Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Meet the People Who Call Home...Home

• 148 results
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By Afroman269

I don't want to meet the people that call Home...home.

jellysnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By jellysnake

I remember reading the NeoGAF thread when Home was originally unveiled.  People were losing their shit declaring "SONY IS BACK" "SONY HAS WON THIS GENERATION".  It's very amusing to go back and read now if you can find it.  (GDC 2008 I think it was). 

That said, I do find it fascinating that it has attracted a dedicated hardcore following and is making money.  I'm not tempted to try it though as it's not really my cup of tea even if it were ultra popular.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By dvorak

It's just another one of those micro-communities of people out there that feel this is the place, as it were, where they can feel comfortable. We all use video games, books, movies, music or whatever as a form of escapism. Some people just take it in a different direction, and get way more wrapped up in it.

A very similar community popped up in The Sims Online, and whatever strange EA advertisement shill that turned into. Always accessable and persistent imaginary living spaces are the key. That goes without saying Second Life, and all those wild 'virtual' web spaces that popped up in the late 90's. We can't forget There! I'm sure there's plenty that most people have no idea about, and I'm sure the people in their community appreciate that we have no idea they exist.

Right or wrong, this was happening before the rise of internet ecosystems in BBSs, MUDs, role-play chat rooms, or MMOs. A good early example would be Dungeons and Dragons. It was for so many lonely nerds, a way to discover that they were truly not alone. They had their own license to create not only their own private ecosystem of friends, revolving around the same interests, but share in whatever fantastical situations they could dream up. Little nerd communities had their own private worlds to disappear into for years.

Home is not exceptional. It's just as bewildering and crazy to the outside observer as the rest of the internet's passionate micro-communities.

Speaking from my experience, I used to think that tabletop RPG's and wargames were the most absolutely bullshit thing ever, until I gave them a chance. Comics were the same way really. For me, they're really more of passive experiences, but I do truly appreciate their sub-cultures as being unique, and worth the time to those who enjoy them.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#104  Edited By BabyChooChoo
    @dvorak: Hey hey hey, slow down there with your fancy words and well written comments.

Haha, but seriously. that was very well written and I'm glad someone (among few others of course) felt the need to leave an intelligent comment instead of just hopping on the bandwagon to dismiss Home as this 'place for the crazy people.'

But like you said, looking at something like this from an outsider's perspective, it must seem like the craziest thing on earth. I just think it's sort of ironic that people who don't play games look at gamers in the same 'crazy person' light and gamers will defend themselves to the death, but yet turn around and in the same breath judge people who play Home People who are part of the culture they try to defend.. Tis a crazy world we live in.
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Aeterna

@qxz86 said:

Why is this article so littered with typos?

Because content quickly.

Haven't you noticed the same thing on many newssites? It's a cryin' shame but it happens all over the place.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By stackboy

Home really isn't relevant to someone like me, but its still interesting to know about those that do get some use out of it and how this environment is tackled.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By gunslingerNZ
    a 59-year-old member of Home and founder of the Grey Gamers, a group catering to Home's oldest crowd

I'm all for people gaming into later life but this + Home = creepy...

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#108  Edited By saddlebrown

I need a video tour of Home from Patrick and Jeff and Vinny. That seems like the right cast for this.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By DG991

They need to make Home like the internet in futurama.

Shut up and take my money.

SexyRandal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By SexyRandal

@whatisdelicious: A home QuickLook would be pretty amazing actually.

whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By whitesox
    @Ghost_Cat said:
    It's just amazing to think that, if you create a virtual space with some toys, traveling and communication functions, it will blossom with virtual life.  At the same time, it's a little sad to think how so many people rely software like Home because they cannot bring themselves to communicate with others in the real world.
    Why is it sad, exactly?  Is it sad because they go about their business differently than you do?  

Great article, I love these interesting pieces Patrick has been putting out.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    @whitesox said:
    @Ghost_Cat said:
    It's just amazing to think that, if you create a virtual space with some toys, traveling and communication functions, it will blossom with virtual life.  At the same time, it's a little sad to think how so many people rely software like Home because they cannot bring themselves to communicate with others in the real world.
    Why is it sad, exactly?  Is it sad because they go about their business differently than you do?    Great article, I love these interesting pieces Patrick has been putting out.
    Looks like a Second Life rip-off to me & not really a game.
    If you need social interaction, probably it's better to get out
    of the house & do it instead of being lazy & being online.
    ColdsnapBryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By ColdsnapBryan

Looking forward to the rest of the articles. As a marketing major Home amazes me.

vinsanityv22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By vinsanityv22
    @SockLobster said:

Second Life for people that hate fun

Exactly what I took away from this article. There's nothing here that these guys are saying that fans of Second Life wouldn't say. It's really weird that there are people using their PS3 primarily for this thing. And it's definitely sad that it hasn't come together in a way that's enticing to building a community of gamers

XBL has proven that the anonymity afforded by online-enabled games is a bad thing, especially when you give them a headset and they're beyond intolerant. So HOME was actually sort of a noble idea; to create a community for the gamers on the PSN and remove some of that and make gamers more civil. But it totally hasn't ended up that way. It's just a haven now for the same kinds of people who dug Second Life's aimlessness, might have social problems in the real world, and apparently have no problem with the complete lack of soul or style in HOME's visuals (again, like Second Life). I mean, if you're in this for escapism, what does it say about your lack of creativity that you consider being a virtual hipster "escapism"? Go play World of Warcraft or something. Pretend to be a hero, not a d-bag in a wool cap when it's warm outside.

Oh well. It doesn't hurt me in any way that it exists, so if you enjoy it, have at it.

Free Realms is a better version of what HOME should've been in my opinion. But it's targeted at kids. Still, I can guarantee that SOE would've come up with a better thing than...whoever was the "developer" of HOME.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By jeffgoldblum

@Aeterna said:

@qxz86 said:

Because content quickly.

Haven't you noticed the same thing on many newssites? It's a cryin' shame but it happens all over the place.

The other whiskey sites are much worse.

nickystixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#116  Edited By nickystixx

we need a quick look of Home stat! 

ant0ni00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By ant0ni00

I actually like Home, even though I'm only a casual user. I hope it becomes more successful. There is potential there. It would be rather cool to see some MMORPG-like quests in the environment. Maybe add an area where people can become warriors, cops, villains, etc. Era-specific stuff, like being transported to the 1800s area to do specific stuff that will net you items from that era to put in your home space as trophy. 

There's much that can be done. I just hope it sticks around because its existence can only be beneficial, especially if it causes some other system to do a better job at it.

whitesox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By whitesox
    @Lind_L_Taylor said:
    @whitesox said:
    @Ghost_Cat said:
    Why is it sad, exactly?  Is it sad because they go about their business differently than you do?    Great article, I love these interesting pieces Patrick has been putting out.
    Looks like a Second Life rip-off to me & not really a game. If you need social interaction, probably it's better to get out of the house & do it instead of being lazy & being online.
    I don't think its sad at all.  If anything, I'm glad the people who play this have found a niche in which they can enjoy themselves.   Who am I to pass judgment upon someone for socializing online?  But to most, if you're doing something that isn't socially acceptable by their standards, it doesn't matter if you're enjoying yourself; you're a loser.
    Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Nettacki
    @ant0ni00 said:
    I actually like Home, even though I'm only a casual user. I hope it becomes more successful. There is potential there. It would be rather cool to see some MMORPG-like quests in the environment. Maybe add an area where people can become warriors, cops, villains, etc. Era-specific stuff, like being transported to the 1800s area to do specific stuff that will net you items from that era to put in your home space as trophy.  There's much that can be done. I just hope it sticks around because its existence can only be beneficial, especially if it causes some other system to do a better job at it.
    Considering how it's been kicking for 2.5 years and counting, I think Home will have no problem sticking around for a long time.
    Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#120  Edited By Gerhabio

@qxz86 said:

Nice first post

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Ragdrazi

I liked Home back when it was called The Sierra Network. Back then it had some charm to it.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#122  Edited By xpgamer7

Home is one of those things that's fun to check out for a few minutes when you're bored, and then realize you can go back to playing your assassin's creed.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By wadtomaton

For me Home has always been the "check it out for an hour every like 6 months" type of experience. I'm just glad that PixelJunk Shooter had some home items because now I have a survivor helmet and don't have to see my avatars creepy eyeballs ever again =D

Also I got to sit in the Star Wars cantina and listen to Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes, that was definitely a plus XD

Also in an unrelated note, double checking my spelling on Figrin D'an I discovered that he is a "Jizz Musician"...god damn it Lucas >.<

lockload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By lockload

Bizarre never got it always found it boring

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#125  Edited By Levio

@nickystixx said:

we need a quick look of Home stat!

Did someone say Endurance Run??

redlitez76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126  Edited By redlitez76

home is neat but it isnt for me.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By gunharp

@dvorak said:

Well shit Dvorak, you've said pretty much what I thought after reading this piece.

"...Always accessable and persistent imaginary living spaces are the key. That goes without saying Second Life, and all those wild 'virtual' web spaces that popped up in the late 90's..."

Beyond the 90's, plenty of 2000's virtual worlds still exist in pretty much the same capacity. I think another key aspect that keeps the community driving is the "sandbox". Some 3D Social MMO's still exist because of that feature. Outside of Second Life there is (off the top of my head) Planeshift, Saga of Ryzom, A Tale In The Desert and Myst Online: Uru Live. Just wanted to add that to you're two keys.

Home is not exceptional. It's just as bewildering and crazy to the outside observer as the rest of the internet's passionate micro-communities.

I think what makes home a bit unique (yeah not exceptional) is how Home has shaped given the advertising ventures that go on, and that is only on a console. Thats probably what fascinates people to write about it.

Speaking from my experience, I used to think that tabletop RPG's and wargames were the most absolutely bullshit thing ever, until I gave them a chance. Comics were the same way really. For me, they're really more of passive experiences, but I do truly appreciate their sub-cultures as being unique, and worth the time to those who enjoy them.

I was the same way about role playing groups and tabletop stuff like DnD. I got miniatures, and war-games. But could not wrap my head around the roleplaying stuff. Why would people want to play imaginary games? I get it now (don't enjoy it myself) but I don't dismiss them as whacks for playing the games they want.

@patrickklepek said:

@Kesselrun said:

None of the interactions between this "community" are any different (or more significant) from what has been going on in chatrooms and MMOs for years. A guy that writes for a Home magazine and a guy that creates and sells content on the platform have every reason to talk up the platform. Second Life was also idealized for years in the press, presented as something very different from what actually went on in the game. It's good that people can find others to chat up and have fun with, but you can poke around and find equally large and active communities in all sorts of games. I'm not sure why things like Home are viewed as different or more human-centric when they are almost purely about advertising and cash shops.

They're not, it's the perception that Home failed. It didn't. It just didn't become a phenomenon, but there are large groups of people that feel Home is very important to them.

Ok I think I understand way more now, about why you would write about Home. There is actually a big perception around it. The topic gets tossed around and is more relevant than the hundreds of other virtual communities still kicking it on the PC. As a console mmorpg it is probably the most talked about outside of maybe Phantasy Star Online. No one talks about Everquest Online Adventures or Free Realms for damn sure.

All this reflection on online social games makes me remember the mmorpg SEED. Now that was something. It really had the best recipe for what I always imagined a socially driven mmorpg to be. Soon politics will be as normal as the virtual economy and role playing bits in your mmo.

Eijikun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Eijikun

Patrick seems to like to be politically correct. But let's face facts: if you're substituting the real world with any virtual world, then you've got real problems from which you're running away. 

Also, Patrick said: "Imagine what it's like when your favorite place on the internet disappears...." So what? Move on. Life isn't about entertainment and the internet. And if it is for you, then find a new way for yourself. Is it a full life to just be entertained and then you die?

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By dvorak

@Christoffer said:

That Thoreau quote proves we should all stop using famous quotes as arguments. It's quite good but doesn't fit at all in this context. Is it any better that we go to our graves having pretended to be who we always wanted to be?

But I don't want to dismiss the whole community. As far as I know, Home is far greater than any game in the social aspect, so the joke's on me I guess.

This article was a great read. I only knew Home as a... home... for idiots and griefers and this humanizes them a whole lot. Maybe you could do something similar about the simulator community (Trainz, Farming Simulator, Ship Simulators Extremes etc.). I need to know what the hell is up with that.

I can understand how people would enjoy Railworks if they are a big fan of trains and railroad ephemera. It’s not like there are a lot of opportunities for a passionate train guy to actually drive a train, much less single-handedly. The thing I can't get though is how someone who wrings so much enjoyment out of Railworks, and can justify purchasing the literally thousands dollars of extra train and railroad DLC that exists on Steam. It's not that I have a problem with people ‘wasting’ their money on stuff like that, because personally speaking I've spent even more money of tons of stuff that would make me look like just as much a total nerd.

There is truly a whole world out there though, related to very specific sim games that very few even know exists. I'd really enjoy understanding what it is that drives the hardcore sim communities. That is, if “communities” even truly exist. They are almost the opposite of social sims like Home. Most of the time spent in these industry simulations are entirely solitary.

Trains and large machines are inherently interesting due to their complicated manufacture and processes. But how large the intersect could possibly be, between the hardcore train enthusiast and hardcore PC gamers?

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#130  Edited By Siphillis

I've always felt that the money invested in developing Home could have been used to make PSN competitive with Xbox Live.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#131  Edited By fox01313

Great article, though think that I'll never quite fully understand the mentality of PS Home fans or why it's still perpetually in Beta.

Sekoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#132  Edited By Sekoku

"The beating heart of Home isn't its gaming experiences--and it never will be.  

And that right there singles out the biggest issue of Home with people that "game." The lack of gaming going on in what you described it aptly: A game consoles virtual chatroom.

While, that may be fine for 59-year-old "gamers," that isn't going to draw in Joe CallofDooty. And that's why most people consider Home a "failure."

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By myke_tuna

I still remember getting into the beta and finding Jeff within minutes of playing purely by chance. Sadly, I was with one of my friends and I felt like it'd be a huge dick move if I abandoned him for a celebrity only I knew about. "Dude, it's Jeff from Giant Bomb! See ya, man!" "Whoa, wait, what? Who the fuck is Jeff? And what's Giant Bomb?"

DataLore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By DataLore

I appreciate more long form articles like this.

kearakauai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By kearakauai
    I saw the two article/interviews by Patrick Klepek re Playstation Home mentioned in the HomeForum and in HomeStation Magazine.  After reading both interviews (Jason Sorensen of HSM on June 29 and Jack Buser June 30), I wrote a lengthy reply which I submitted this afternoon.  Hopefully, GiantBomb will print it.   

The bottom line, however, is that you need a lot more than a cursory glance at Central Plaza to get to the root of what keeps so many people in Home.  This is an open invitation:  sign into Home and send me a friend request:  keara22hi    Tell me when you would like a real in-depth tour of the public places, personal spaces, clubs, parties games, people, mini games, and other fun stuff in Home.  I will delighted to show you the real Home experience.    Come as a group or alone.  I'll leave the porch light on for you.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#136  Edited By Jayross

Great story P-dog.

pmonette94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By pmonette94

Never been to home, ever. Am i happy? perhaps

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By matti00

I love these articles, keep it up Patrick, genuinely interesting to learn more about.

burbie52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By burbie52
    gunslingerNZ on June 29, 2011
    a 59-year-old member of Home and founder of the Grey Gamers, a group catering to Home's oldest crowd

I'm all for people gaming into later life but this + Home = creepy...

Well I am the so called "creepy" person you mentioned.  I have a large club in Home with many dedicated gamers over the age of 30. My oldest member is almost 73. I think many of the kids out there tend to forget that video games have been around for a long time now. I have been playing them since they were invented, my first one being "pong". I love video games and though I go into Home a great deal I also play games, I have beaten many and continue to play daily, I am fifth legend in Red Dead Redemption for example.
    Home is a wonderful community of people if you take the time to get to know a few. It can be a daunting experience at first, there is a lot to learn about the way it works, communication, and other things, but once you get past that and meet a few good people, it can be a great place to socialize. I have a life outside of Home, a nice one with real friends and family, so the idea that  everyone in Home is a socially inept twerp or something is a misconception. I have met many well educated, professional people in Home and I have friends here from all over the world, something I would never have in real life. That being said, I also have quite a few friends in Home who are ill, either physically, like MS,  or mentally, such as bi-polar, or autistic or agoraphobic. For many of these people Home is a life line. It may be their only way to have a social life. I don't think that anything that provides that type of help on any level to people should be just summarily dismissed as irrelevant The comments I have seen here have run the gauntlet from.positive to negative to indecisive. What I have gathered from it all is Home is not for everyone, that's a given, but there are many people who would disagree with you for many different reasons. So enjoy your gaming or enjoy Home or both as I do, in essence just enjoy life in its many myriad forms, but let others do as they will with no condemnation,  just because you don't agree with something or understand it, doesn't make it wrong or "creepy."

DigitalCantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By DigitalCantina

Great article Klepek, still cant believe that its still in beta. I wish we had something like the Metaverse from Snow Crash  

Cynthius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Cynthius

I just could never get into home...  Maybe it's because none of my friends ever use it, I dunno... I just don't see the appeal.  I used to log in once in a while to see what's been updated, but haven't been on for probably a year now.
    thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#142  Edited By thepantheon

Great article Patrick.

Thanks for being awesome.

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By norsedudetr

I actually like the graphics of Home. The character editor makes it possible to create a frighteningly familiar facsimile of myself (this tends to be the case in a lot of editors, I don't know why), and some stuff, like watching game trailers and stuff with other people seemed like a good idea. On the whole, though, I find it pretty listless, seems strangely empty even with people there. Guess that's why it's no longer taking up space on my 80gb ps3.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#144  Edited By ShinjiEx

Meh I'd rather play DCUO for "My Home"

Geo888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Geo888

Excellent story. I completely forgot home even existed.

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#146  Edited By insanejedi

Home isn't a game, Giant Bomb shouldn't be reporting on it any more than they report on stuff like Second Life.

melton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By melton

Personally i love home. I think there is so much that can be done with it. But when i first joined home, a moderator told me home was a G rated space, even sony employees say the same. what pisses me off is, even though its supposed to be G rated, sony turns right around and makes extremely questionable clothes up for grabs for anyone that has money or a psn card.Wow sony, what happened? Next that really got me, there are hardly any mods on home any more. So trolls and pervs and bashing fams and groups are allowed to go rampid. This is when i stopped buying items on home. yes i love it, but the ones in charge of home need to step in and up their game. Also for the cutters ridge private space, it make no sense to take the games away from it where people have spent their hard earned money on it. Sony has told me before, when you buy something on home, then it is yours forever. If thats the case, either give me back my stuff or give me a refund.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^

Nice first post

I've had a Playstation 3 for 4 years and never once used Home... because it's dumb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.