New PS3 Game Box Design!

• 113 results
#1 Posted by LiquidPrince (15950 posts) -

Hate it... I don't understand why they keep changing the boxes. I'm anal about it being uniform on my shelf so they better not change the spines.

#2 Posted by gingertastic_10 (4141 posts) -

Liked it the old way.

#3 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -

I like it more.

#4 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6992 posts) -

Will it be the same type of case?

#5 Posted by Akeldama (4248 posts) -
@gingertastic_10 said:
" Liked it the old way. "
#6 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I hate it as well. I really liked the Spider-Man font...

#7 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

Because it's the PS3-that-looks-like-a-PS2 era, not the shiny new Spiderman PLAYSTATION 3 era.

#8 Posted by LiquidPrince (15950 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" Will it be the same type of case? "
I believe so.

@Cheapoz said:
" Because it's the PS3-that-looks-like-a-PS2 era, not the shiny new Spiderman PLAYSTATION 3 era. "

Replacing Sleek with... meh...
#9 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -

Does this mean the boxes will no longer have the see-through plastic on top of it? That thing really annoys me, it feels really pointless. Though I cant say I like the new style, though its more like the original PS/PS2 style it feels very imposing over the boxart.

Isnt the most important point that it looks distinctly diffrent from the current PS3 game boxes and it might through off less savvy consumers?

#10 Posted by Satune (477 posts) -

I really like the format thew have now, I don't like that there changing it.
I just hope the box is the same size as the old ones so that my PS3 games wont look all weird on my shelf cause some of them will be short boxes, and some of them tall ones.

#11 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -

I hate change blah blah blah blah.
Were you people pissed when they let women vote too?
I like the new box design.

#12 Posted by ZeroCast (1869 posts) -

Love the design, much more simplistic and easy to look at.
#13 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

i always found it weird the ps3 had its header down the side as every one else has it up top. Wii, 360, PSP and PC. The DS was the only other one to do it, and i think it's because like the ps3 case it was more square then vertically rectangular.

#14 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -

I for one am not a fan of the Ratchet and Clank box art. It's too generic. 

I sorta don't like the new PS3 box design either.

#15 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -
@Shini4444 said:
" I for one am not a fan of the Ratchet and Clank box art. It's too generic."
Ratchet games have never really had all that great box art, to be honest.
#16 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

It's awful, gradients are never a good idea. 

@JeffGoldblum said:

" Were you people pissed when they let women vote too?"
Yes
#17 Posted by Teptom (2047 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @Shini4444 said:
Ratchet games have never really had all that great box art, to be honest. "
That's true. I just refreshed my memory by looking at them all. They seem to be getting gradually worse each game.
#18 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

It's just a casing Liquid. I know where you are coming from but I think you are getting worked our for nothing really. 

#19 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3704 posts) -
@CoolDrMoney said:
" It's awful, gradients are never a good idea. 

@JeffGoldblum said:
" Were you people pissed when they let women vote too?"
Yes "
Haha. Stop invalidating my point!
#20 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -

Not a fan, but whatever.

#21 Posted by Ironknight (129 posts) -
@iAmJohn said:
" @Shini4444 said:
unless you lived in japan
#22 Posted by CowMuffins (1760 posts) -

If you're going to do gradients,do them right. Why are they doing this?

#23 Posted by iAmJohn (6120 posts) -
@Ironknight said:
" @iAmJohn said:
" @Shini4444 said:
unless you lived in japan "
Eff that, those eyebrows are FREAKY.
#24 Posted by Chaser324 (6552 posts) -
@LiquidPrince said:
" ...they better not change the spines.  "
That's the only thing I care about. If it's a little different, I won't mind, but if it's drastically different and clashes with the old spines then I'm not going to be happy.
#25 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Ugly as fuck.

#26 Posted by Pazy (2581 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:
" @LiquidPrince said:
" ...they better not change the spines.  "
That's the only thing I care about. If it's a little different, I won't mind, but if it's drastically different and clashes with the old spines then I'm not going to be happy. "
Isnt that already a problem if you buy a platinum release of a game since it makes it almost entierly a grey colour which stands out quite a bit?
#27 Posted by gimmysumcowbel (418 posts) -

i already miss the Spiderman font...
#28 Posted by KombatBabyyxO (19 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:
" Ugly as fuck. "
#29 Edited by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
@JeffGoldblum said:

"Were you people pissed when they let women vote too?"

...Of course I was. Now where's my sammich?
#30 Posted by EVO (3913 posts) -

No sir, I don't like it.

#31 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Article on Kotaku says that the spines will be different.

Kotaku said:

Oh, and for those of us interested in picking apart box art minutiae, the back of the PS3 game case is also available for ogling at the blog. Even the spine!! It's branding heaven.

I'm not a happy camper, Sony...

[ source]
#32 Posted by punkxblaze (2985 posts) -

Personally, I hated the PS3 boxes because they were out of line with -everything- else, if you want to really get in to bitching about being 'uniform', and I always disliked the Spiderman font. I like that the PS3 is starting to line up with its' predecessors and peers when it comes to visual aeshteiblahblahblahblah.

Seriously, they're boxes, guys. Is this really that big a deal? Is your life going to change dramatically?

#33 Posted by Tebbit (4465 posts) -
@Hitchenson said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:

"Were you people pissed when they let women vote too?"

...Of course I was. Now where's my sammich? "
Coming dear. 

#34 Posted by spankingaddict (2674 posts) -

ooohhhhh nooooooooo the box art doesnt look good, im not gonna buy it now! shut upppp :)

#35 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -
@spankingaddict said:
" ooohhhhh nooooooooo the box art doesnt look good, im not gonna buy it now! shut upppp :) "
I could care less about the Ratchet and Clank box art, and the conversation in this thread isn't about that. It's about how it'll fuck up the neat, clean, organized look of my game spines on my gaming rack.
#36 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

Looks really dumb. Just like the design of the slims.

#37 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Yep older looked better

#38 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

cool, i hope that they keep it the same size. i really like the size of the ps3 cases. it saves a lot of plastic also. i think it is alright, i hope that they save it so they don't keep on changing it.

#39 Posted by choffy21 (1376 posts) -

Spine shot shown here:

Took some serious digging to find it, but here it is. Isn't too bad, but still...
#40 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -

It looks so bland and thrown together. The old boxes were sleek and new. In my opinion, they were way better than the 360 and Wii cases; more streamlined and placed more emphasis on the art. Now... just back to the bland, old look.

#41 Posted by AndrewGaspar (2418 posts) -
@choffy21 said:
" Spine shot shown here:

Took some serious digging to find it, but here it is. Isn't too bad, but still... "
Hate it. The old boxes spines' were better too with just the "3".
#42 Posted by LiquidPrince (15950 posts) -
@spankingaddict said:
" ooohhhhh nooooooooo the box art doesnt look good, im not gonna buy it now! shut upppp :) "
Did you even read what I said...? I never said anything about teh game or about purchasing it, merely that I hat the box template change...

@AndrewGaspar said:
" @choffy21 said:
" Spine shot shown here:

Took some serious digging to find it, but here it is. Isn't too bad, but still... "
Hate it. The old boxes spines' were better too with just the "3". "
Fuck that sucks...
#43 Posted by m1k3 (1330 posts) -

Sony is basically trying to rebrand the playstation brand... i think they threw out what they first had planned for the PS3, and came up with another plan.

#44 Posted by Qorious (847 posts) -

I like it, but now my PS3 collection won't match anymore. And since there's a PSN icon on Ratchet & Clank, does that mean this game will have multiplayer? O_o

#45 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@m1k3: I remember reading that the one reasons that the PS3 logo has been rebranded was because that it looked smaller compared to the 360 logo.  The Slim represent a new start of sorts for Sony with the PS3 and it's really good to see that kind of change coming from a company that are fierce reputation for not changing. I can't help but think if its all because of Mr. Howard Stringer. There is more going on here then what people realize but if you know how to read between the lines and have good memory then you'll realize very fast what's really going on at Sony. 
#46 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

That thing looks like it came from a swap meet.

#47 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
 Heres an example for why the logo was rebranded. 

#48 Posted by agentboolen (1787 posts) -

I thought the other style look nicer, this reminds me of the PSP's case too much.

#49 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

I do not like the slim look and I do not like the new box look.

#50 Edited by teekomeeko (625 posts) -

I like the second box design with the "Playstation Network" and sometimes the "Only on Playstation" wording on the same level below the plastic on the case itself.

This just looks bland to me.

Oh, and just for you font lovers out there, the "Spider-Man" font is called Homoarakhn - now all it's good for is annoying people with label makers :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.