Netflix Coming to PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/10/netflix-coming-soon-to-playstation-3/ 

The official blog says it: 

We’re excited to announce today that Netflix and Sony have partnered to bring you thousands of movies and TV episodes streamed instantly from Netflix to your TV via your PS3 system at no extra charge. When the application launches next month, you’ll be able to access and watch thousands of Netflix choices directly through the XMB. We think that the nearly nine million PS3 enthusiasts and 11.1 million Netflix members in the U.S. will make quite a match. 

Key words here are *no extra charge* 

EDIT: Wanna find out the moment it's released? Go here: www.netflix.com/ps3  

Looks like...
#2 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

someone already posted about this

#3 Posted by SmasheControllers (2548 posts) -

Cool, now I gonna decide which system to watch on.

#4 Posted by Meptron (1078 posts) -

great, now if only they would provide this service in Canada...

#5 Posted by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -
@Meptron: Netflix would have to go to Canada first.
#6 Posted by Toxin066 (3283 posts) -

spiffy. Even though I don't have Netflix...

#7 Posted by rjayb89 (7720 posts) -

Once again, good for Netflix.

#8 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -
@Meptron said:
" great, now if only they would provide this service in Canada... "
#9 Posted by ConstanT (15 posts) -

Sony is trying so hard. Yet it will take about 3 days for a video to buffer, due to the shitty online service.

#10 Posted by Tirrandir (217 posts) -

I do find it really weird you need to launch the service from a disc, though.  That's kind of ... cumbersome.  Then again, I use instant on my computer, since all my consoles and comp go to the same device.  Good on the PS3, tho.  Netflix is awesome.

#11 Posted by bulletclip6 (131 posts) -

Fantastic news. Imma get my movie on.
#12 Edited by matraque (47 posts) -
@ConstanT said:

" Sony is trying so hard. Yet it will take about 3 days for a video to buffer, due to the shitty online service. "

Was netflix suppose to be a 360 exlusive?  LOL at Microsoft and their "exclusive
#13 Posted by artofwar420 (6286 posts) -
@matraque said:
"@ConstanT said:

" Sony is trying so hard. Yet it will take about 3 days for a video to buffer, due to the shitty online service. "

Was netflix suppose to be a 360 exlusive?  LOL at Microsoft and their "exclusive "

And this is Netflix who is providing their service, PSN probably has nothing to do with this.
#14 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
@artofwar420 said:
" @matraque said:
"@ConstanT said:

Was netflix suppose to be a 360 exlusive?  LOL at Microsoft and their "exclusive "
And this is Netflix who is providing their service, PSN probably has nothing to do with this. "
As far as I'm aware, playing a DVD or Blu-ray Disc disconnects you from PSN. So yea, PSN can have nothing to do with it for now since this will be on a Blu-ray Disc unless they change that functionality or make an exception.
#15 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

This is awesome. My PS3 can finally be my complete media device. :D

#16 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

It's nice that there is no extra charge for Netflix on PS3. Even though I have a Xbox Live Gold Membership I wish it wasn't a requirement to be able to enjoy Netflix on my Xbox.

#17 Posted by m1k3 (1327 posts) -

seems you have to get a blu-ray disc from netflix before you can use it. im pretty sure there will be a firmware update in the future that will allow netflix without a disc.

#18 Posted by SoothsayerGB (1468 posts) -

Eh... I've seen everything worth watching on Instant.  Kinda tired of hearing Netflix advertise for such a sub-par and pretty awful tack on service.  Their selection is damn lame.  I check in about twice a week to see if they've added anything worth more then 3 stars.  I would be excited if there was more/something to watch.  Something that I either don't want to watch or haven't already seen 50 times. 

They even put limits on certain movies.  Like, 13th Warrior was just taken off the instant list.  It's as if, you can only watch movies on Netflix, thet you can watch it on TV.   I swear that every time I find a decent movie, I just saw it on encore or another channel.

But I guess that, even thoe PS3 is once again months behind 360, its a good thing.  That more people that will be exposed to Netflix's slack ways.  The more people that get tired of the service, the more that will complain.  Eventually making it better.  Hopefully... 

Now if only they would buy Gamefly.

#19 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Yet another reason to stop renewing Xbox Live Gold...

Hmm...

#20 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@artofwar420: Takin' my pictures, you douche! Haha

Side Note: Signing up for the email notification may get you a discount (?). From Jeff's Twitter: 

PS3 owners wanting to get in on Netflix Instant Streaming ASAP should go get on the list for a free disc. http://www.netflix.com/ps3

[ Link]

Would be sweet if true.
#21 Posted by Andorski (5287 posts) -

Pfft... whatever.  TVersity + backed up Blu Ray/DVDs + PS3 = Ultimate media set-up.

#22 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

Kind of sucks that you'll have to use a disc, one of the great things about Blu-ray for consoles is less disk swapping. 

#23 Posted by Brake (1097 posts) -

Now if they only brought it to Europe...

#24 Posted by MB (12281 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.