Playstation Plus February, Final Fantasy V free!!

#1 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

After January's somewhat lackluster Plus offerings February, in my opinion, is hitting it out of the park. First off Final Fanrasy V for free, a game I've always wanted to play and was tempted to buy not to long ago, along with Far Cry 2 and The Simpsons Arcade Game along with some other free stuff. The sales are ok but those tend to change as the month goes on so I'm expecting more. Here is a link to the official Playstation Blog post if you want to read more.

PS3 Full Games:Far Cry 2 – 2/14 (V-Day Special One Week Offer)
PSN Games:The Simpsons Arcade Game – 2/7
Sega Genesis Bundle – 2/21
Altered Beast – 2/21
Comix Zone – 2/21
Golden Axe – 2/21
Sonic 1 – 2/21
Sonic 2 – 2/21
Streets of Rage 2 – 2/21
Battle Fantasia – 2/14
Fatal Inertia – 2/14
Hamsterball – 2/14
Inferno Pool – 2/7
Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom – 2/14
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars – 2/14
minis:Hungry Giraffe – 2/7
Gold Medalist – 2/7
PS one Classics:Final Fantasy V – 2/7
Full Game Trials:Grand Theft Auto IV – 2/14
Deus Ex: Human Revolution – 2/21
Tom Clancy’S H.A.W.X 2 -2/21
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 -2/28
Early Access Demo:The House Of The Dead III Exclusive Playstation Plus Demo – 2/7
Media:Qore Episode 44 – February – 2/7
Avatars and Themes:The House of the Dead 3 Dynamic Theme
Start The Party 2 Dynamic Theme – 2/21
The House Of The Dead III – Agent G Avatar
The House Of The Dead III – Lisa Avatar
The House Of The Dead III – Z1 Avatar
PSN GamesGrand Theft Auto IV: The Complete Edition (Bundle) – 2/14 (PS+ Price: $23.99)
The House of the Dead III – 30% off Crazy Taxi & SEGA Rally Arcade – Drive Me Crazy Bundle – 20% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $9.59)
Sonic Rivals 1 – 25% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $5.99)
Sonic Rivals 2 – 25% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $5.99)
Sar – Search and Rescue Mini – 20% off – 2/21 (PS+ Price $TBD)
Hamilton’s Great Adventure – 50% off Sale Price – 2/21 (PS+ Price $2.50)
#2 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Well not free as you pay over 50 a year for nothing as I can tell, plus it gets taken off when you stop subscribing.

#3 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

I thought everybody ever already owned FFIV, V and VI. Guess i was wrong.

#4 Posted by SMTDante89 (2563 posts) -

Good to finally have a solid release date for The Simpsons Arcade Game too.

#5 Edited by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Well not free as you pay over 50 a year for nothing as I can tell, plus it gets taken off when you stop subscribing.

I just think of it as XBL Gold, it's not necessary but for certain services it's worth it. For me the automatic updates, cloud saves and games are worth it for me as I am somewhat of a heavy user. Also, like Gold, if you wait around you can find deals for Plus subscription. I'm covered until 2013 because there was a pay $50 for 16 months deal awhile back.

#6 Posted by Yummylee (21498 posts) -

I just wish I could adapt to the ways of ye olden JRPGs... I bought FFVI a few weeks back, put in like 3 hours (got up to when you meet the guy with the sword skills) and haven't gone back in since. The battles are so static (especially when compared to Chrono Trigger), the pixel art is at least cute but the character portraits are ugly as sin, and the world map is such a chore to traverse across =(.

#7 Posted by Bocam (3713 posts) -

Which one is 5 again? The one with the cross dressing pirate?

#8 Posted by Demoskinos (14757 posts) -

Oh shit. Even better the simpsons are getting a PSN release?!

#9 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

I just think of it as XBL Gold, it's not necessary but for certain services it's worth it. For me the automatic updates, cloud saves and games are worth it for me as I am somewhat of a heavy user. Also, like Gold, if you wait around you can find deals for Plus subscription. I'm covered until 2013 because there was a pay $50 for 16 months deal awhile back.

I love how this service was so low on features that "Automatic Updates" is one of the selling points.

#10 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Which one is 5 again? The one with the cross dressing pirate?

That'd be Faris, yes. V is the best Final Fantasy, if you ask me. At least in terms of gameplay. VI probably beats it in the story department. But man, Final Fantasy V is so fucking awesome.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior Yeah for the average user it's not really a great selling point. I've enjoyed it for the most part however, haven't had to wait for a patch or system update in months. I'd be surprised what other services they try to offer with Plus as some of the subscription incentive. They can't take away features, like online play or Netflix and TV services, already offered to everyone so they'd have to gin up a pretty good feature for Plus that everyone wants.
#12 Posted by mosespippy (4112 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

With 4 player online coop!

It's gonna be a good month.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

awww fuck ya simpson arcade game and FF5 this is great.

#14 Posted by N7 (3580 posts) -

Well shit. Now I kind of HAVE to finish Far Cry 2.

That game is my worst enemy.

#15 Edited by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

I really hope these are the same deals for EU. They sometimes differ a bit. Always gets announced a day or two later, too!

EDIT: Yeah, we get that too! For any UK/EU folks...

From February 1st:

• The Simpsons Arcade – 100% off

You save £7.99/€9.99

• Final Fantasy V (PSone Classic) – 100% off

You save £7.99/€9.99

• Hungry Giraffe (minis) – 100% off

You save £2.49/€2.99

• Farm Frenzy (minis) – 100% off

You save £2.49/€2.99

• Sonic Adventure – 50% off

You save £3.15/€4.00

• Sonic Adventure DX Upgrade – 100% off

You save £3.19/€3.99

• Rayman: Origins – 50% off until 08/02/12

You save £24.00/€30.00

Second Chance Offer!:

SEGA Megadrive Classics:

• Sonic the Hedgehog – 100% off
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – 100% off
  • Golden Axe – 100% off
  • Streets of Rage 2 – 100% off
  • Altered Beast – 100% off
  • Comix Zone – 100% off

You save £24.00/€30.00

• Jellybeans Dynamic Theme – 100% off

You save £1.59/€1.99

• Skulls Dynamic Theme – 100% off

You save £1.59/€1.99

• Rayman: Origins Globox Toe-Grab Avatar – 100% off
  • Rayman: Origins Darktoon Avatar – 100% off
  • Rayman: Origins Baby Dragon Avatar – 100% off

You save £1.20/€1.50

Still to come later this month:

• Far Cry 2 – 100% off for one week

You save £15.99/€19.99

• Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment – 75% off

You save £7.50/€9.75

• House of the Dead 3 (Move) – 30% off for two weeks

You save £1.45/€1.79

• Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory – 50% off for one week

You save £12.00/€15.00

#16 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@bibamatt From what I've seen the EU deals differ from the NA ones regularly. Sometimes they are better and other times they are worse. What was the best deal for EU so far as you know? For NA free Stacking the day it was released was probably the best surprise/deal.
#17 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@msavo: Yeah, that was a crazy good offer. I'm not 100% sure on the best UK ones. I've only been a subscriber for three months and those months have been largely the same between regions. A few months ago we didn't get all the Spyro PS One games, we got Cool Boarders instead. LOVED Cool Boarders back in the day and have no love for Spyro, so that was cool. Kinda shitty to only get one game where the US got three (or four maybe?).

#18 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:

and the world map is such a chore to traverse across =(.

But they give you so much freedom man! You can just roam around wherever you want! 

God I hate world maps so much.
#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@bibamatt Aw dude Rayman: Origins for 50% off is a hell of a deal. I hope that comes to North America.
#20 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@msavo: Aw, you can buy it in the shops for less than that at the moment. The offer makes it £24. You can pick it up for around £15 at the moment. Still, if you like digital distribution, it's a killer deal!

#21 Edited by Yummylee (21498 posts) -

@Zenaxzd said:

@Abyssfull said:

and the world map is such a chore to traverse across =(.

But they give you so much freedom man! You can just roam around wherever you want! God I hate world maps so much.

I usually don't have much bother towards world maps; I had no quarrels with getting around FFVII's. But in FFVI, the map is so annoyingly archaic, some locations like caves are so badly illustrated when they're mushed in with the rest of the mountains, and none of the locations even tell you just what it is you're entering until you're in there. Plus it's fucking hilarious when you ride on a chocobo... I mean I know the game's old, but I didn't think it was back when we all thought the world was flat :P

I don't doubt that FFVI is a stellar game for its time, but for me personally it's just so damn dated in so many areas that I'm just not having any fun. Which is a shame because it's one of those games I'd like to have under my belt; it's one of those ''historic'' titles you kinda want to beat just to join the rest of the world.

#22 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@Abyssfull: It is actually a bit of a shame, for as much as I hate agreeing with those folks who have their nostalgia goggles on too tight 6 is probably my third favorite in the series. It's quite the excellent game. Stupid encounter rate was too high though.
#23 Posted by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

I'm surprised there isn't any Vita stuff. If it had Escape Plan or Sound Shapes for free that might sell me a subscription.

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

@DonutFever: They've said Playstation Plus is coming to Vita but not at launch. I suspect they'll probably roll it out once the 2012 holiday season comes around to tempt people who didn't get it at launch.

#25 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

I wonder if free Vita stuff will be another layer of free things or if they will cut content elsewhere (like less PSN games for some vita games, or stuff like that). Not really something I feel like I can predict when it comes to Sony.

#26 Posted by Redbullet685 (6034 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

@Demoskinos said:

With 4 player online coop!

It's gonna be a good month.

We should definitely play it together, @mosespippy

#27 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Getting PS Plus has been a great value for me. I must have gotten at least four times the value in things I actually wanted from it over the last year or so.

#28 Posted by Yadilie (380 posts) -

House of the Dead 3 (Move) – 30% off for two weeks

HYPE HYPE HYPE.

#29 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

none of this stuff is free since you lose access to it if you stop paying for ps plus

#30 Posted by Branthog (7529 posts) -

Wait, what? GTA IV is a "PSOne Classic"?

#31 Posted by OMGITSJASON (15 posts) -

Since i run game blogs PSN+ has been a great source of games to play. Betas, full games (free or cheap), DLC etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.