pretty fucking awesome and saves me a great deal of money.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By UncleDisco

I've also been enjoying it quite a bit. Last 3 months got me Far Cry 2, Sly Cooper 1 and Trine 2 for free. And the auto update is nice.

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sirdesmond
    @phrali

@DriveupLife said:

Exactly. It's basically just Gametap for PS3.
    Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would never dream of paying for PS+. It astonishes me that people think it's good value.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By BlackLagoon

@James_Giant_Peach said:

It astonishes me that people think it's good value.

Errr... because it is? I got my first year of subscription when they offered Sam & Max, and got Ratchet & Clank Quest For Boot along with it, those two alone were worth most of what I paid for the subscription. Everything after that was a bonus. My second year I bought when they had a sale, so I paid less per month while the offerings became more impressive with retail titles like Far Cry 2 and Sly Cooper.

Loosing access to the games once subscription ends doesn't bother me, since I have no plans to drop my subscription any time soon, and I don't really have time or interest to go back and replay most of them anyway.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By TrashMustache

yup, PS + is just a great value because it makes sense. Paying a yearly fee to microsoft just to play online DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. I really hope consumers will start realizing this en masse soon. Of course I realize Sony would not have come up with PS+ if Xbox live was free to begin with, so this action reaction brought out one of the best value propositions in gaming aside maybe from steam. I seriously hope people will consider this before paying microsoft to play online. I just sound like a fanboy don't I? I'm really not, I just think we've crossed a point of no return. When the next generation comes along, depending on who (microsoft or sony) makes the first move to launch a new console, do you really think paying 60 dollars to play online is gonna sound like a good deal? O rather, when did it ever sound like a good deal?

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phrali said:

@DriveupLife said:

Nah, there are games that have a big 'KEEP FOREVER' thing in their description, I remember seeing a lot of the old Final Fantasies with it in a sale earlier this year. 
    VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By VisariLoyalist

well to be honest you're describing exactly why I don't care, all of the free stuff is junk i don't want anyway. An old ps2 game really? 60 minute game demos don't interest me as I probably know whether I want a game already. Cloud saves are useless to me I don't move machines on a regular basis. All of the auto updating stuff is cool and all but it would be actually useful to me if it would auto update games without having to start them just to find I can't play multiplayer for another hour. I use my ps3 often enough that the few times you need system updates aren't a bother to me. I also don't like this thing I'm hearing from people that their ps3 turns on by itself to update... I turn my ps3 off with a powerstrip now that the slim has no off switch to save power. (which I was angry about when I realized they had removed it). Most significantly I just don't buy games from psn often enough to make the discounts that great, and for that matter they are never for the hot games anyway. So yeah I think people using ps-plus are probably fooling themselves and have bought into the false premise value system of psn. This is also why I buy discs cause they are easy to sell later and less likely for me to lose access to them.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@c0kemusheen said:

A pro sony thread with a Microsoft Xbox live bashing from the OP? How fucking original, piss off you fucking fanboy cunt

sigh... when this sort of comment comes up in this community luchadeer cries a single tear

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By zidd

Cloud storage and automatic downloads.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RE_Player1

I think Playstation Plus is the greatest thing to happen in this industry since the Dreamcast.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @VisariLoyalist:  
    • Auto-update does exactly what you're asking. I recently turned on my PS3 and it gave me a list of quite a few games it had updates for and downloaded/installed them while I was sleeping. One of which was Uncharted 3 which I had not touched since launch. Also you can turn all of that off if you want, but I want my games to download patches while I'm not around so I don't have to mess with it
    • There has never been a PS2 classic for free, perhaps you're thinking of the recent Sly Cooper HD? That is a PS2 game... I guess, but it's an HD version with trophies and such. Not the same thing as a free PS2 game
    • Just because you don't like the list of games doesn't mean other users are "fooling themselves" into thinking it's a good value. There's no denying that some of the games to come out for free have been duds but out of the close to 100 games I've gotten for free I'd say at least half of that have been games I wanted to try anyway but didn't want to spend money on. Honestly my year sub was worth it for the free Double Fine and Telltale games alone.
    • Not everyone resells games. If you're going to resell your games then yes, obviously having the physical copy of that is a must but I couldn't care less about if my games are physical or digital as I have no interest in selling back anything.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I'd love PS + if it let you keep your games once you unsubscribed.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#34  Edited By Kidavenger

I like the idea of ps+, but I already have too many games to play, more free games does nothing for me.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By Sergio

I would say I've gotten more for my money's worth from PS+ than I have with XBL Gold.

Stache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Stache

I feel like I've got my money's worth out of it personally. I've got plenty of free games, and bought games here with discounts instead of on XBLA because I could get it a little bit cheaper. The extra stuff like the video shows and such I don't pay too much attention to, but the discounts have paid off.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tebbit

@James_Giant_Peach said:

I would never dream of paying for PS+. It astonishes me that people think it's good value.

But... it is. The games I've downloaded and played totally for free have already paid for my subscription and then some. It is the literal definition of "good value".

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tebbit

@Tebbit said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

But... it is. The games I've downloaded and played totally for free have already paid for my subscription and then some. It is the literal definition of "good value".

And yes I realise the irony of using the phrase "totally for free" when the subscription costs money, but you get my point.

Daspletosaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Daspletosaurus

I was legitimately dreading this thing coming. It looked like a cheap xbl:gold ripoff but then they gave me Abe's Exodus for free and it's been all roses and happiness since then.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Morrow

I'm not a Plus member because I rarely use the PSN store. I only buy DLC ocassionally for a few bucks. I don't have time to keep up with all the game releases, there's no way I have time to play the PSN store games too.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By YoThatLimp

There are a few posts in this thread that really sound like viral/undercover PR guys. Kind of gross.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.