Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Official PS3 Games Recommendation Thread.

• 58 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By Yummylee
    Just to help clean up the countless threads people create to ask what games they should get for their new ps3 or what have you.  
    A huge thanks to those who have already suggested titles to put up.

Upcoming Releases: 

Uncharted 3: Drakes Deception.

Action/Adventure Third Person Shooter - The finale for the famed Uncharted trilogy, Drake's Deception will no doubt offer up the same high quality shooting and multiplayer modes. 

inFAMOUS 2.

Open World Superhero game - Looks to improve greatly with the gameplay and introduce a whole host of new powers for Cole along with a brand new story.  

Mass Effect 2.

Action Orientated RPG - The port from the 360 and PC marvel. Will include all DLC releases for the 360/PC version aswell as its own exclusive content.

The Last Guardian.

Action Adventure Platformer - A long awaited title known for its beautiful art style and endearing characters of the boy and the Guardian Beast.

Killzone 3.

Slow Paced military shooter - Endorsing the 3D fad, Killzone 3 looks to give another epicly proportioned campaign made up of excellent graphics and realistically paced shooting.

Portal 2. 

Complex physics based puzzler - Stated to be the definite best version on consoles for the PS3. Said to carry the series in a very ''cruel and dark'' direction.

Resistance 3. 

Fast Paced FPS - The next in the series of the Resistance franchise. Very little is known at this point. 

LittleBigPlanet 2.

Custom Content driven Platformer/Puzzler/Racer/Fighter ect.. - Said to improve on the original with giving even more freedom to create whatever your imagination wills.  

Final Fantasy XIII Versus. 

Yet another large scale JRPG, set in the same Universe as Final Fantasy XIII for ps3/360.

Gran Turismo 5.

The patiently developed Racing Sim is soon on its way to fight for the throne as the No.1 Racing Simulator. 

Twisted Metal. 

Vehicular Action - After a long hiatus the Twisted Metal Franchise is looking to bring its trademark OTT competitive vehicle carnage for the PS3.  

Yakuza 4.

Semi-Open world Brawler - The next in line for the popularly Japanese beat em up coming to the west.

Current Highlights:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves.

Action Adventure Third Person Shooter  - Improves from its predecessor in practically every aspect and is well worth its incredible praise from all corners of the review globe. 

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots.

Third person Action Adventure espionage - A cinematic masterpiece that wraps up every known MGS plot line before it. Incredibly long cutscenes, though Even by MGS standards. 

Killzone 2. 

Slow paced military First Person Shooter - One of the most hyped PS3 titles for a long while, Killzone 2 managed to deliver with an adrenaline rush of a single player and a well versed multiplayer package that is still being played by many today. 

Demon's Souls. 

Slow paced Hack n Slash Role Playing Game - A throwback to the unrelenting difficulty of the old school games, Demon's Souls also manages to pull itself through as a genuinely fantastic RPG with innovative multiplayer aspects and a satisfying challenge you're unlikely to find in most other games.  

God of War 3.

Extreme Action Hack n Slash - The climatic end to one of the Playstation's most memorable trilogies, God of Wars gives more brutal combat and platforming puzzles all in it's trademark high quality graphics. 

LittleBigPlanet.

Custom content driven Platformer puzzle game - The Playstations 3 poster title, LittleBigPlanet gives an almost limitless amount of customisation for you to create your own levels or just play through the millions of themed levels other players have created.    

Modnation Racers.

Custom Content driven Kart Racer - Much like LittleBigPlanet before it, Modnation races strives on the imagination its community can muster. Now with dozens of player made karts, drivers and maps there's an endless supply of content to fill this still fun kart racer. 

Valkyria Chronicles.

Turn based strategy JRPG - A WWII game with a JRPG style and deep strategy options. 

inFAMOUS. (Also available to download for Playstation Plus subscribers)

Open World SuperHero game - Essentially a splice between open world platforming and third person shooting, inFAMOUS gives alot of versatile freedom to traverse as you please through the engaging comic book style story. 

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift.

Dirt Racer - Chaotic and multiplayer engaging, you'll be pulling stunts mid air more often than you have to use the handbrake. 

Resistance 2. 

Fast Paced FPS - Improving upon the original in virtually every way, it also brings with it a cooperative eight player campaign that is unlike most cooperative gameplay you can find for the PS3. 

Ratchet and Clank: A Future Crack in Time.

Action driven Platformer - The last in the long running series for the popular platforming duo. 

Heavy Rain. 

Dark and gritty Adventure game - A game where every decision you make has consequences. 

Yakuza 3. 

Stylised and classy semi open-world brawler with a compelling story and plenty of Japanese charm.

Playstation 3 Classics: 

Uncharted: Drakes Fortune.

Action Adventure Third Person Shooter - The predecessor to the incredible Uncharted 2. A great start to learn about the Uncharted cast of heroes and is otherwise still a fun, and now cheap, 8 or so hours.

Heavenly Sword. 

Extreme action Hack n Slash - One of first games to really pull the PS3's weight, Heavenly Sword gives a gorgeous presentation with fluid and fast paced combat. 

Folklore.

Action Orientated JRPG - A mythically artistic RPG with some action elemental strength. 

Resistance: Fall of Man.

Fast Paced FPS - The PS3's answer to Halo, Resistance gives a run n gun shooter complete with cool alien weapons and a protagonist that barely talks. 

Warhawk.

Large Scale Multiplayer Only shooter - A large battlefield with plenty of vehicles to commandeer and players to kill. It's no mans land in HD.  

SIREN: Blood Curse.

Survival Horror - Survival based horror game with plenty of Asian influence. Control multiple characters across a tense and terrifying story.

PS2 HD Remakes: 

God of War Collection.

Extreme Action Hack n Slash - The original PS2 greats now brought forth to the PS3 with upscaled graphics and trophies.  

The Sly Collection. 

Action Adventure Platformer - The original PS2 greats now brought forth to the PS3 with upscaled graphics, trophies and even includes MOVE support. 

Prince of Persia 3D Collection. 

Action Adventure Platformer - The original PS2 greats now brought forth to the PS3 with upscaled graphics, trophies and can viewed in 3D. 

Tomb Raider Collection.

Action Adventure Platformer - The original PS2 greats now brought forth to the PS3 with upscaled graphics and trophies.

Multi-Platform Games Better Tweaked To The PS3:

Darksiders.

Open world Hack n Slash RPG - Suffers from abit of notable screen tearing on the 360. 

Final Fantasy XIII.

JRPG - Graphical and technically superior to 360 version. 

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. 

Open World RPG - Comes with most of the 360 DLC and has marginally improved graphics.

BioShock.

Horror themed FPS RPG - Comes with most of the 360 DLC packs already installed. 

Batman Arkham Asylum.

Action Adventure Brawler with strong stealth mechanics - Exclusive playable character, The Joker, for challenge rooms. 

Dragon Age: Origins.

Old school RPG - Graphically superior to 360 version though with a more unpredictable framerate, the PC version is still your best option given the possibility. 

Toy Story 3. 

Action Adventure based on the hit movie - Exclusive playable Zurg character for the PS3 version. 

Mafia 2.

Crime Themed open world game - Includes an exclusive DLC bonus mission strand. Though graphics are drastically sub-par to 360 and PC versions. 

Alone in The Dark: Inferno.

Action Adventure Shooter - Greatly increased technical aspects aswell a bonus chapter to the story. 

Eternal Sonata.

Classical music themed turn based JRPG - Includes exclusive content over the 360 version. 

Red Dead Redemption.

Western themed open world shooter - Contains an exclusive costume for the main character to wear. 

UFC Undisputed 2010.

Complex and competitive MMA Sim - Contains exclusive characters over the 360 version.

Notable Playstation Network Downloadable Games: 

Shatter. 

Colourful brick breaking Puzzler.  ($8 - £4.79)

Super Stardust HD.

Isometric space themed Dual Stick Shooter set. ($8 - £6.29)

Burn Zombie Burn.

Isometric zombie themed Dual Stick Shooter. ($10 - £6.29)

Trine. 

Cooperative Side Scrolling Puzzler with a dark fantasy theme. ($15 - £8)

Pixel Junk: Shooter.

Dual Stick Shooter that focuses mostly on puzzles. ($10 - £6.29)

Wipeout HD. 

Fast paced futuristic Racer. ($20 - £14) 

Wipeout HD Fury - The Complete Package. 

The full Wipeout HD game with added ships, tracks and game modes. ($25 - £18)

Flower. 

A unique peacefully sustained Adventure game. ($5 - £6.29)

Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty. 

Action driven Platformer - A short expansion beginning Ratchets search for Clank. ($15 - £12)

Joe Danger.

Side Scrolling stunt racer - Colourful and brisk art design letting the player let loose a load of impressive, death defying motocross stunts. ($15 - £8)

Trash Panic.

Classic Puzzler akin to Tetris - Just as addictive as it's unofficial predecessor, it's one to surely get the gears turning up above. ($5 - £4) 

Fat Princess.

Team focused action adventure - A goofy and gory take on the classic Capture the Flag mode with multiple character classes to choose from. ($15 - £8) 

Fat Princess: Fat Roles.

Team focused action adventure - The game's first pack adding new unique classes for players to bring into the battlefield. ($5 - £8)

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue.

Racing Sim - One of the best franchises racing sim game's have to offer, with a load of realistically animated vehicles and real life track mimics. ($30 - £20) 

Crescent Pale Mist. 

Action Platformer. ($6 - £3.99) 

Noby Noby Boy. 

Abstract and just plain weird physics based Action Adventure game - Play as Boy and see how far you can stretch. ($8.78 - £3.19)

Most Popular Playstation 1 Classics Available to Download: 

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By recroulette

Some recommendations and opinions

At this point in the lifecycle, I would probably take Heavenly Sword and Uncharted 1.
    If you buy a new system, you want as much variety as possible I would assume, Heavenly Sword doesn't play as well as it did at launch.
    And you can have a ton of fun with Uncharted 2 without playing the first one.

Super Stardust is better than Burn Zombie Burn.
    Where the hell is Shatter on that list?

Looking through my PSN list for PSN games to add to your list though, ill add more
    Edit, alright, a lot of PSN stuff is garbage. Haha, but I think PixelJunk Eden would be a good add to that.
     And I would still put Little Big Planet on that list even though the sequel will be out soon, since everything carries over, and it's cheap right now.

LAST EDIT: For the PS1 classics, you should add a note that Vagrant Story and Driver aren't available in the US.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Cheers for the tips! I just knew there was plenty I was missing but I'd want to least get the starter version posted =P

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By Icemael

Valkyria Chronicles needs to be among the highlights.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

awesome list! and i started to think that all the PS3 had was 6-7 games 

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

I dunno how people can get this far into this gen--and post on video game message boards no less--yet be completely clueless on what games to get for their new PS3. It's like they completely ignore the library until they get one.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#7  Edited By recroulette

No problem, at least this SHOULD end the "What games should I buy?" topics.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By scarace360

super street fighter 4.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Abyssfull: dude inFamous
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Grissefar

Valkyria Chronicles belongs in the highlights.

inFamous is also a fun game.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Gaff
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Abyssfull: dude inFamous "
    DUDE!!!! YOU'RE RIGHT!!
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By dbz1995

Toy Story 3 has Zurg as a playable character exclusive to PS3.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gaff

Also, a nifty idea (if not create more work!) would be to have an regularly updated "THE FUTURE!" section that keeps track of upcoming, highly anticipated PS3 exclusive titles, such as inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, err. Journey? Twisted Metal? Eugh, I suck at keeping track of new releases.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Yummylee
    @Gaff said:
    " Also, a nifty idea (if not create more work!) would be to have an regularly updated "THE FUTURE!" section that keeps track of upcoming, highly anticipated PS3 exclusive titles, such as inFamous 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, err. Journey? Twisted Metal? Eugh, I suck at keeping track of new releases. "
    Pretty neat idea, though now I wish there could be others who could edit it along with me so I don't miss anything D=
    Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Druminator

Keep this up dude.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Bigrhyno

I don't know how strong the community is since I haven't played in a while, but I'd add Warhawk.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By gamb1t

id say lets make a thread like this for 360 but whats the point? just gunna be halo and gears of war oh ya my mistake forza (garbage game anyways)

Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie

Marvel vs Capcom 2? God Of War Collections? Warhawk? Ratchet and Clank? Fallout 3 GOTY Edition?

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By DXmagma

so i should definately get pixeljunk shooter? good, my hunch is confirmed.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By Sooperspy

Silent Hill isn't a popular PSone Classic?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Yummylee
    @Redbullet685 said:

" Silent Hill isn't a popular PSone Classic? "

It was taken off the EURO PS store. So I take it it's still up on the US?
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EVO
    @DXmagma said:
    " so i should definately get pixeljunk shooter? good, my hunch is confirmed. "
    Yes.

@eunao2 said:
    " Is joe danger a psn exclusive? "
    Yes.
    " you should also add Heavy rain "
    Fuck yes.
    dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#26  Edited By dudacles

Someone should make one for the 360 as well. I've only recently bought a PS3, and although I already about many of the quality games on it, it's nice to see a structured list compiling all of them, to remind me of stuff that I've missed. Thanks for this.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#27  Edited By Jazz

Guilty Gear is available on EU PSN? 
    Since when?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gaff
    @Jazz: Jan 7th 2010, apparently. 

Also, I heard people like the Yakuza series. And Final Fantasy Versus 13 (whenever that may come out). How was 3D dot Game Heroes

Drawing blanks when thinking of recommendable PS3 exclusive titles at the moment.
    kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kagekage

For the Multi-Platform games better suited for the PS3, you should add UFC: Undisputed 2010
    Exclusive characters (*ahem*Royce Gracie*ahem*) and some of the UFC's greatest fights.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By gingertastic_10

How about listing the prices for the PSN games? Might help people make a better decision. Trash Panic needs to be added! One of my personal favorites. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Yummylee
    @gingertastic_10 said:
    " How about listing the prices for the PSN games? Might help people make a better decision. Trash Panic needs to be added! One of my personal favorites.  "
    That'll take a lil work. I'm UKish afterall ;P So I'll have to rummage around to find out the US pricing to go with it.
    Avatar image for gingertastic_10
    gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#32  Edited By gingertastic_10
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @gingertastic_10 said:
    " How about listing the prices for the PSN games? Might help people make a better decision. Trash Panic needs to be added! One of my personal favorites.  "
    That'll take a lil work. I'm UKish afterall ;P So I'll have to rummage around to find out the US pricing to go with it. "
    Didn't even think about that. I'm full of bad ideas :/
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By luce
    @Abyssfull: 
    About Dragon Age

The multi-console release turned out to be a trade off between the ps3 version (better graphics, shitty framerate) and the xbox360 version (gimped graphics, better framerate) with the PC version obviously being superior. 

Other than that, great list!
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Yummylee
    @gingertastic_10:  
    Well it's done regardless 8) Me browsing around also brought some other games to my attention that need to be on the list, too. 

Christ..I should really get around to placing up the PS3 exclusive game's DLC aswell @.@
    dyslekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dyslekt

Grate list duder! 

But feel LBP and PixelJunk Eden should be there. Eden is my best PSN. But then again your list:) Good work!

kingclaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kingclaw
    @Abyssfull:  Where is the new Twisted Metal?
    Dblock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dblock

Excellent list. I just got PS3 and I currently own 4 games. Uncharted 2, Killzone2, Mafia 2, Toystory 3.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Red12b

I didn't even know this was a thing, awesome. 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By ESREVER
    @Abyssfull:
    Can I suggest a PSN game? I think the game Crescent Pale Mist is worthy of being added to the Notable PSN releases. It's only $6 and its just a great game with plenty of replay value. It just his NA PSN this past Tuesday. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yummylee
    @ESREVER said:
    " @Abyssfull: Can I suggest a PSN game? I think the game Crescent Pale Mist is worthy of being added to the Notable PSN releases. It's only $6 and its just a great game with plenty of replay value. It just his NA PSN this past Tuesday.  "
    Added, cheers!
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Raymayne

No mention of Noby Noby Boy is frankly ridiculous. The PS3 really doesn't have much, you need to pad this list out a bit. Throw Siren Blood Curse in there too.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Siphillis

It should be further noted that Red Dead Redemption is a greatly compromised port for the PlayStation 3.  Conversely, Vanquish is a easy recommendation, especially since it was chiefly designed with the PS3 as its "lead platform."

daitheflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By daitheflu

Heavy Rain is starting to get PS3 GOTY awards.  If you haven't played that one yet get on it.

Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Fontan

Don't know if someone mentioned this already, but don't forget the Prince of Persia Trilogy HD remake.

daitheflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By daitheflu

After getting a couple more Move controllers over Christmas: The Fight has now been upgraded from good to "must play".

Echofoxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Echofoxz

I don't know if someone has mention this, but Comet Crash should be on that list, that game is really good.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By louiedog

Thanks for this thread. I just won a PS3 and this is a great resources listing all of the exclusives I've had my eye on for the past few years. It's saving me a lot of time not having to dig through reviews and release lists looking for the highest rated stuff. And, no, I wouldn't have created a topic otherwise. I hate when people post stuff like that. I came into the PS3 forum assuming someone else had and I would leech off of it. This is even better.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By jkuc316

LA Noire should be in here, as PS3 is lead platform and has exclusive DLC

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Hizang

This could do with an update.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Masha2932

You should add LA Noire on the multi platform list-It runs better on ps3 according to most reviews

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.