Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Network Card Please Help

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jamin

Hey, duders so I recently moved and when I did I changed my ISP from verizon to comcast. Once I was moved in and everything I notice my ps3 will not connect to the internet. Well it will but only like 1/5 boots and it drops a lot. I am hard wired in and when I cannot connect it either does not recognize the ethernet cable is plugged in or it will for about 30 seconds to a couple minutes then just drop. I do not know if my network card was damaged during the move and now that is broken or something else is the issue? I tried looking on the internet and nothing seems to solve this issue. I read restarting the whole network, disable media share, reformatted my ps3 and nothing.

It is not the cable because it works fine for my PS4 and the port also works fine for the PS4. If anyone can please please help I would appreciate it I have tons of games digitally and lots of them I still need to play. Also I am using the comcast X1 router/modem. if that helps. Also I do not know if this makes a difference but I did have the PS3 hooked up for a couple days and worked fine it was not until after I purchased the Mass Effect trilogy when it was on sale that it would randomly not connect.

Thanks.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jamin724: Might be a long shot but how have you set up your devices ip address on your local network? Check maybe the ps3 ip address and change it either manually or dynamically.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jamin

@i_stay_puft: As of right now it is set as the default ip address I really did not mess with that stuff as it is above my head and do not want to make things worse. I have read that also the MAC address could have something to do with it but really I do even know how to access those things.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: The only other thing I could think of is that Comcast saw my big download with the mass effect trilogy and somehow they shut off the internet to that device by its IP address but I have no clue if that is even possible.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@jamin724: I think at most Comcast could cap your dl / ul but not shut it off completely. If they were to terminate your service they'd at least contact you for the excessive bandwidth but the day and age we're living in 20-40 GB downloads is pretty normal now a days off psn. From the way you put it how it would randomly disconnect I was thinking your ps3 might be using an ip address that might by conflicting with another device running on the same local network which is causing the device to drop out. It sounds like you don't fritz too much around with network settings so you might just have the device automatically connect to the router but it still might be a good idea to run through the network settings again and set up a new connection since you did change isps.

On PS3 Main Menu:

Settings > Network Settings > Internet Connection Settings

Then just following the steps from there.

A question I have is by any chance have you tried connecting your ps3 to your modem / router using wi-fi and is that working? When you restarted your router did you just pull the power or did you reset it fully to factory settings? Anyways good luck dude hopefully you figure it out.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just pulled the plug and I look for wireless and that does not work either. The only reason I think it maybe the PS3 is because it will not find any wireless connections and I live in a apartment complex my PC finds like 30.... I tried what you suggested for the PS3 it did nothing I just dk what is going on.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: I tried what you suggested nothing worked. I also looked for wifi before and it found none. I live in apartment complex and my PC finds like 30 so that is why I think it maybe the PS3 but I dk why it would have worked a week ago.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamin724: Sucky, the only other thing I can recommend is finding a friend and seeing if the ps3 can connect to their router using wifi or hardline. If it can then it's probably an issue with your network settings, if it can't sounds like something is wrong with your ps3. Well at least the ps3 started breaking down towards the tail end of the console life so you can replace it relatively cheap. Black Friday's also a few months away so if you really needed another one that might be a good time to thinking of getting a replacement.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_stay_puft: Thanks its just this is my 2007 fat ps3 and I cant believe it would go now. I am going to my gfs house this weekend and I know it worked there so I will test it there and if it works I will probably just switch ISP cause I would rather pay the extra $10 a month then have to deal with comcast for a 4th time.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jamin

@i_stay_puft: Good news! I have no clue what I did but I reset my router completely and my ps3 and now it works dk what was wrong but it is all solved now :)!

AND as soon as I posted that I left it on for over 8hrs worked fine it is now not working again!!!! >.<

Called comcast they said it is my PS3 which I am afraid of I hopefully will know tomorrow when I take it to my gfs.

So update it works fine at my girl friend's and she has comcast i will try one more time when i get home. If it doesn't work just going to switch to Verizon

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.