Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Playstation Store Makeover screenshots

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By handlas

Saw this this morning; seems no one has posted anything about it... maybe? Haven't seen it on other gaming sites either so maybe it's not even legit... (edit: nevermind looks like joystiq posted it a little while after as well)

I'm mainly a PS user so it's nice to see the store get a fresh coat of paint. I like the aesthetics of the 360 dashboard more but the ads ruin it. Looks like PSN may be following suit but at least all the big picture ads are for games to purchase. I think it's about time... isn't this the first major overhaul of the store design? I can't really remember what it looked like when the PS3 first came out.

Via Videogamer.com

http://www.videogamer.com/features/gallery/this_is_the_new_playstation_store.html?sid=1551 (more screenshots there)

No Caption Provided
    davo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By davo

I remember the first version of the PlayStation Store being just a website, and it was ugly to look at and navigate.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wadtomaton

Yeah the current version definitely was not what it launched with. I don't mind the current setup but if they want to make it better, good on them.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By living4theday258

why did this remind me of the skyrim inventory menu?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi

That looks awful but hey... I don't hardly buy anything from PSN so won't have to deal with it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By awesomeusername

@handlas: Don't know when you made this thread but this story was on Gameinformer.com all day.

On topic, I think it looks much better then the current Store. Comes out the 23rd too so I can't wait to check it out.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By handlas

It is very dark... might just be dependent on what ads they use tho. Like now, they have different sort of themes that cover the background. Maybe not though because the white text has to show up on dark backgrounds I suppose.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dungbootle

I already think it looks way better functionally speaking.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas

@awesomeusername said:

@handlas: Don't know when you made this thread but this story was on Gameinformer.com all day.

On topic, I think it looks much better then the current Store. Comes out the 23rd too so I can't wait to check it out.

Ya it was on Videogamer this morning as well but no one seemed to care so thought I would post it up (I work all day so now is the time that I can!)...

I suppose I can't really say yay or nay to it until I see it in action tho.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By awesomeusername

@handlas said:

@awesomeusername said:

Ya it was on Videogamer this morning as well but no one seemed to care so thought I would post it up (I work all day so now is the time that I can!)...

I suppose I can't really say yay or nay to it until I see it in action tho.

EXCUSES! I'm joking. Makes sense though. I never really liked the layout for the PS Store, but this one looks neat and easier to scroll around according to the above picture.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilzrule27

Looks nice and clean. We'll see how it actually navigates. An despite the bland nature of the current store it's still probably the easiest of the consoles to actually find shit though that isn't saying much. Anywho don't fuck that up Sony.

ImaTreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImaTreee

looks alright

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Pudge

That looks like it makes a lot more sense then the current layout, I just hope they make it load a little faster. Nothing is more of a bummer then waiting minutes for your PS+ free games menu to load in pictures before you can hit anything.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By AngelN7

I like it not that I have any problem with the current one it's fairly easy to find stuff is just not intuitive enough.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

Looks ok. I don't know, I guess I'm kinda used to the current one.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By handlas

Ah well now the Playstation Blog has some better screenshots.

Ya... very much looking like the 360 dashboard there. And the place to get all your Resident Evil stuff! Oh Resident Evil 5 for free. Nice.

No Caption Provided
    Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Zella

Looks like they took notes from the 360 dash and even Google Play Market. When it comes to ads the current one is pretty heavy, like 75% of the main page is ads, so this one doesn't seem that bad.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By JasonR86

I don't care what it looks like. I just want it to be more responsive and faster.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PokeIkzai

About time. I'm kind of excited for a change. I really hope they reorganize the downloaded section because as of right now its a pain for me to just view what content I actually have.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i want my light blue back! and it hasn't even gone yet

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By damodar

Hopefully this will be a PSN wide thing and not just for certain stores. The Australian Store is TERRIBLE and has been for so long. It was depressing to go on the US store occasionally and see how much better that was in terms of the layout etc. The Australian one can be so hard to deal with, it's really poor.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By nightriff

As long as it navigates and loads quicker (probably won't) then I'm fine. The store has changed but not by much....

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Better, but still bland.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Hizang

Why won't they just keep it, it's fine as is, if it isn't broke don't fix it.
    Many people always complain about the store, but I have no problems. Reccently they fucked up the PS+ section, instead of showing you everything new with PS+ they sub categorise everything. That would be cool but there's no "What's New" section.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Phatmac

About time

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Sooty

It looks very Xbox-ey, same font?

I prefer the look of the old one already, just hope it actually improves some things unlike the 360 dashboards.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By crazyleaves

It looks great. I'm glad they're showing more art, the one gripe I have about the PSN store is it all looks like clip art. Weird, I know.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@Sooty: Ah man, hopefully I can find where the games are if its more xbox live.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Meltac

Fucking finally. No matter what they do, it won't be worse than the current store.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By djou

Although the design is important, I hope to God to they improve the search functionality.

Especially in terms of sorting your search results. The other day I was trying to buy a digital download on PSN for Little Big Planet 1 since I no longer have my physical copy, and the search results was spammed by a hundred LBP avatars I couldn't filter out. After 5 minutes I realized it wasn't even available.

My downloads list also has hundreds of downloads I can't sort. Even a basic alphabetical sort would help. Its completely stupid that the list appears chronological especially nowadays when games have multiple DLC packages that you are downloading over the course of months. I have 10+ Mass Effect downloads on my list. If I needed to download the game again it would make much more sense if I had the option to download game and DLC together instead of scrolling through the list and finding all the DLC/patches separately.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Marcsman

The PSN store is pretty bad. Navigating through it is a chore. It can only improve I hope.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By MooseyMcMan

But I liked the old one! Curses!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomeJerk

It's live in (most parts of) Europe now, looks nice fancy and up to date with other Sony stuff, quicker and easier to browse around than I expected. Intelligently designed, and it's so very nice to not see any ads or non-game stuff anywhere.

(Tokyo Jungle is the #3 best seller and wow, this is flat out faster to use than the past PSN store in many areas)

e: Cannot add credit cards or funds apparently?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Quarters

Looks cool.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Glad about this, I hate the current interface.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By sunie

The new Playstation Store is TERRIBLE!!

So I tried to see if the new Walking Dead episode was out, (live in the EU) but daunted by the new, obscure layout, I decided to use the search function. That didn't work well, since that only ended up listing Rock band songs with the word "Walk" in it. Weird, since they should at least list the previous episodes. So then I went to the Game add-on page (since the new episode is an add-on) and I couldn't find it, despite the fact the icon for the Walking Dead is RIGHT THERE on the add-on button! So I give up and decide to take a look at the new (full game) releases for the week. Turns out the new episode was there...

HOW! WHAT'S THIS I DON'T EVEN.

Also, when you wanna download things, you HAVE TO put it in the shopping cart and check all the items out as a whole. Maybe some focus test turned up that most users do that anyway but yech. since going through the shopping cart is a 5 button-press-process of getting your shit downloaded, it's just so sluggish.

UI design at its worst. They didn't even announce this change anywhere on the Playstation service, at all. Neither did my fav game sites so I'll have to assume Sony didn't release a press statement or anything. This and their import PSOne games not running on the speed they should (they run at 50hz, not 60 as ADVERTISED) make me wanna turn away from Sony and pass on the next console.

/endrant. (sorry, I'll calm the eff down now >.>)

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

Looks great.

HEAVILY influenced by Microsoft's Metro, but it looks great.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SomeJerk

This is not heavily influenced by metro or even slightly influenced by metro. This look and design has been used in the past, most recently by one of Sony's own PS3 video applets.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SomeJerk
    @Khessed said:
    This and their import PSOne games not running on the speed they should (they run at 50hz, not 60 as ADVERTISED) make me wanna turn away from Sony and pass on the next console.
    The way things are, right now they have to make sure everything can run on a 50hz CRT built long before 1995 over a composite video cable. With the next generation of PAL machines they have to chance of saying "thank you and good riddance" like Nintendo have with the WiiU, the first console to include a HDMI cable as a standard offer, and apparently as the only A/V cable. Backwards compatible online titles for PAL regions may remain 50hz in the next generation because France, Germany and Spain have something against learning the English language ever.
    sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sunie

@SomeJerk said:

@Khessed said:
    This and their import PSOne games not running on the speed they should (they run at 50hz, not 60 as ADVERTISED) make me wanna turn away from Sony and pass on the next console.
    The way things are, right now they have to make sure everything can run on a 50hz CRT built long before 1995 over a composite video cable. With the next generation of PAL machines they have to chance of saying "thank you and good riddance" like Nintendo have with the WiiU, the first console to include a HDMI cable as a standard offer, and apparently as the only A/V cable. Backwards compatible online titles for PAL regions may remain 50hz in the next generation because France, Germany and Spain have something against learning the English language ever.

See here's the thing. I'm talking about games PSN lists as being import games (US or Japan). Examples offered in the EU PSN store are Alundra, Klonoa and Tomba. They're advertised, in store, that they run at 60 hz cause that's how these imports are intended. They run at 50hz on the PS3 (HDMI) but 60hz on the PSP, appearantly. So they don't work as intended. I see your point but that's not the way Sony presents the whole thing. But that's a conversation best left in a different topic, not this one :)

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SomeJerk
    @Khessed: ohhh, I've seen that BS case of theirs brought up on other forums :(

For the lucky ones - The melodies we hummed of games in the past in Europe while growing up, were all 17.5% slower than what they were meant to be. We knew only our PAL 50hz timing, and not the correct timing things were meant to run on. We're willing to do a lot of dirty deeds to get our 60hz fix.
    sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sunie

@SomeJerk said:

@Khessed: ohhh, I've seen that BS case of theirs brought up on other forums :( For the lucky ones - The melodies we hummed of games in the past in Europe while growing up, were all 17.5% slower than what they were meant to be. We knew only our PAL 50hz timing, and not the correct timing things were meant to run on. We're willing to do a lot of dirty deeds to get our 60hz fix.

This, exactly. I was contemplating sending a PM to Patrick, see if he can't shed some light on the issue and maybe add some media pressure to the whole thing but I dunno if it would matter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.