my ps3 froze. what do i do?

#1 Posted by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -

 my ps3 froze. what do i do?
 
i heard turning the switch on the back can be harmful.... what do i do?
 

#2 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4936 posts) -

Hold the power button for some time, see what happens.

#3 Posted by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -
@pornstorestiffi said:
" Hold the power button for some time, see what happens. "
it wont be harmful right?
#4 Posted by Webby (720 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
" @pornstorestiffi said:
" Hold the power button for some time, see what happens. "
it wont be harmful right? "
Ive had to do it a few times and its been fine
#5 Posted by Skye (411 posts) -

Punch it repetitively.

#6 Posted by Snail (8617 posts) -

Hold the power button, how come you still haven't tried that?

#7 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -

Panic!

#8 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

My PS3 freezes practically everytime I use the browser.  Simply holding the power button to turn it off as normal seems to work just fine, and doesn't have any adverse affects.
It's just a bit of a nuisance.

#9 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

It'll break if you turn off the power button. Buy a new one.

#10 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4936 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
" @pornstorestiffi said:
" Hold the power button for some time, see what happens. "
it wont be harmful right? "
No its not, it just reboots.
#11 Edited by AnnouncerGXZ (702 posts) -

ok i holded down the button and i heard beep... then beep again then i release. then it just go to sleep mode (red light) then i turn it on then it goes to a screen saying last time wasnt shut down properly. move on.... everything seems fine. thank goodness! tqtq
 
 
what cause it the freeze anyway? thats the first time.

#12 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Warm it up.
#13 Posted by btman (1038 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
"  my ps3 froze. what do i do? "
throw it out the window. hope this helps
#14 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
"  my ps3 froze. what do i do?  i heard turning the switch on the back can be harmful.... what do i do?  "
The Electric Bugaloo 
#15 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -

If we combined all of our knowledge of unfreezing PS3's, we could unfreeze every PS3 ever frozen.

#16 Posted by turbomonkey138 (4950 posts) -
@Dirty_Harry said:
" Panic! "
DON'T PANIC .....
#17 Posted by deadFM (98 posts) -

..or are you frozen in time and the PS3 is running normally?

#18 Posted by AjayRaz (12440 posts) -
@Bucketdeth said:
" If we combined all of our knowledge of unfreezing PS3's, we could unfreeze every PS3 ever frozen. "
we could, but then again, we would never be able to play them again if we did so. 
#19 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@AnnouncerGXZ said:
" ok i holded down the button and i heard beep... then beep again then i release. then it just go to sleep mode (red light) then i turn it on then it goes to a screen saying last time wasnt shut down properly. move on.... everything seems fine. thank goodness! tqtq   what cause it the freeze anyway? thats the first time. "
Hmm. Whenever mine freezes I do that, and I've never gotten that message. I have the original 60GB, maybe that's why.
#20 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" If we combined all of our knowledge of unfreezing PS3's, we could unfreeze every PS3 ever frozen. "
we could, but then again, we would never be able to play them again if we did so.  "
How about we try that for the RRoD? Though with the sheer number of them, I doubt even everyone on GiantBomb compiling their expertise would be able to do so. 
#21 Posted by AjayRaz (12440 posts) -
@RaikohBlade: it could be done, but meh. too much work.
#22 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Well whenever a console acts a bit dodgy I just stare disappointingly at it. That seems to fix the problem the majority of the time. Thankfully my PS3 hasn't fucked up...yet.

#23 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -

Aren't you supposed to light something on fire if it's frozen?

#24 Edited by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -

Yeah, you just hold the on button till it beeps then resets.  You're only supposed to use the switch if holding the power button down doesn't work, though holding the button down is supposed to fix any freeze.  My brother in law had to get his fixed after flipping the back switch instead of holding down the power button.  It messed up the laser I think. 

#25 Posted by animateria (3253 posts) -
Guys, Guys...
 
I think he would have resolved the situation after 9ish hours!
#26 Posted by ninjakiller (3405 posts) -
@animateria: Doubtful, I pictured op in the corner sucking his thumb, tears rolling down his face, rocking slowly back and forth, the whole time tearfully/mournfully staring at the frozen image on his tv. 
#27 Posted by Radar (893 posts) -

Delete system32

#28 Posted by Bucketdeth (8024 posts) -
@RaikohBlade said:
" @AjayRaz said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" If we combined all of our knowledge of unfreezing PS3's, we could unfreeze every PS3 ever frozen. "
we could, but then again, we would never be able to play them again if we did so.  "
How about we try that for the RRoD? Though with the sheer number of them, I doubt even everyone on GiantBomb compiling their expertise would be able to do so.  "
That is a task I'm not up for.
#29 Posted by PenguinDust (12554 posts) -

Wrap it in a towel.  That's my new answer for any console hardware issues replacing the old one...beat with a hammer until it stops buzzing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.