Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Need Advice on 4-Player Couch Game(s) for Beer Evening

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Cincaid

Yo!

So this Friday me and some mates from class are celebrating that our first term on University is over with some vidya games and beer. We're having the evening at a dude's place who has a PS3 that he pretty much never use. Somehow we managed to get 4 controllers for it, but are somewhat scratching our heads on what game(s) to play that is well suited for some 4-player madness. The only thing that I can think of is that Battle Royal thingy, but someone pointed out that it's probably not very friendly for just an evening session and that it needs some time to get good at and have fun with.

So I'm stumped! I don't own a PS3 myself and honestly don't know how the market for 4-player games look like. When we've met before we've played Mortal Kombat, which is easy to pick up and have some silly fun with, but it would be awesome if more could play at the same time. Shower me with your knowledge, Giant Bomb!

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By bishna

Maybe some Little Big Planet? Or perhaps some Scott Pilgrim? I think Mod Nation Racers has 4 player splitscreen as well. Other than that I am blanking.

Avatar image for deactivated-616d38c07628a
    deactivated-616d38c07628a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You don't know jack or I would recommend Mod Nation Racers. Other than those two I'm also blanking

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Hizang

@Cincaid: Playstation Battle Royale would probably be a good time, but that depends on whether you like that genre and Playstation, here are my recommendations.

• You Don't Know Jack.

Wait, I actually don't have anymore, I looked over my 140 games and hardly any would support 4 player local play. It's either online or co-op with 2 players in todays age. I'd say play some 2 player games and just take turns. That would open your options up big time, or do what I would do, sell that PS3 and get a N64 for some real 4 player local play.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By nightriff

Go buy a wii for $20 and pick up Fortune Street

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Coafi
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Hizang said:

@Cincaid: Playstation Battle Royale would probably be a good time, but that depends on whether you like that genre and Playstation, here are my recommendations.

• You Don't Know Jack.

Wait, I actually don't have anymore, I looked over my 140 games and hardly any would support 4 player local play. It's either online or co-op with 2 players in todays age. I'd say play some 2 player games and just take turns. That would open your options up big time, or do what I would do, sell that PS3 and get a N64 for some real 4 player local play.

Same, Playstation Battle Royale is pretty fun spent my weekend playing that. Other then that can't really think of another multiplayer game you can play on one screen unless its maybe a sports game. OH just thought of a game, WWE All-Stars! It's one of those fighting games that's fun with a couple of beers down, 4 player game too. Rayman Origins but its two player at a time...

- If you have PS Plus they had Ratchet and Clank all 4 One for free for a time. 4 player platformer that can be played at the same time. Though mind you its a Ratchet and Clank.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HarlechQuinn
    mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy
    • Warhawk has 4 player split screen. You can go online with 4 players or have a lan if you get a couple of PS3s and copies of the game.
    • You Don't Know Jack is pretty good but I think it only lasts for 3 rounds before its time to do something else.
    • Tetris is $10 and has 4 player
    • The multiplayer expansion for Super Stardust HD is pretty good. It's got a 4 player mode but it's mostly 2 player modes.
    • High Velocity Bowling is a pretty good bowling game.
    • Trine is pretty good but only 3 players.
    • Rag Doll Kung Fu: Fists of Plastic has some pretty good dumb 4 player multiplayer.
    • Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars is soccer with cars that can jump. It's dumb in a great way. Try the Demo.

Looks like it's mostly PSN stuff. Hope that's ok.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By I_Stay_Puft
    audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By audioBusting
    vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By vasta_narada

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@Hizang said:

• You Don't Know Jack.

Same, Playstation Battle Royale is pretty fun spent my weekend playing that. Other then that can't really think of another multiplayer game you can play on one screen unless its maybe a sports game. OH just thought of a game, WWE All-Stars! It's one of those fighting games that's fun with a couple of beers down, 4 player game too. Rayman Origins but its two player at a time...

- If you have PS Plus they had Ratchet and Clank all 4 One for free for a time. 4 player platformer that can be played at the same time. Though mind you its a Ratchet and Clank.

There's no way Rayman Origins is 2P-max on PS3. 3 friends and I played through Origins on 360 together.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By Cincaid

Thank you all for the advice! Someone in the group said he could dig out his N64 and Dreamcast as well, so I think we're set for the evening!

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By YI_Orange

@Cincaid: PLAY CHU CHU ROCKET PLAY CHU CHU ROCKET

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By EpicSteve

@Coafi said:

LittleBigPlanet 2 this game is so much fun.

If i had guys over for beer and put on LittleBigPlanet 2, I would be punched in the face.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance would probably be great.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Vasta_Narada said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@Hizang said:

• You Don't Know Jack.

There's no way Rayman Origins is 2P-max on PS3. 3 friends and I played through Origins on 360 together.

Probably is, only have 2 ps3 controllers.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Coafi

@EpicSteve said:

@Coafi said:

If i had guys over for beer and put on LittleBigPlanet 2, I would be punched in the face.

Why? That game is loads of fun, don't guys enjoy that game?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By EpicSteve

@Coafi said:

@EpicSteve said:

@Coafi said:

Why? That game is loads of fun, don't guys enjoy that game?

Depending on the crowd, you'd be best served offering something a tad more (for lack of better word) manly. I wouldn't think LittleBigPlanet is a go-to crowd pleaser.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheRookie727

Blur has a 4 player mode.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By superfriend

Little Big Planet 2 is actually a pretty good choice. Not the jump and run parts, but the 4 player versus "fun-levels" you unlock in between. There are also some awesome competitive levels online, like some where you just jump in place and get kicked off a platform, Wipeout style. (sigh, the newfangled, stupid Wipeout)

Unless you´re too hard for some fun, you manly man you!

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Coafi

If your friends are that type of crowd maybe if they are drunk enough, they won't mind. After all, what matters that the crowd has fun, not really the manliness of the game.

I agree with what @Superfriend said:

Little Big Planet 2 is actually a pretty good choice. Not the jump and run parts, but the 4 player versus "fun-levels" you unlock in between. There are also some awesome competitive levels online, like some where you just jump in place and get kicked off a platform, Wipeout style. (sigh, the newfangled, stupid Wipeout)

Unless you´re too hard for some fun, you manly man you!

lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lutonhatter

Just buy bomberman off of PSN. Job done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.