Okay, when will developers stop copying Call Of Duty?

#1 Edited by conantheking (52 posts) -

So there's a trailer for the new Call of Juarez game, it no longer takes place in the old west but now in a modern day setting. I'm betting that the multi player will include levelling up, challenges, weapon unlocks etc.

I'm getting sick of this, just about every FPS game is copying these features where you have to heavily invest time before you can finally use that gun you like. If I wanted some progressive multi player experience I'd buy Call Of Duty (Which I do) because they do it best, when I buy a different game I want a different experience and not some Chinese pirate knock off imitation. Gosh, Duke Nukem Forever kept me entertained a long time, that horrible game which still copied the whole levelling thing but at least it felt different without class customisation. It just seems so lame that everyone copies these features, and it's not like it works, COD still at the end of the day just owns in terms of sales and brand loyalty.

It is tiring that every multi player game requires you to sink in a heavy amount of time, your thoughts?

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

I get to be the first poster to act cool and tell you that you're a whiner and that you need to relax and live in the now? YAY 

You're a whiner, you're uncool, you have to be laid back, take whatever developers throw at you and love it. Ok loser ?

#3 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

When Call of Duty stops making idiotic amounts of money.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

when there is something better

#5 Posted by conantheking (52 posts) -
@BulletproofMonk said:
And that is why it makes no sense. At first other developers saw that Call Of Duty 4 gave a very unique experience and soon they were all trying to copy it. But years later, Black Ops still dominates and every other imitator (Crysis 2, Killzone 3, Medal Of Honour etc) has failed to gain a bigger piece of the pie, they would be better just sticking to their own thing.
#6 Posted by Vinny_Says (5686 posts) -

when the next big thing comes along and leaves CoD in the dust

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35993 posts) -

Just give it time.

#8 Posted by supermonkey122 (811 posts) -
#9 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

My money is still on a Timesplitters 4 (perhaps on the next generation consoles) blowing that crappy warshooter hysteria clean out of the window.

If not, I'm still happy with other games that aren't CoD.

#10 Edited by AvengerX13 (2 posts) -

It seems like Battlefield 3 is going to be a lot like Call of Duty, and that really bugs me.  No prone in multiplayer? Seriously? These companies know they're going to sell a lot of games if they cater to the run-and-gun crowd, so that's obviously why they're selling them. Battlefield 3 is basically Modern Warfare 3, but with tanks, helicopters, and jets. I don't mind these run-and-gun games either; they're good if you have a little extra time to waste, and you just want to squeeze in a quick match; but I really do miss those old Ghost Recon games. Ghost Recon required strategy and teamwork. Kill/Death ratios didn't matter in Ghost Recon either... staying alive and completing the mission was all that mattered.

#11 Posted by shiftplusone (48 posts) -

Battlefield 3 is going to allow you to go prone, they've shown it in trailers. BC2 didn't but BF3 will

#12 Posted by moonpix (81 posts) -

dude, play Team Fortress 2

#13 Posted by MrXD (240 posts) -
@sinbad said:

dude, play Team Fortress 2

agreed
#14 Edited by Loose (419 posts) -

When the market for CoD-esque shooters has become sufficiently over-saturated.

Remember when every shooter was ripping off Halo? And remember before that when every goddamn shooter was set in WWII? All you can do is wait it out.

#15 Posted by lebkin (330 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

@Loose said:

When the market for CoD-esque shooters has become sufficiently over-saturated. Remember when every shooter was ripping off Halo? And remember before that when every goddamn shooter was set in WWII? All you can do is wait it out.

Some combination of these two. As the market saturates, one of two things will happen. Either CoD will stop making so much money as it gets spread out or all the competitors will move on to something else. The first will cause companies to copy who ever IS making the most money, which by default will not be CoD.

The key thing is that it will simply take time. Patience will get you want you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.