Playstation 4 rumored for 2012, with Kinect-like controls

#1 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Article here.

Personally I really hope they don't go down that route, seeing as how the Kinect controls seem a bit janky, but then again I don't know how reliable the source is. I doubt they'd get rid of regular controller support though so I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run.

Looking forward to getting a new console in 2012 though! Let's hope it's true!

#2 Posted by ajamafalous (12028 posts) -

Anyone who spells their name "Jeffry" isn't a source I want to concern myself with.

#3 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@ajamafalous: Well "Jeffry" got his info from Digitimes but that article is restricted to members only for some reason

#4 Posted by BrianMcBride (28 posts) -

They would have already had to have given notice to 3rd parties... no way this is true
#5 Edited by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

Hahahahahahahahahaha no.

#6 Posted by conantheking (52 posts) -

I love video games, play them loads but really liked the fact that the 360 and PS3 have lasted for much more than 5 years, I really hope it lasts for much longer. These consoles have a lot more to show us.

#7 Posted by CptBedlam (4453 posts) -

You are aware this rumor is weeks old and has propably been discussed to death on every single video game website?

#8 Posted by Twitchey (865 posts) -
@conantheking: Not really. With BF3 and Skyrim coming out I think were pushing the consoles to their limit. We are approaching the time for new consoles and I'm glad for it. It just means I have to save some money until then.
#9 Posted by JonathanMoore (1858 posts) -
@Twitchey said:
@conantheking: Not really. With BF3 and Skyrim coming out I think were pushing the consoles to their limit. We are approaching the time for new consoles and I'm glad for it. It just means I have to save some money until then.
Eh. I can see another two years of life in the current gen. At least I hope so, my wallet will thank them.
#10 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

You are aware this rumor is weeks old and has propably been discussed to death on every single video game website?

It was the first I heard of it though. I found nothing in the Giant Bomb PS3-forums discussing it and searching the forums for "PS4" I found no results relating to this news. Hence I brought it up.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

Nope.

#12 Posted by iDarktread (1206 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
Anyone who spells their name "Jeffry" isn't a source I want to concern myself with.
#13 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19367 posts) -

Nope.

#14 Posted by BackupPanic (116 posts) -

I'm with the fancy lookin' krogan. 

Jeffrys are not to be trusted . . . .

#15 Posted by TooWalrus (13232 posts) -

Yeah... well since all of my favorite developers are hard at work on current-gen games, I highly doubt there would be any titles ready for a new system next year.

#16 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Double nope.

#17 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

@iDarktread said:

@ajamafalous said:

@BackupPanic said:

I'm with the fancy lookin' krogan. Jeffrys are not to be trusted . . . .

Again, the original source was Digitimes. Not "Jeffry". I just couldn't find a direct link to it.

#18 Edited by BackupPanic (116 posts) -
@Galiant said:

@iDarktread said:

@ajamafalous said:

@BackupPanic said:

I'm with the fancy lookin' krogan. Jeffrys are not to be trusted . . . .

Again, the original source was Digitimes. Not "Jeffry". I just couldn't find a direct link to it.

Even still, I just don't buy Sony pullin' a u-turn when there just now in the last 3-4 years making significant bank on the PS3. 

Can't say I'm that keen on the next generation of consoles comin' this soon either, but that's neither here nor there.
#19 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

Didn't Sony AND Microsoft say at E3 that they will NOT be releasing new consoles in 2012? 

IMO, 2014 would be the best bet, but even then, I certainly won't rush out and spend thousands on it. Plus, if PS4 becomes like a Sony Kinect, I will stop gaming on consoles. 

Funk that shit...

#20 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

wrong and gets the prize stupidest rumor yet.

#21 Posted by Loose (419 posts) -
@ajamafalous said:
Leave it to a dapper Krogan to tell it like it is.
#22 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

i don't think so. i hope that it last longer than this because i love my current generation consoles.

#23 Posted by The_Nubster (2253 posts) -

The people who are just saying "lolno" seem harsh. Lay up, guys, seriously. 

I don't think this is the case, but I don't doubt that some serious brainstorming is going on at Sony right now. Integrating Kinect controls directly tot he platform could be really awesome, as long as it isn't forced into games. The functionality of Kinect is mind-blowing, if not the integration thus far.  

Like @iam3green said, I kind of like my current consoles. I don't really have the money to drop on another one so soon, and I think there's still a lot going for current-gen consoles. 

#24 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

When I play games, I want to chill on the couch and relax and enjoy it; NOT to basically exercise in my living room waving arms about under the pretense of playing videogames. 

If i want to wave my arms around, and /or exercise, or box, I will do it outside... not in my fuckin living room.

#25 Posted by MarchelloZ (6 posts) -

It would be a stupid move from Sony, but i dont think this rumor is true

#26 Posted by alternate (2713 posts) -

To get a console out for 2012 with no production ramping up or dev units in the wild seems highly unlikely.

#27 Posted by Castiel (2661 posts) -

I'm guessing the earliest release date for PS4 would be sometime in 2013, with an announcement next year at E3.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

No way is a PS4 coming out next year, I if they announce one next year at E3 it would still be till like 2014-15 till we get it.

#29 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Twitchey said:
I don't think the majority of console gamers would agree with you.  In fact, it's mostly PC gamers asking for the new generation, because they feel it's holding modern games back.
#30 Posted by katmandu912 (31 posts) -

I think we'll get it in 2013-2014.  NO kinect lol.

#31 Posted by LostFlock (86 posts) -

2012 seems too soon for the PS4, I had my PS3 for a couple years now and it still feels like yesterday that i picked it up, 2013 announcement of new consoles and late 2014-early 2015 release seems like the right time for release.

#32 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

I don't think we'll see new Microsoft or Sony home consoles in 2012. They may get announced at E3 2012, but they definitely won't launch that year. I'd say earliest would be 2013. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have enough power and features (with Kinect and Move) to match the Wii U. This is sad on Nintendo's part, considering the Wii U is a brand-new console, but oh well.

#33 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2130 posts) -

I would love to see some great news of new consoles next year, but hey they are all rumours so I'll just wait for the next E3 to see which company fires first with the next-gen hardware.

#34 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5301 posts) -

#35 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -

I really don't want to imagine a future where everything is kinect controlled.

#36 Posted by believer258 (11979 posts) -

If all consoles in the future are going to be motion controlled, or have a large motion control component, then I will gladly join the ranks of the PC Master Race. 

Besides, Windows 8 is supposed to be able to play 360 games. There isn't much I care for on PS3. Sooooo, if this is true then it's just a minor setback for me. 

Well, except for my wallet. I don't have the money for a gaming PC at the moment and I don't see that happening anytime in the near future. Like, for the next four or five years future. I hope my Xbox lasts that long...

I don't think this is real, anyway. There's a large segment of the market that still very much enjoys regular controllers, and alienating them would be a stupid, stupid, stupid mistake. I know we're talking about corporations here, but I just don't see it happening. Wishful thinking speaking, perhaps? 

Oh, wait, the PS Vita! Fuck PC gaming, I'll go portable.

#37 Posted by DystopiaX (5333 posts) -

@The_Nubster said:

I don't think this is the case, but I don't doubt that some serious brainstorming is going on at Sony right now. Integrating Kinect controls directly tot he platform could be really awesome, as long as it isn't forced into games. The functionality of Kinect is mind-blowing, if not the integration thus far.

Like @iam3green said, I kind of like my current consoles. I don't really have the money to drop on another one so soon, and I think there's still a lot going for current-gen consoles.

It would be a dumb move IMO, the Wii and Kinect have proved that motion controls can drive hardware sales, but they can't drive software sales. A bulk of their money is usually made on games so it wouldn't be as successful IMO.

#38 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

2012? Really? As in next year? As in, if it were a real thing, someone at Sony would have said something official by now?

#39 Posted by The_Nubster (2253 posts) -
@DystopiaX said:

@The_Nubster said:

Like @iam3green said, I kind of like my current consoles. I don't really have the money to drop on another one so soon, and I think there's still a lot going for current-gen consoles.

It would be a dumb move IMO, the Wii and Kinect have proved that motion controls can drive hardware sales, but they can't drive software sales. A bulk of their money is usually made on games so it wouldn't be as successful IMO.

Yeah, that's probably the case. A lot of gamers don't want motion controls in their videogames, and the software for these motion games hasn't been that impressive, for the most part.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.