My PS3 isn't reading discs!

#1 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem... So here's how it went down: 

Earlier today I was playing Valkyria Chronicles when the game just froze. This usually doesn't happen to me, but I didn't think much of it. I was able to go out into the XMB and quit the game from there. It wasn't until later today that I went to play some more, and the disc wasn't showing up in the XMB. I've restarted it, and not only will it not read games, but it won't read CDs, DVDs, or Blu-Rays  either! D: 

I've had it for almost two years, and have never had this problem before. 

Any idea on what I should do? I'm on the verge of tears here...

#2 Edited by SethPhotopoulos (5205 posts) -

You know what's wrong and yes it is sad. 

I had to send mine in. 

However you should find someone who can fix it since you probably don't have the warranty.

#3 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

....call up Sony and ship it back to them to fix it.  It'll cost about one dollar plus ninety nine more dollars.

#4 Posted by Yummylee (21470 posts) -

Maybe he needs some reading glasses....OH FUCK MEE! Well anywhoo, I'm sorry to say you may be in need of a new ps3. It may just be the lens, however so best research some of that moojooo.

#5 Posted by RecSpec (3798 posts) -

YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH!!  IT'S COMING!

But yeah, either send it in for repairs or get a Slim. Your call, slim.

#6 Posted by Dr_VonBoogie (348 posts) -

I'm in the same situation at the moment. Started with Modern Warfare 2, then as soon as I bought God Of War 3 that's when my PS3 Decided to call it quits. Since my warranty was up at the time it would've cost me $120 just to renew it and I didn't have that type of cash. Best thing I can tell you is that if your warranty is still in effect just ship it to Sony or if you have to tools, you could try to clean the lens yourself, tried myself but I didn't have the right screwdriver to open the disc-drive so I could,t really tell you if it would work or not, also keep in mind that by doing that it'll void your warranty. And if your warrany is up and you can't/don't want to clean the lens you could always just buy a new one.

#7 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Shits about to die, i suggest you take out a hefty life insurance policy on it. Then once it dies you'll be rich.

#8 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Before you send in your PS3 or before it breaks further make sure you BACK UP ALL YOUR GAME SAVES!

#9 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Maybe its broken.

#10 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@RecSpec said:
" YELLOW LIGHT OF DEATH!!  IT'S COMING!"
Thanks for making me feel better .___.
#11 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@Dr_VonBoogie said:
" I'm in the same situation at the moment. Started with Modern Warfare 2, then as soon as I bought God Of War 3 that's when my PS3 Decided to call it quits. Since my warranty was up at the time it would've cost me $120 just to renew it and I didn't have that type of cash. Best thing I can tell you is that if your warranty is still in effect just ship it to Sony or if you have to tools, you could try to clean the lens yourself, tried myself but I didn't have the right screwdriver to open the disc-drive so I could,t really tell you if it would work or not, also keep in mind that by doing that it'll void your warranty. And if your warrany is up and you can't/don't want to clean the lens you could always just buy a new one. "
Yeah, I think my warranty is up... or just about to be. I'm thinking of cracking it open and cleaning the lens, or maybe reformatting it? I'm really not sure how reformatting it would help the drive, but I don't have the money for another PS3, and am willing to try just about anything.
#12 Posted by Dr_VonBoogie (348 posts) -
@chubisaur: Yeah, reformating it won't work . I tired myself but to no avail. The best thing to do at the moment is to either try cleaning the lens yourself or if you can take to like a console repair expert, you will probably be able to get it fixed and it most likely wouldn't of had to of cost you much either. You would still have to wait for your console to get fixed though. I will say this though, check and make sure your warranty isn't up yet.
#13 Edited by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Throw it in the box and get your ass to Gamestop while it still works. Use the money to get a slim.
(or) 
Sony will fix it for $99 plus shipping.
(or)
If you're tech savvy enough you can get a new blu-ray player and install that into it. There are enough tutorials out there so that you don't brick it or get banned.

#14 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@Dr_VonBoogie said:
" @chubisaur: Yeah, reformating it won't work . I tired myself but to no avail. The best thing to do at the moment is to either try cleaning the lens yourself or if you can take to like a console repair expert, you will probably be able to get it fixed and it most likely wouldn't of had to of cost you much either. You would still have to wait for your console to get fixed though. I will say this though, check and make sure your warranty isn't up yet. "
A console repair expert? That sounds promising. Will definitely be checking that out, thanks :)  
O, and I found out that I still have a few months left on that warranty, so I will also be giving Sony a call. 

Thanks everyone for tips & advice :D
#15 Posted by Yodasdarkside (276 posts) -

Throw it in the box and get your ass to Gamestop while it still works. Use the money to get a slim.   

I did this when my PS3 wouldn't read some of my Blu-Rays, although all of my games still worked.  General consensus on the internet seemed to be that I was getting an early warning that my laser was on the way out.  Took advantage of the extra 50% trade-in value Gamestop were running at the time, added 3 games as well and walked away with a 120gb slim for $5. 

#16 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

A buddy of mine had the exact same issue with his PS3. Only solution is to send it in I'm afraid.

#17 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@SPACETURTLE said:
" A buddy of mine had the exact same issue with his PS3. Only solution is to send it in I'm afraid. "
Yea, I just got off the phone with Sony, and looks like that's what I'll have to do /: Better than buying a new PS3 IMO. I like my phat PS3 :D
#18 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

when you put a disc in does it make a sound like the laser eye movement arm is moving? if not then the motor or the arm is screwed. 

if you do hear the arm move then, it is the diode within the eye itself. 

changing of those parts is pretty simple, just use some online refs for the schematics. i can virtually build a phat ps3 at this point from doing so many repairs on my old one due to YLOD and a few friends no read errors. u can get the whole arm and eye set for like 50 bucks now lol. just saying. 50 and a little elbow grease or 150 and wait for those lame fux at sony to do something.

#19 Posted by RecSpec (3798 posts) -

Sony WILL NOT send you back your old PS3.
 You are better off finding someone else to fix it.

The refurb I got was a piece of shit, the fan sounded like a goddamn jet engine. 

#20 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@TotalEklypse: No, I don't hear anything at all. It's like the disc is just sitting in there doing nothing. 
 I'm looking into taking it to a console repair place, because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to eff it up even more.
#21 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@RecSpec: O no! I hope they don't send me a new one.. I love my current console D:
#22 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@chubisaur said:
" @TotalEklypse: No, I don't hear anything at all. It's like the disc is just sitting in there doing nothing.  I'm looking into taking it to a console repair place, because I don't know what I'm doing and I don't want to eff it up even more. "
sounds like the motor is out and not the diode. usually if the bluray diode goes out you can still play dvds and other formats depending on the eye setup on your particular system. the variety of parts they used with all the models is nuts actually lol. anyway, if the motor goes then the eye is not moved into the proper place on the disc to read at a given time so obviously no format of media is going to work. there are a few good places around to get it repaired without paying the inflated prices the console companies charge and you get the same 90 day repair warranty regardless from legit places. i had a friend in texas use a place he found on ebay that charged something like 75 to repair a YLOD malfunction (they also fix the disc read problem too). i dont recall the name of the place (jj electronics or something i think??), but i do know it is located in michigan.  

like i said though you can buy the part and replace it yourself using some online refs that are step by step. i understand the feeling of not wanting to eff it up further lol. 
#23 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@TotalEklypse: Thanks for the info :) I found a place near where I live that repairs consoles, I'm going take into them this week and see what they say. I really don't feel like paying $150 for Sony to do something that someone else can do for half the cost. Last night I was really upset and so close to just cracking it open because I thought my warranty was up, but turns out I still have a few months to go. So until then, I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing look at it...
#24 Posted by lilbigsupermario (842 posts) -

If you have a CD-player cleaner (you know, the CD that has like a small brush under the disc and you put a cleaning solution on it) and a blower, try that first.  If it still won't read your games or a plain audio CD, then the lens may be busted (burnt or something involving the motor that allows your lens to level its position while reading).  Now if the lens is busted, having it repaired with another repair shop that is unofficial to Sony, then they will just try to clean the lens, adjust screws, etc.  But basically, it will still be the same lens unless they can order the parts from Sony.  If you send it to Sony, they may repair the lens with the right tools or replace it with a refurbished one or simply replace it with a new one, although that may cost more (not sure), but since you still have your warranty, it shouldn't cost a lot, just the shipping costs I think. :)

#25 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -
@chubisaur: WOA WOA WOA.. u said you still have warranty time left? hell with taking it to a repair shop. sony has to repair it for free ;D. 
if a 3rd part repair place fixes it then that actually voids the warranty. unless of course you mean the SONY repair station is near by then by all means go put it on their door step and ring the bell lol. seriously though use the warranty service. however let me stress something to you. MAKE SURE you deactivate all accounts on your system through the menu settings. otherwise these will become lost account slots because you will more than likely receive a refurb. in other words.. if you need your 5 slots for any given account ( say.. for sharing with friends *wink* ).. u know like some people do.. then make sure you go into account settings and deactivate your system from those accounts until you get the hardware back. other than that it should be smooth sailing.
#26 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@TotalEklypse: O_O thanks for the info, now I'm rethinking everything, lol. I'll probably just end up giving it to Sony now /: And lose my accounts?! Okay, yea I'll definitely be deactivating all those. 
 Who knew having your disc reader malfunction was such a pain in the ass? (>_<)
#27 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

mine broke a few weeks back (made on thread on here too!) i just broke down yesturday and bought a slim.... so worth it...

#28 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -
@chubisaur: If your warranty is still valid, send it in to sony. If not, research on replacing the blu-ray drive. I've done it myself and it's not too complicated and way cheaper than buying a new ps3.
#29 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@defaulttag: Yea, the warranty's still active, and sending it in to Sony is probably what I'm gonna end up doing. 
@shadows_kill:
 I don't think I could part with my PS3 phat though /: Not to mention I really do not have an extra $300 lying around .___.
#30 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Just get it fixed and don't give into the slim. Shiny obese PS3s FTW!!!!!

#31 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -
@chubisaur: well my friend (that doesnt have lots of money) bought the broken one for 120 and hes playing downloadable games til get can ship it to sony.. at least someone gets to still use it!
#32 Posted by chubisaur (32 posts) -
@Afroman269: Haha, that's what I'm planning on doing :D I <3 my PS3/George Foreman grill :p 

@shadows_kill: Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing /: I wanna finished playing Valkyria Chronicles though! D:
#33 Posted by Sarkhan (1196 posts) -

Im on my third Ps3. On my first, the bluray drive broke, so i played ps2 games and games on my hd for about a week until i found out its time to turn it in. about 14 months after i bought it. Second one got the YLOD. about 18 months after i got it back. Now im on my third and its holding out still. 

These are all 60GB units with bc. Here in norway, you have warenty on electric products that cost over 1000KR = 165Dollars, for 5 years. So it dident cost me a single dime. 
Pluss when you have to take it in for warranty, you get 2 months extra on top off that again. so i got 4 months extra on top of the 5 year warranty. Pretty sweet:) 

Now i have about 9 months left of the warranty, so i think my Ps3 will break around next summer(^^) and i go for the slim:)   
#34 Posted by dudeglove (7720 posts) -

Buy a slim. 

BUY IT.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.