Playstation Looking to use Vita like a WiiU game pad

#1 Edited by jcali (30 posts) -
#2 Posted by Niall_Sg1 (362 posts) -

I don't think the Vita has sold enough to warrant implementation of this feature.

#3 Posted by ProfessorEss (7398 posts) -

Sony seems to have developed a bad habit of "responding" this generation.

I also think that: "Playstation found it's "response" to the WiiU's unique gamepad feature" would be a more appropriate placement for those quotation marks.

#4 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2157 posts) -

I'm sure developers will be clamoring to add this new feature for all those Vita owners out there.

#5 Posted by Spoonman671 (4648 posts) -

Haven't they kind of already been doing that?

#6 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

I was wondering what that Cross-Controller icon was for.

That said, there's only one kind of game that I'd like to see this stuff used for, and that's something like Four Swords.

#7 Posted by GalacticPunt (1060 posts) -

We Vita owners are both looking forward to this feature!

#8 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

They've had this type of feature on the PSP(and Vita since it was released) for SingStar for years.

#9 Posted by algertman (852 posts) -

@Niall_Sg1 said:

I don't think the Vita has sold enough to warrant implementation of this feature.

Biggest problem. WiiU comes that way out of the box Vita/PS3 requires you to buy 2 separate pieces of hardware.

#10 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2811 posts) -

As with a lot of things Sony does, you COULD do it. To be honest I think much like motion controls ..maybe be less so...there will not be a need to use the functionality. My theory with all systems is that you should try to make sure you PC, console, whatever can do as much as possible; yet it should all be optional in terms of what developers utilize. If Sony were smart they would create a Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7 application that the PS4 can talk to that use wi-fi, Bluetooth NF, and IR. That way any tablet, smartphone or laptop can act as a secondary control, secondary screen, or whatever. Nothing new to buy in most cases for most people; if you don't own a tablet, smartphone, or even a laptop then you probably would care anyway. The idea is to make it super flexible and have a middle-ware system for PS4 that nearly any developer can use that provides low latency video, low latency controller input. Yet, it should be robust enough to use the cameras, GPS, and any other sensors on the phone too.

#11 Posted by Levius (1142 posts) -

This would only work if Sony is willing to pack in a Vita with every PS3/4, which won't happen. My guess is that most games using interaction between vita and consoles will be Sony exclusives, and even then it will be an afterthought.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.