Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 and Linux - quick replies please!

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Lashe

Okay, a guy at my dad's work bought himself a PS3, played Killzone 2 and is now getting rid of it because he prefers the 360. The price is £150, aka DIRT FUCKING CHEAP!

I had been searching around the market for a PC tower/shuttle to hook up to my TV and use but upon hearing the price that this guy was looking for I had to take a step back; the difference in price between the tower I was looking at and this PS3 is negligible when compared to the features that a PS3 could bring. 

I know that the PS3 has good support for Linux and this might in fact be the best option so long as the distribution is well featured. I wouldn't be using it for anything beyond surfing, IM'ing and working/researching for University -- will the PS3 be able to fulfill these (admittedly few) needs? If so, what distribution(s) do you recommend?

Thanks in advance =]

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

You could probably achieve that with the built in PS3 browser, but I don't know how fast it would be. I personally haven't installed Linux, but there are a bunch of Youtube users who have which could give you an example of what to expect.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Godwind

Linux is free for your computer.

Is there an advantage for you to have a PS3 as a computer?

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lashe

@Godwind

As much as I appreciate the reply, did you bother to read the OP?

"I had been searching around the market for a PC tower/shuttle to hook up to my TV and use but upon hearing the price that this guy was looking for I had to take a step back; the difference in price between the tower I was looking at and this PS3 is negligible when compared to the features that a PS3 could bring. "

To develop; I mean that I could effectively get a fully functional PC as well as a PS3 - a console, media player and Blu-Ray player - for approximately the price of the tower I had been looking at.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The ps3 doesn't support linux fully and linux does not support ps3 fully, you can do some things but you get no access whatsoever to the graphics card in the ps3 that i know of.
    your looking at the most basic linux functions.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By myke_tuna

Yeah, but I think that's all he wants. Basic functions. Web browsing, IM'ing, and research *which is most likely just browsing again* aren't that intensive and I'm pretty sure the PS3 versions/distros of Linux can handle that. SO if I'm correct and that's all you want to do on it Lashe, then sure. Go right ahead. Need to research how installing is done though. I was thinking of doing it myself *just to do it* and it seems fairly easy. Notice the "fairly". lol.

removesstains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By removesstains

Yes TC the PS3 running Ubuntu would more then likely meet your needs. I would advise making some adjustments to Ubuntu however, like turning off bluetooth, power mangement, stuff like like. Also i would connect the PS3 to the internet via ethernet. Basically you want to cut as much of the fat out as possible to make Ubuntu run faster on it.

Check out psubuntu.com they have all the imformation you need and they tell you everything you need to know to speed it up. You can find that here http://psubuntu.com/wiki/SpeedUpPSUbuntu.

Good luck and have fun learning linux. If you do get a desktop as well, i would recommend using Linux Mint on it. Its a derivative of Ubuntu and comes with all the codecs you need preinstalled, like flash. Plus IMO i fill Mint is more stable and looks nicer as well.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By shrig32

It can do all of those things, but don't expect it to be too powerful. I tried GNU/Linux on mine for a while, it wasn't bad. There's a custom build of various distros to suit the PS3, or you could use Yellow Dog which is designed from the ground up to work with the PS3. I personally didn't like the window manager, though. Xfce or Gnome are much better >.>
    Anyway. As you're new to linux, give the custom build of Ubuntu a go =)

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lashe

Haha just so people know - I'm far from a linux n00b, just a PS3 one =P Been using Ubuntu for.. 6 years now?

Anyway, I bought the PS3 and it shall be in the post tomorrow -- pretty psyched! Cheers to everyone who replied, seems like this will do me just fine!

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By shrig32

Yup! Just bare in mind it's PPC architecture, so some things won't run unless it was compiled that way. Adobe Flash player, for example- but there are open source alternatives for that these days.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By StaticFalconar
    Lashe said:
    "Haha just so people know - I'm far from a linux n00b, just a PS3 one =P Been using Ubuntu for.. 6 years now? Anyway, I bought the PS3 and it shall be in the post tomorrow -- pretty psyched! Cheers to everyone who replied, seems like this will do me just fine!"
    Well it seems like you're good to go, only thing you have to keep in mind is some versions of Linux work better than others on the PS3, but if you're willing to go through all that hassle (and it seems you do since you've been using Linus for a while now) you will like the end result.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.