PS1 Games Work... PS2 Games Don't... Thanks Sony!

• 60 results
#1 Edited by MatPaget (1115 posts) -

Now I understand why they did this. They're still manufacturing the PS2 so why wouldn't they make us buy both to enjoy both collections of games?

But they're stopping the manufacturing of the PS2 this or next year (my friend works for Sony and we were talking about this) so hopefully they give PS3 owners an update where we can play PS2 games on the PS3. Hell, I'll be happy even if they make you pay for it on the PSN (Free of charge for Plus users of course :P).

Either way I hope this changes now that the PS2 is going out of production.

I'm not 100% sure on this though, as I don't know if my friend got the right information or not.
Or maybe this is already old news that the PS2's getting discontinued.

#2 Posted by Undeadpool (4923 posts) -

It would require WAAAAY more than a patch to get PS2 games to play on the PS3. Most of the earlier models had PS2 hardware crammed into the PS3 case, hence why the "Slim" was so much "slimmer," so it's much more likely that they're simply going to start selling us PS2 games in the Playstation Store. Which is fine by me, I like digital distribution better.

#3 Edited by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I think they took out the PS2 compatibility to make the PS3 a little cheaper to produce. Even with the discontinuation of the PS2, I'm pretty sure it will be super easy to find one at a decent price on eBay or something. Also, I think Sony's manufacturing some sort of backward compatible add-on that you plug into the PS3. Or maybe that was all in my head.

#4 Posted by MatPaget (1115 posts) -
@Undeadpool: It recognizes PS2 games apart from other discs for example Xbox discs (if that means anything)

And I remember hearing a story about Sony researching into something PS3s already have that could enable PS2 playback
But again not 100% sure on the research thing as memory fades
#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -

I have a PS2 already.

#6 Posted by MatPaget (1115 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan: So do I
But I'd be happy to get rid of it so I can just play all my games on my PS3
#7 Posted by dudeglove (7740 posts) -
@Undeadpool said:
"It's much more likely that they're simply going to start selling us PS2 games in the Playstation Store. Which is fine by me, I like digital distribution better. "
#8 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

I'm pretty sure with that PSJailbreak thing you could play PS2 games. Why can't Sony.

#9 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5816 posts) -
@MatPaget said:
" @FancySoapsMan: So do I But I'd be happy to get rid of it so I can just play all my games on my PS3 "
I'd like that too, but only if they made it so that PS2 games don't look terrible in HD.
#10 Posted by Romination (2777 posts) -

The only solution to this is to go and play more Jumping Flash.

#11 Posted by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

Another thing to note is that even on consoles like mine that were released just after they had stopped making BC PS3's, there is an option for PS2 memory cards and it's still there. When I bought my PS3 I had thought there was going to be BC with mine, but I had just missed it and didn't know. I ended up being really pissed off when I got home.

#12 Posted by KamasamaK (2409 posts) -
@benpicko said:
" I'm pretty sure with that PSJailbreak thing you could play PS2 games. Why can't Sony. "
No it doesn't.
#13 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -
@Kamasama
@benpicko said:
" I'm pretty sure with that PSJailbreak thing you could play PS2 games. Why can't Sony. "
No it doesn't.
Well that's N4G for ya
#14 Posted by THRICE (167 posts) -

Backwards compatibility could be patched into the system. It seems like everyone forgets the short lived original 80gb model that had software emulation instead of having an on-board emotion chip.

#15 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

It really doesn't matter, dude. Why still play PS2 games?

#16 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Suddenly 2006?

#17 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -

I'm fairly certain that a patch isn't gonna add PS2 compatibility. the Ps3 is lacking hardware nessesery to play Ps2 games. Your other choice is emulation which is time consuming and ultimately not worth it from a business standpoint.

#18 Posted by HaroldoNVU (591 posts) -

I would be happy if they implement this. I really like the ps2 library but I wish I could just give my old ps2 to someone else and only having a single console on my living room.

#19 Posted by IceOrb (182 posts) -
@EpicSteve: Because they're fun?
#20 Posted by 02sfraser (847 posts) -

I can't see Sony bringing it back as a feature. The EU 60GB consoles had a PS2 software emulator rather than a piece of hardware, but it was rather sloppy and caused crashes. I have PS2 backwards compatibility but I would still rather use my PS2.

#21 Posted by Animasta (14672 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" It really doesn't matter, dude. Why still play PS2 games? "
I still have FFXII to go through again, I wanted to get Suikoden 5 since that's supposedly the good one, Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Okami...
#22 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

It would be quite a shock if they ended the PS2 cycle and I'm not sure that would be the best decision just yet. If I remember correctly it sold over one and half million units last year. It's certainly a drop, maybe even their biggest but the hardware and software sales still bring in a bit of money. Also over 100 new software titles were released for it in the US last year... remember that's the US, so it's probably safe to assume even more software was released in Japan.

If they do choose to end the PS2's long run, whether we see some sort of emulation software or hardware product is still on the fence. A software update would be a nice result as it would probably gain some support from current PS3 owners and may be useful as a sales device to entice new customers. However it might be a harder solution to create a piece of software that is capable of running those older titles without any problems (slowdowns, glitches and overall poor performance). A hardware device might be better performing but it would also be a risky move as they can't predict the sales. In the end it might not be that cost-effective.

I am one of the lucky ones...I chose to dive-in face first and buy a PS3 on release day therefore mine plays a large majority of the PS2 titles I still own.

#23 Posted by RavenX302 (258 posts) -
@IceOrb said:
" @EpicSteve: Because they're fun? "
Seriously. I haven't turned my PS3 on to play a game in well over a year. If I could play PS2 games on it, I would certainly have it running much more than that. I don't know what it is, but PS3 exclusives do not interest me in the slightest.
#24 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

I totally have a backwards compatible PS3 so I'm good.

#25 Posted by MattyFTM (14367 posts) -

It isn't as simple as running a patch and getting backwards compatibility. The early PS3 models contained the Emotion Engine and PS2 Graphics Synthesizer. It was basically like having a PS2 built into it to run PS2 games. Newer models have neither of these, and thus cannot run PS2 games.

They could develop some software emulation (which is how the 360 does BC) but that would be a major undertaking, that would cost a lot of money, and wouldn't be easy for them to make money off it.

#26 Posted by IceOrb (182 posts) -
@MattyFTM: 
The consoles that were released after the 60 gig (the early 80 gigs) used software emulation in combination with a PS2 CPU so they have partial emulation running on PS3.  There have been tons of leaks regarding Sony developing full software emulation for PS3 with the intent to sell it as an application on the PSN store. Which I'd honestly believe given the absolute killing they would make selling the damn thing.

On the slightly less legal side of things the guys who develop PS3 Jailbreak claimed many months ago to have a working PS2 emulator running on PS3. It's been awhile since I've checked in on this but as far I know nothing has been released regarding that. However they did make good on the two other claims they made when announcing the PS2 emulator stuff. (1. We'd soon be able to downgrade from any firmware. NOTE: That has been broken as of FW 3.55. 2. PSN Functionality would be patched back in. 3. PS2 full emulation would be patched into the console.) 

Regardless nothing has been released either officially or unofficially since the console has come out so your best bet is to either track down a 60 gig or an 80 gig. OR buy a PS2 which I can't imagine is gonna cost all that much.
#27 Posted by Damodar (1341 posts) -

I have an Australian launch PS3 and it has the software emulation. It's pretty hit and miss. Something like Ratchet and Clank 3 ran at about 10-15fps. 

Emulating completely different hardware like the emotion engine etc would be incredibly difficult to do properly. I would be surprised if it ever happens on PS3.

#28 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

I played the original God of War and God of War 2 on my ps3 with no problems. 
Kingdom hearts 2 on the other hand had a bug that was a gamestopper. Specifically one boss after his health dropped down enough, it would not decrease. I kept hitting him for 20 mins and it wouldnt drop. Found out later it was a problem of the emulation thing.
So i guess it was kinda random.

#29 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

If your lucky enough to find a 60GB PS3 for cheap, then congrats. Personally, I think you would be better off with an actual PS2. There are plenty out there (140 million) for cheap, and it's more fun to play games on their respective systems anyway.

#30 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Sony will never make the PS3 backward compatible again. The reason they eliminated BC from the 40 gb PS3s was that they still had some PS2s on stock that they wanted to sell, for people who didn't want to spend as much as $400+ (not sure how much exactly) on a newer 20GB or 40GB console.  When they finally stop making PS2s, they'll want people to buy a PS3 instead since it's way cheaper than the earlier versions. Also, they're pretty much not making money from PS2 games anymore since they're so cheap and people often buy them used anyway (I haven't seen a PS2 game in a store for a looong time).

I wouldn't count on seeing PS2 games on PSN as well: Sony's making all the HD polished versions of their hits instead, which is fine by me actually (can't wait for Ico and SotC HD).
I' m actually one of the lucky few who has the 60GB BC version :)

#31 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5254 posts) -
@THRICE said:

" Backwards compatibility could be patched into the system. It seems like everyone forgets the short lived original 80gb model that had software emulation instead of having an on-board emotion chip. "

I was thinking the same thing, however I do remember hearing how the software used to emulate the ps2 was pretty shotty to begin with. The ps2 is just kind of a bitch to emulate in the first place (supposedly) software-wise so it was a pretty select number of games that could work well whereas the 60gb and other models that had the hardware where 100% compatible. 

Some backwards compatibility would be better than none I guess.
#32 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

I'd imagine they were looking into digital distribution for some of the PS2 games, but I think that would still require some kind of emulation. I'd imagine that they'll just keep putting out HD remakes because those seem to be doing well - I'd die if an MGS or Silent Hill HD remix collection came out.

#33 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

I'll trade you my launch 60gb PS3 for a new slim :P 

But the ones that did have software emulation emulated PS2 games very very poorly. Games would crash, have super low FPS while others worked fine. Ones like my launch PS3 though had the actual PS2 graphics chip in it so it ran nearly exactly like a PS2.

#34 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -
@EpicSteve: 

That's a terrible philosophy to go by. The PS2 might be showing its age, but it still has a lot of great games.

So I guess in like 10 years from now you're going to stop playing the games that you play now because they're old?
#35 Posted by DukeTogo (1504 posts) -

At least I have this to make me feel a little better about spending $600 on a launch 60gb model.

#36 Edited by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -

Who the fuck is an avid gamer that doesn't already own a ps2? I've never understood how this was a big deal to anyone. If you want to complain about a lack of bc on the 360, or Wii, I'll listen, but not the most successful console of all time 

EDIT: I know that both the 360 and Wii work backwards. I meant that as a hypothetical if they didn't already have that feature
#37 Posted by Gaff (1711 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5: Well, ideally he would be playing the new games of 2020. Come to think of it, how many people actually play their old games? And by old, I mean a generation or more old. And "I haven't played one recently, but if I wanted to, I could" doesn't count.
#38 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -
@Gaff: 

I play old games all of the time.
#39 Posted by Bucketdeth (8007 posts) -

I doubt this feature will ever be back but I can see more PS2 Collections being released on the PS3 in the future.

#40 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -
@THRICE said:
" Backwards compatibility could be patched into the system. It seems like everyone forgets the short lived original 80gb model that had software emulation instead of having an on-board emotion chip. "
That wasn't the case. In the original 60gb model they had both the Emotion Engine and the Graphics Synthesiser silicon. In the 80gb model they software-emulated the Emotion Engine but they still had a hardware version of the Graphics Synthesiser. Emulating the EE wasn't great and meant a lot of games didn't work very well or just crashed. Later models contained neither of these PS2 components. Without the assistance of the GS hardware I don't think the PS3 has the grunt to emulate a PS2. Some dudes on the internet say they found some patents for emulating the GS using the RSX but the patent is 3 years old and details are sketchy and hella japanese. Some other dudes say they found a patent for some kind of USB dongle that would implement backwards compat. That looks more feasible but I'm sceptical they'll think it's worth the investment to deliver it.

Sony would probably much rather release HD versions of your old games on the PS Store, like they did for Prince of Persia Sands of Time and the upcoming Shadow of the Colossus/Ico collection.
#41 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" It really doesn't matter, dude. Why still play PS2 games? "
i know right. they're all old and ugly.
#42 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" @EpicSteve:   That's a terrible philosophy to go by. The PS2 might be showing its age, but it still has a lot of great games.  So I guess in like 10 years from now you're going to stop playing the games that you play now because they're old? "
Yep, cause I already played them. I'm sure if i went back to play Mass Effect 2 in 2020 that game would feel janky and old as hell. It's very rare I go back on games.
#43 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" @Mikewrestler5 said:
" @EpicSteve:   That's a terrible philosophy to go by. The PS2 might be showing its age, but it still has a lot of great games.  So I guess in like 10 years from now you're going to stop playing the games that you play now because they're old? "
Yep, cause I already played them. I'm sure if i went back to play Mass Effect 2 in 2020 that game would feel janky and old as hell. It's very rare I go back on games. "
I'm assuming that you don't buy games then? Because if you do, then that would be pretty pointless.
#44 Edited by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'll be really happy if this does happen.  I realllly fucking want to play persona 4, but I'm not buying a 6th PS2 to play one game.

#45 Edited by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

You do know it almost 2011 right?
I haven't played a ps2 game since persona 4 came out, and I don't miss them.
I also own 300 PS2 games

#46 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" @Mikewrestler5 said:
Yep, cause I already played them. I'm sure if i went back to play Mass Effect 2 in 2020 that game would feel janky and old as hell. It's very rare I go back on games. "
I'm assuming that you don't buy games then? Because if you do, then that would be pretty pointless. "
My play style is hitting up new releases, get through them, and move on to the next title. I buy games that offer significant amount of play opportunity. I can't rent games in a lot of cases because my schedule doesn't give me a guaranteed gap of time. So I buy most releases that are worth a damn. I'll go back to FFIX for a playthrough every three years or so because it's my favorite game of all times. Even that game is hard to go back to for the first couple of hours.
#47 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -
@EpicSteve: 

Unless you review games for a living, I seriously think you're making a bad invest by buying games all the time and hardly playing them upon finishing them. There are rental services available, you know. But hey, what do I know?
#48 Posted by Raven_Sword (3444 posts) -

I dont get the big deal with BC. Plug in your old PS2 if you wanna play them. theyll play better that way since PS3s BC wasnt that great anyway.
#49 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

The key difference: the PS1 chip is super cheap and super easy to put in the system.  I remember hearing someone saying something to the effect of the chip that can handle the system running PS1 games natively is essentially a sound chip on the PS3 motherboard. 

PS2 still requires the Emotion Engine chip, which by all accounts is still costly enough to Sony that they're willing to forego the support.

#50 Posted by nick_verissimo (1383 posts) -

I thought we were all over this by now?  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.