Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Playstation Network Download Management Atrocious.

Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Chokobo

I just recently started to delve into the Playstation Store while my 360 account is locked while they investigate unauthorized access.  Anyway, I thought, "Hey, the Mortal Kombat demo is out, I'll get that.  520MB, sweet!  20 minutes from now I'll be ripping dudes in half!  :D"  Start the DL and it says, "120 minutes left."  Okay,maybe it's just measuring the startup download rate."  5 minutes later it tells me "140 minutes left."  No worries, I'll just go download a much smaller demo, like Trash Panic.  I've always wanted to play that and it's only 200 MB.  "210 minutes left: 10% complete"  -_-  That coupled with the fact that background downloading isn't just activated by default is totally killing my desire to do anything downloadable on PS3.

I don't know if this is a widespread thing or not or if there are any ways to speed up downloads to tolerable levels.  Any advice?

Avatar image for endlessobsidian
    EndlessObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By EndlessObsidian

I have a 15 mb/s download and neeeeeever have had the ps3 download speed issues that I hear some people speak of. I have never waited more than 20 minutes for ANY download on the PS3.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

A wired connection should help. 

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By smitty86
    Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Chokobo

I have a 12MB/sec connection.

I do use wireless, so I suppose that's the problem.  Do it only because My roommates wouldn't appreciate ethernet cables running down the hall.  Ah, the plight of apartment only being outfitted with one cable port.  Guess I'll just have to deal with it.

myfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By myfriend

is your connection optimized? you should put your PS3 on DMZ and optimize your DNS servers using DNS benchmarker :) Heck here in the Philippines I only have 1mbps wired and my downloads arent as bad as that lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.